Spaceballs (1987)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Spaceballs (1987) 96 minutes.

Directed by Mel Brookes.

I used to like Mel Brookes - Silent Movie, Young Frankenstein - but this was his lowest point. It is a one joke spoof - Star Wars - there are some funny lines - Lord Dark Helmet is a good joke - but it is not enough to sustain the whole film.

Well a lot of people do like it from the reviews here.

http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0094012

I loved Space Balls, it's one of my favorite movies. I can't believe how many people I've talked to who don't like it. I guess you have to be either drunk or just in a silly mood to watch the one.

The best parts of the movie I liked were.
The Instant Home Video skit. And my fave the meeting of yogert and his power of merchandizing.

ZachWZ

I didn't say that I didn't like it and on further reflection, it still is very funny. But I would not rank it against 'Blazing Saddles' by Mel Brookes for instance, and also I like the recent 'Galaxy Quest' Star Trek spoof much better.

I love stupid-funny movies, and this one is at the top of my list ;) :rain:

Yippie!

Yippie! I'm so happy to have found this site! I had no idea what was hidden in the "FILM" section. I should have known. I was looking for Star Wars, but stopped in my tracks when I saw Spaceballs! Me and my sisters and my cousin have been quoting this movie to each other for years! And almost the entire movie is quotable! It's so funny and stupid that it hurts to laugh so much...but it is excellent! Even my Dad cracks up at a lot of parts. I just recently viewed the trailer (over and over again). It is just soooooooooooooooo funny! I especially like when one of the spaceballs who is "combing the desert" says "We aint found GONG". I almost fell off of my chair! :rolly2:

i think this was a great spoof movie. it had all the esential elements. it was great. absolutely hilarious.

It would be great if they did a prequel to Spaceballs, wouldn't it?
How cool would that be?

that would be great! but they'd probably have to wait till after ep III.

Because it will be able to hopefully tell the story of how the Spaceballs came to power & have all the problems that they had in the original film too :rolly2: :rolly2:

I'd forgotten about the non-Star Wars jokes in it:

The 'beam me up Snotty' sketch -- when his head is back to front and he scratches his butt.

The 'Planet of the Apes' part -- when the head of the 'maid' spaceship crashes and it looks like the Statue of Liberty.

The fact that their ship is a Recreational Vehicle with wings - 'Morons from Outer Space' copies this, and it is the only funny thing in that film!

The bumper stickers - "We Brake for No one" & "I love Uranus"

"I told you never to contact me on this wall, this is an unlicensed wall!" - in the bathroom.

"Stop looking up my cans" - Dot Matrix to Barth.

Don't forget the Indiana Jones joke - the part 2 where Mog's partner sleeps with his hat exactly like the way D. Jones does!

:blush:

Great Film

I like that bit where they're rescuing Princess Vespa and then get locked out of the Eagle 5. Vespa gets her hair shot and then proceeds to shoot down all of the attacking Spaceballs.

Another good bit is where Dark Helmet first appears like Darth Vader and then starts choking. He then opens his helmet and say's: "I can't breathe in this thing!":D