What is Red Dwarf?

Not a new series, alas, but there is a one hour special (or two thirty minute episodes, whichever, it amounts to the same). It sees the crew apparently returning to earth. It broadcasts on the Dave channel on the 10th April.

There's a picture on the BBC website at the moment:

BBC News | Enlarged Image

I can't wait!

This is an eight-year old thread you've resurrected, so I'm not going to apologise for any mistakes I made in the information.

There was a cinematic film being made. I was following the progress and I'm sure some of it was actually filmed, but it ran out of cash. Is this TV special the same thing?

Why would it air first on the Dave channel? It would surely be on BBC1 or BBC2? The audience for it would be enormous.

Have you got a link to the information? Most of the old Red Dwarf websites no longer work.

Was't looking for an appoligy Dave, just filling in a gap as i would have done if i hade been here eight years ago. (I didn't even have a computer then)

I think Dave (the channel) has the rights to the show now, as it seems to be buying up more and more of the BBC shows, they really seem to be pushing now. They have their own shows and the rights to the world rally now too.
Maybe they are set to take over the world:p

(people still read the thread as i followed it from the 'Whos on line' page)

Well, Dave's the "Home of Comedy" now, and they're having it as a kind of Red Dwarf special over four days -- perhaps the BBC couldn't find enough space in its schedule to devote entirely to this programme. Also, apparently it's Dave's attempt to screen new stuff rather than just repeats. See Wikipedia for all this juicy information!

Red Dwarf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was apparently going to be an improvised special, with no cue cards or planning, just the cast trying to recreate classic Red Dwarf moments, but Wikipedia mentions that this may be changed for a third episode (either's good for me, although the improvised thing would be awesome to watch).

Latest news from the Official Red Dwarf site:

Red-Through | News | Red Dwarf

And also on that website is a story behind the picture I posted in my last message, with their appearing in Coronation Street, and how the story, although apparently sees the crew returning to earth, as with Red Dwarf, may not be all that it seems.

Woot!

Edit: Damnit, Slow, you just keep leaping in before me!

Not sure if Dave actually own the rights to the show, but the new episodes were definitely commissioned by them. Given that Dave is part-owned by the BBC (along with Virgin Media), I wouldn't be at all surprised if the episodes also wind up on BBC2 at some point.

Edit: oh, fiddlesticks. Gazzumped by a newt.:rolleyes:

Why would it air first on the Dave channel? It would surely be on BBC1 or BBC2? The audience for it would be enormous.

The BBC weren't interested in recommissioning Red Dwarf. The quote was something along the lines of "The BBC are no longer interested in the audience that Red Dwarf used to attract" it was announced at Dimension Jump in 2007.

Hope that helps! :)

I'm surprised by that quote as it seems like exactly the kind of audience BBC3 is aimed at, but I don't make TV programmes, I just watch them, so what do I know?