Dave

Non Bio
Staff member

Attachments

• reddwarf_ship.jpg
    reddwarf_ship.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 20,361
Subject: What is RED DWARF?

RED DWARF is a British science fiction comedy series that has been on the air in the U.K. since 1988. It is the brainchild of "Grant Naylor", a creative team consisting of Rob Grant and Doug Naylor, who write and produce the show. The premise of the show is best summed up by the opening narration used in the first series: "This is an S.O.S. distress call from the mining ship Red Dwarf. The crew are dead, killed by a radiation leak. The only survivors are Dave Lister, who was in suspended animation during the disaster, and his pregnant cat, who was safely sealed in the hold. Revived three million years later, Lister's only companions are a life-form who evolved from his cat, and Arnold Rimmer, a hologram simulation of one of the dead crew." --- Holly, the ship's computer.

The regular cast of the series is:
Dave Lister...............................Craig Charles
Arnold Rimmer..............................Chris Barrie Holly.....................................Norman Lovett (series 1-2) Hattie Hayridge (series 3-5)
The Cat................................Danny John-Jules Kryten.................................Robert Llewellyn

RED DWARF is also a series of novels based on the TV show. The novels greatly expand on, and are greatly different from, the show. Many of the same ideas appear in the novels, but these ideas are put together in new and interesting ways. Three novels have been published so far: RED DWARF: INFINITY WELCOMES CAREFUL DRIVERS by Grant Naylor ISBN 0-14-012437-3 Penguin, 1989 RED DWARF: BETTER THAN LIFE by Grant Naylor ISBN 0-14-012438-1 Penguin, 1990 RED DWARF: THE LAST HUMAN by Doug Naylor ISBN 0-67-085255-4 Viking, 1995 To everyone's surprise, THE LAST HUMAN was written by Doug Naylor only. The paperback edition will be published in October 1995. Rob Grant has expressed interest in writing a book based on RED DWARF, but it's not known whether he will do so. The first two novels have also been published in one volume: RED DWARF OMNIBUS by Grant Naylor ISBN 0-14-017466-4 Penguin, 1991 This combined rerelease also contains the script for "Dave Hollins, Space Cadet" (one of the SON OF CLICHE sketches that started it all --a reproduction of the beer mat on which the idea for Red Dwarf was allegedly first written, and the original script for "The End" (the first episode of the series).

Subject: Where can I see RED DWARF in the United States? RED DWARF is seen on public television stations across the country. If your local PBS station doesn't show it, write to them, and convince your friends to write to them, until they do! All six series are available for purchase by PBS member stations. If you don't know when (or if) your local PBS station shows RED DWARF, check your local listings or call the station and ask.

Subject: Where can I get videotapes of RED DWARF?

Videotapes of Series 1 through 6 are available at video stores in the throughout the British Commonwealth and in the U.S. In Australia, all episodes are available from ABC stores (along with books, T-shirts, and other RD merchandise). In the Netherlands, you can get them from W.H. Smith stores. In Sweden, Series 1-5 and the Smeg-Ups tape are available from: SF-Bokhandeln Stora Nygatan 45 111 27 Stockholm. Telephone: 08/21 50 52. Fax: 08/24 77 30. E-mail: order@sfbok.se WWW: http://www.sfbok.se/sfbok/sfbok.html.

Who is Grant Naylor?

The "About the Author" note in the RED DWARF novels has this to say about the creator(s) of the series: "Grant Naylor is a gestalt entity occupying two bodies, one of which lives in north London, the other in south London. The product of a horribly botched genetic-engineering experiment, which took place in Manchester in the late fifties, they try to eke out two existences with only one mind. They attended the same school and the same university, but, for tax reasons, have completely different wives. The first body is called Rob Grant, the second Doug Naylor. Among other things, they spent three years in the mid-eighties as head writers of SPITTING IMAGE; wrote Radio Four's award-winning series SON OF CLICHE; penned the lyrics to a number one single; and created and wrote RED DWARF for BBC television. They have made a living variously by being ice-cream salesmen, shoe-shop assistants and by attempting to sell dodgy life-assurance policies to close friends. They also spent almost two years on the night shift loading paper into computer printers at a mail-order factory in Ardwick. They can still taste the cheese 'n' onion toasties. Their favourite colour is orange." Grant Naylor's number one single was "The Chicken Song," a SPITTING IMAGE spinoff. Philip Pope composed the music and produced the record, which was released in 1986 by Virgin Records.

wow daivd the techinical expert! and here was me thinking we could just be silly...;) chhers! (have converted asmile, the world will soon follow...;))

U missed a character out!

Christine Kachanski..............Chloe Annette

What? oh i know this isn't anything to do with R-D but has anyone seen Pearl Harbour? Is it good? i wanna go see on the 14th

I copied that stuff, and it only went up to season 5. That's why it doesn't say Kristine Kochansky in it.

Chloe Annette played her in the last season, but two questions.

(i) Was she was played by the woman from 'Altered Images' pop group in the first episodes? I've forgotten her name. Or was it her sister? And was that the same one that was in 'Gregory's Girl'? It's not a quiz, I just would like to know if someone can tell me!

(ii) Also I know Chloe Annette was in 'Crime Traveller', has she been in anything else?

YEEESSSSS!!! KILL THE STUPID FURRY ANIM...... ummmm sorry seem to be in the wrong thread. *jessa backs off sheepishly*

"NURSE, THE SCREENS"

*men in white coats take Jessa away*

I haven't seen 'Pearl Harbour' myself but there are some threads in chit-chat about it. 'Shrek' is good though, took my kids last Wednesday.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE ME AWAY!!!!! *jessa starts screaming hysterically*:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Want to see Shrek swell. Got cameron and mikey and ......some....one...else....can't remember who.

Red Dwarf

Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't that a British comedy sci fi?
I remember the earlier version with a cat guy who spun around, sprayed things with a spray can saying..
"that's mine..that's mine, this is mine.." and tomorrow I'll see if I can....with one of them." I may have misquoted..it's been a long time

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

just reading this thread makes me blush. i think i have grown up slightly since that last post...........maybe...........maybe not.......ermmmmm;) ;) ;)