Pratchett Essentials

I would recommend non-Discworld series like Johnny Maxwell and Bromeliad. Somehow these young fantasy books seem more mature than many Discworld. They have more serious stories and themes, more believeable (if less comical) characters, and, finally, more nerve.

Also look out for A Hat Full of Sky.

I'm reading Guards! Guards! at the moment, and I can see why it's so highly recommended - it is very funny with some classic moments. I'm now much more enthusiastic about Pratchett, but the same flaws that are in some of his other work are still here - it's longer than it needs to be, which detracts from it (I'm starting to feel that you can't keep up decent humour for 400 pages).
As it's the only Pratchett I've really enjoyed (other than Good Omens with Neil Gaiman), I'd definitely suggest starting with Guards! Guards!

Oh, I always have difficulty with recommending 'top 5s' but like Bandsmurf I would suggest reading the first book of each 'grouping'. A lot of people say to go for the stand alone books first, and that is all very well, or you could simply chose to read the things in the correct order (but we all know that librarys never, ever stock the second and third books in a series so this would present difficulites.) So go for 1) Guards! Guards! (fav 'Watch' book? Feet of Clay) 2) Equal Rites (Witches) 3) The Light Fantastic (Rincewind/Wizards) and 4) Mort (Death)

Stand Alones? Pyramids, Soul Music, Hogfather, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and Sourcery (although these may come under, 'Watch', 'Death', 'Wizard' or 'Patrician'.) Plus of course the Tiffany Aching books ('Witches')

Go for the nightwatch, it's a much darker novel than the others and is equally funny.

I started with Equal Rites and found okay and probably wound not have read another Pratchett book until I found Moving Pictures as an audiobook on tape. It converted me instantly. I've read about 10 of the Disc's books since and really liked:

Moving Pictures
A Hatful of Sky
Guards, Guards
Going Postal

Most of these I listened to as Audiobooks. Unabridged of course. There's a few publishers that's done these. The new ones by HarperAudio read by Stephen Briggs are excellent. The old ones read by Isis audio are really good, I think the narrator was Nigel Planer (according to Amazon I'm all wrong about the publisher and narrator though). There are ones done by multiply narrators a few years ago by Fantastic Audio which I didn't care for. Whenever they switched narrators I had to ask myself why. Ultimately a distraction from the story.

Hogfather
Hogfather
Hogfather
Hogfather
and, last but not least
Witches Abroad ;)

Does no one here consider Monstrous Regiment to be a top-fiver? I've only read probably half of the Discworld books, but I like Monstrous Regiment, Soul Music, and Going Postal the most.

Interesting.
The three novels you mentioned are all primarily around distinct "one-off" characters, which the exception of Death's long cameo in Soul Music.
I agree because they had new characters and helped expand the Discworld universe, but my favourite Discworld novel is Small Gods (also a one-off)

But then the rest of my top five are as follows:
Jingo
Reaper Man
Interesting Times
Witches Abroad

i would suggest

small gods
going postel (on newer novel from 2004 i believe...)
witches abroad i found hilarious
and if u like his writing good omens is hilarious but its on earth..

death is one of my fav characters so reaper man is really funny,,, death takes a vacation is really funny as well as hogfather where death has to do the job os the hogfather which is the discworld version of santa clause..i think hogfather was one of my fav books

Any book featuring the Watch;

Guards,Guards
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo (A crime so big, there's no Law Against it).

Or read the blurb and pick one. Apart from Monstrous Regiment, any one is worth a look, although The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are not as good as some of the later ones.