Planet of the Apes (1968)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Planet of the Apes (1968) 119 minutes.

Directed by Franklin Schaffer.

Written by Rod Serling, Michael Wilson.
Based on the novel 'Monkey Planet' by Pierre Boulle.

http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0063442

A very popular, groundbreaking, film, stylish and thought provoking. The Ape make-up is great. And not until Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country did Hollywood see as many extras in full-body costumes again.

Astronauts caught in a time warp land on a planet in the distant future, where men have become beasts and Apes have taken over.
The original novel is in French, and I haven't read a translation, but I was told that in the book, the planet is not Earth. Of course everyone remembers the ending of the film version which proves that it is. That is one of those cinema great scenes.

Cast:
Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter, Maurice Evans, James Whitmore, James Daly, Linda Harrison.

Sequels followed:
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1969)
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)

An excellent TV series followed those in 1974, then a cartoon series in 1975.

There is a new film directed by Tim Burton, but sadly they can never replace Roddy McDowall, in my opinion.

http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0133152

Planet of the Apes (2001)

This was on the Dark Horizons site today:

"More on that rumoured Lincoln Memorial shooting and an explanation that sounds quite plausible (and is potentially spoiler filled):

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

W
A
R
N
I
N
G

"I work for a hotel chain and get to talk to a lot of people coming from all over the US...Cleveland is a major legal center for federal cases being tried in the Midwest. One of the attorneys staying with us lives in DC. He and I started talking about the rumored filming around the Lincoln Memorial and he said that (1) it did happen and (2) they did not put a hat or a mask over Lincoln, but instead put a blue-screen cloth over it. Actually, the cloth was bright green supposedly. The attorney got this from a source within the US Park Service, which has lots of red tape wrapped around the protection of all US monuments.
His friend told him that Lincoln's face will be digitally removed and the face of the chimp Proteus will be placed over it. Proteus is the chimp that lands on the ape world after passing through a time rift. When Leo gets to the planet, it is already a millenia after Proteus lands. The chimp's arrival upset the natural balance of the planet long ago, with the humans of that time believing this to be some kind of God. Fast forward a thousand years and you find the Lincoln Memorial, but with Proteus the chimp in the place of the Great Emancipator. It's not Earth, but along the lines of convergent evolution the design for this monument and the famous American one are strikingly similar (like the Pyramids of Egypt and the Pyramids of the Mayans are similar)."

This relates to the Tim Burton Film currently in production. If it is not set on Earth then it sounds more faithful to the original books. Apparently, they've now stopped filming at the Lincoln Memorial though, because thousands of fans have been phoning up the Casting Deptartment pretending to want parts as extras, so they can find out where the set is, and they have mostly succeeded.

Cool! would love to see that! ummm ... did you see the one where the Apes go to the past cause the watch the earth explode and go back to when we ruled the earth. at the end I knew The baby they left was the true baby and not the other baby. :aliengray

I've seen all the films. I think the first is the best, and although still good, they get progressively poorer as they go on. The TV series was excellent, pity it didn't run longer than one season.

I was a bit unsure of this new film, but after I read that report I want to see it.

There was a series with two Astronauts and Roddy McDowall as the chimpanzee who helps them to escape. They then travel around the 'Ape' world with a different story each week, but always having to avoid the Gorrilas. They enter an old city in one episode, build a hanglider in another.

It has recently been on the European SciFi Channel. I'm sure it will be back, and back again, and again.... (see my previous post on that subject:)

SciFi Channel run the same old things again and again

Planet of the Apes (2001)

Cast Overview:
Mark Wahlberg..............Leo Davidson
Helena Bonham Carter...Ari
Tim Roth........................General Thade
Michael C. Duncan.........Attar
Estella Warren................Daena
Kris Kristofferson...........Karubi
Paul Giamatti...................Limbo
Glenn Shadix...................Senator Nado
Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa....Krull
Erick Avari.....................Tival
Emmy Collins
Luke Eberl
Evan D. Parke
Lisa Marie
Spike Jonze
George Clooney............Ape General

Plot: The year: 2029.

The place: distant space.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

W
A
R
N
I
N
G

The situation: On board the space station Oberon interstellar exploration-missions are assigned to chimpanzees that have been trained by human astronauts. After receiving an alien signal from outer space, the chimp Pericles is sent out in a high-tech exploration-vessel. As he's heading towards the destination, suddenly he loses all contact to the space station and disappears from its radars. The fearless astronaut Leo Davidson ignores his commander's orders and boards another one-man exploration-vessel to save Pericles. This vessel, too, starts to have troubles, but before he knows it, Leo's survival-equipment goes out and he loses consciousness.

When he finally comes to, his vessel is scraping against the tree tops of jungle-like woods before it crashes into the mud. The second he's finally found ground under his feet, Leo is almost run over by a herd [they're like animals, right?] of scared, primitive humans. He only manages to notice the tattoos on their faces, before he gets captured along with the humans by barbaric, speaking apes, who rule over the human race on this planet. After a daring escape, Leo gathers a group of rebellious humans and willing apes to look for the Oberon, in the hope to be saved. He makes a great impression on both the apes and humans in his group and wins their trust. Strengthened by the knowledge that humans and apes can live together as equals [aaaaaaaw!], Leo & Co. fight against an establishment of systematic misinformation and against a merciless group of war-hungry apes who're on their pursuit.

Confronted with this upside-down world, Leo's heart, conscience and military training lead him to organize a great human rebellion, demanding full freedom for the human race. While Leo's organizing his strategies for the impending war, he makes a very important and shocking discovery that changes his insight into this world completely, and immediately increases his personal importance in the battle even further.

RELEASE DATES:
USA - July 27th 2001, Australia - August 9th 2001
Argentina - November 15th 2001, Belgium - September 19th 2001
France - August 29th 2001, Israel - August 9th 2001

Film Poster.

I can't wait either, there seems to be very little on at the cinema at the moment that I want to see.

This is a poster for sale at ebay. I cleaned up the image a little because it was pretty distorted.

Attachments

• apes.jpg
    apes.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 560
No problem!

It's a pity it doesn't have the release date for the UK though, I may have to wait until the end of the year. It is advertised at my local cinema, I saw a poster when I took my kids to see "Spy Kids".

Does anyone know the release date for the UK?

Even if it is just you and me, here are some websites:

http://upcomingmovies.com/planetoftheapes.html
(lots on the 2001 film's early development)

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3774

http://www.simiancentral.com/

http://www.spleenworld.com/apes/
(only an index page, rest of the site seems to be dead.)

You should try and see the TV series, I used to watch it every week when it was first aired in the 70's. It has been on the European SciFi Channel last year. It must be on some channel where you are.

Back