Favourite Discworld characters?

Re: Favourite Discworld characters? + who would it be?

i like nanny ogg as one of my favourite...shes so sirly its awesome..

death is always at the top,,especially in hogfather...death as santa was just too funny..

i like the book where thier is a character that stand along in that book..

like pyramids...

moving pictures and soul music...

death of rats is awesome..

the watch cracks me up...

i enjoy all characters truthfully///

how can u bad mouth rincewind,.,,whats better than a wizzard????

he is the true coward...he survives always and his hour glass pours randomly which is quite humourous...has anyone read the last hero...hes quite funny in that illustrated storybook...

the games are quite fun...they play like the games of old..which now they kind of are old...but i played the first discworld game and was quite happy walking around anhk-morpork as rincewind/./who was voiced by eric idle///anytime i read a rincewind title i hear mr.idle,,.which doesnt bother me because i love monty python/// i hope to see a movie..but quite frankly would never want it to blow up like lord of the rings or harry potter,,at the same time i would be mad if it wasnt considered better,,,however i would not want 14 year old posers wandering around reading the discworld because of some movie,,and pretending they understand it,,,and of course they would ,miss the clever footnotes because they would lose thier place,.,.

anyways,,,i enjoy everything ive seen or read about the discworld..and i just wish i could find the yearbooks in canada,,especially the unseen university yearbook...anyways...as my all time fav character...i wuld have to say cohen...and the horde,,,they crack me up beyond control...

any idead from anyone on ideas for actors if a movie transpired...??? because of hte game..i would love to see eric idle as rincewind...but im afraid he is too old now for color of magic...i know rincewind is supposed to be slightly old..but not really so it would be a stretch...i also picure a younger clint eastwood as vimes..but meh...not so much anymore...
i now shes already a whitch in harry potter but the old women who plays the whitch..and is also in hook as wendy..and sister act as the head nun.///she would make a good granny weatherwax...

the real question how ever...would be vetrinari????

death's just omnipresent...
... and who could not love Nanny Ogg? Especially when showing her perfect knowledge of foreign languages: "Hotel ... No ... Va ... cancies. Hotel Nova Cancies. That means 'new, er, Cancies' in foreign."
mh... the Vampires :) Remember, ve are not bloodsuckers.
What is missing from *AMPY*ISM? V R!

But I'm a little bit dissappointet that noone mentioned Great A'tuin before. What would the discwold be without its carrier?

Last edited:
Right, this is going to sound like a face/off but here are my fav characters.

1. Granny/Vimes (world champion scrappers)

2. Death/Ventinari (somber heavy weights)

3. Ridcully/Detritus (natural orators, peacemakers and hellraisers)

4. Carrot/Librarian (honourable and dangerous)

5. Lu-Tze/Cohan (archaic lethal weapons)

Fav Groups in order: Sliver Horde, Watch, Wizards, Witches and Monstorous Reg.

i find vimes is the best but rincewind is cool too! those two dudes rock!

Death ... Although inevitably a part of life, he's always ignored so I really love this portrayal of him. And he loves cats. ;)

Luggage definitely ... at least it usually knows what is going on and what needs to be done. And all those little legs pretty neat. There is also the infinite possibilities it offers.

Granny Weatherwax ... With a name like
[SIZE=-1]Esmeralda and headology, what is there not to love. Plus she's got a good use for the almanac.[/SIZE]

Tsujigiri said:
Yes you could....probably with a stick....

You could, but what he would do with the stick once he'd broken your arm.....
I like Vimes and Carrot is great, but what about Magrat ? So used to dealing with Granny Weatherwax that when faced with two snakes in human form (WA) and the elf-queen (LL) she managed to win.

LF = Light Fantastic?
I quite enjoyed that one, although I agree a lot of the focus was on Genghis Cohen and Rincewind was merely passing (running?) through :)

not sure what COM is though.

My favourite recent Rincewind novel was The Last Continent.

Colour of Magic...

The best is hard to choose, as there are so many cool books.

The thing about Rincewind's character is he is used as a plot advancement, to meet interesting people...

I've got two, Vimes and Granny Weatherwax.
1. Vimes because he's cynical and sticks up for what's right no matter how deep in the cack he'll get and
2. Granny Weatherwax because of headology and the way she's so down to earth despite being a witch (end of Maskerade "Never choose a name you can't scrub the floor in). Oh and the way she knows her own mind so well

My absolute favorite, like many people's here, is Death. I LOVE his completely straight-faced irony and humor. Cracks me up every time. I also really like Susan. I hope another book about her comes out soon, as I'd like to see what goes on with her and Lobsang!

I also like the monk, but I forget his name. Lao-tze? The one who, in Thief of Time, describes the workings of the universe in ways that make you think "Oh!" until the other monk says, "That's not how it works at all!"

death,cpl nobbs,vimes and cut me own throat are all fantastic

rincwind just bores me sorry!!

hi, am a newby... but a huge TP fan and want to add my favs to your list!

top for me is Rinsewind - very funny, you have to sympathise with him!
Nanny Ogg is my second - she reminds me of my Granny! honestly... she was great!
and number 3, Sam Vimes - grew to like him more and more in Night Watch and Thud.

but you will agree with me, there are loads of fantastic charactors in the Discworld - they're like the presents in a game of pass the parcel - you just keep peeling off the layers.

keep em comin TP!

I never read Terry Pratchett' books in public; I can't help burst out laughing.
Lol (literally), me too. I never drink while reading Pratchett either, unless I don't mind a trip to the emergancy room.

Top five is too few. Top ten:
1) Susan
2) Angua
3)Carrot
4) Granny Weatherwax
5) The librarian
6) Death
7) Igor (any one)
8) Nobby
9) Cheery (Cheri) Littlebottom
10) Vetinari

I don't know what it is about Rincewind, the character is good, but COM and LF weren't.
The thing with COM is it was his 1st full blown Discword book, where he took the P or extracted the urine out of the fantasy genre,which being a fantasy reader mainly I find funny. What did it for me was the passage where he mentions about the 2 unsavoury rouges walking up the road(you would have to have read "Fritz Leibers" Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser books to get it)as Pterry says himself if he was writing COM now it would be completely different,it is still one of my favorite books as LF:)

Last edited:
I've only just started out in Discworld, so I haven't met many characters. But I do love Rincewind (yet I can't help but miss out that stupid letter and keep calling him RICEwind!)

And, of course, you gotta love Death. Keeps popping up and trying to take Rincewind off. Hehe.

I will no doubt add to this when I read more of the Discworld novels!