Nobby
Sibyl
Susan
Granny Weatherwax
Death
Quoth the raven
Leonard of Quirm
The Librarian
The Archchancellor (I'm sure I used to work with him)
Annoia, the goddess of things stuck in drawers

I'm midway now through the DW series(doing it out of chronological sequence) and feel that I have a good feel for these entertaining characters. I love them ALL.

I love the 3 witches which have their own unique and endearing qualities---
I'm hoping TP writes more with them featured---I was disappointed when Magrat left the coven just as her character was coming more alive:(.

I love the Ankh Morpork characters. Samuel Vimes has got to be my favorite.
I can see Matt Frewer ( Max Headroom,Matt Preager in the Psi Factor series) playing his role--or perhaps Kevin Klein. I picture one of them nonchalantly lighting a cigar off a baby swamp dragon and delivering surly,sarcastic lines.

How is Vimes pronounced, by the way? I've been pronouncing it as if it rhymes with limes, but in *Fifth Elephant* Igor lisped it out as Vimeth.

The wizards so far are my least favorite of the characters.

I haven't read any of the books where the death characters are heavily featured. From all the comments here I should be prepared for some more evenings of staying up late with my reading when these books show up in my mailbox.

Ronnie-the koatic milkman
and
Lu-Tze-the sweeper
their both just so... strange they make sense.

Last edited:
Ye gods man, what a question! I'd have to say Death is my favourite, though. Pratchett has a knack that I've never read any other writer have, and that's to have convincing characters that never say much but have some of the best personalities. That ability to convey a character with a simple 'Ook' or SQUEAK or moving of Sapient Pearwood parts is a magical skill that continues to astound me. So I'd say just a little below Death is The Luggage, The Librarian and The Death of Rats.

The Luggage. Loyal, funny and wise . . . possibly the best fantasy character EVER invented . . .

Also gotta love Granny Weaterwax . . .

Just finished re-reading Thud! and it's simply got to be His Grace Commander Samuel Vimes, Duke of Ankh. Brilliant at managing downwards but also pretty damn smart when managing upwards eg dealing with the Patrician.