Donaldson, Stephen R. : Thomas Covenant Series

Bene Gesserit

Hey anyone ever read these two series by Donaldson? I think he is just as great as Tolkien or perhaps better since I happen to prefer his books. But they both tend to choose the unlikely character for their hero.

I read these two series a long time ago and really enjoyed them. I haven't read anything else by Stephen Donaldson for some reason. Better than Tolkein? That's going a bit far though!

Donaldson vs Tolkien

Originally posted by david676
I read these two series a long time ago and really enjoyed them. I haven't read anything else by Stephen Donaldson for some reason. Better than Tolkein? That's going a bit far though!

I have a thing about authors, when I find one I like I try to read everything he's written. I guess I would say better because his story appeals to me as an adult where as Tolkien was my childhood/ early teen years. I've read most of Donaldson's other stuff as well but they were not as memorable. Which chronicle do you prefer 1st or 2nd?

I'm not sure. It was a long time ago!
I think the first three books- I read them one after the other.
He was still writing the second chronicles so I had to wait for them to be published. (I told you it was a long time ago).

i think Donaldson is far better than Tolkien... (but i havent read Tolkien in years!!)... every time i reread the Covenant series i go a little deeper into the storyline and the characters.. they are VERY complex...

as to which i prefer, the 1st or the 2nd.. hmm.. that;s a toughie... the first has Covenant struggling to believe what is real, struggling to accept the land...
in the 2nd, he accepts the land, but has to come to terms with himself and the duality of nature..

dunno.. have to go back and reread!

I've read the entire trilogy!! But I read it like 5 years ago, so I really can't remember much. They were really addcitive, but I don't think I totally liked them, they were abit too... raw. But it's amazing how he could create a whole world, and so many characters and everything... Although I may not like the books, he's got amazing talent!! :eek: