Culture Fans? (Iain M Banks)

Never got round to reading my new Hobb after exams - Use of Weapons was a real chore to get through. The spelt-out chapters were often rather good, but the numbered chapters really put me off; I must have picked it up about thirteen times...

However, having finally finished it last night (nearly three months later! The last book that took me that long to read was Erikson's Gardens of the Moon on my first go through!), I don't think I've been giving it it's due. If I'd have realised earlier the way he'd set it out (numbered chapters descending, spelt-out chapters ascending) then I might have read it with a different view.

Ah well, it's done now. I might re-read it in the distant future, but for now it's my least favourite Banks book and one that I'll remember for a long time as horribly disjointed.

I see what your saying, though there is a lot to like about it. Then again, I had the luck of someone explaining to me what I was in for!

Now I think about it, could that be what divides opinion on this work? Were all those who favour this novel, lent a copy by a friend who told them 'This is great, but...'?

I can't help thinking Banks should have at least put some paragraph at the start, explaining how things will flow. It could easily have been done in character, as occurs exactly in Inversions.

A heavy handed measure, perhaps, but it would have saved a lot of readers a lot of struggle!

(Just noticed One of the little adverts at the top of this thread page is for 'Culture Jobs'. Looks like Diziet Sma is keeping herself busy, anyway...)

I agfree with you there J-WO, I actually loved the book but it did take me a while to get the hang of the structure.

Really we should know better; Banks is always having fun with that kind of thing and trying to push the boundaries - just look at Feersum Endjinn.

Were all those who favour this novel, lent a copy by a friend who told them 'This is great, but...'?

Well, before I read it all I heard was 'This is great', no 'but...', and I avoided spoilers. I loved it from the start, though on occasions I had to read back and forth to make sure I followed it right. I have to say this is one of my favourite Banks.

Lenny, I think this book demands a lot of concentration. Next time read it in 3 days see what you think. Three months on and off you can kill off the best book!

(Just noticed One of the little adverts at the top of this thread page is for 'Culture Jobs'. Looks like Diziet Sma is keeping herself busy, anyway...)

Oh, that's very tempting! :D

Hmmm. I think they are recruiting for SC before they send in the Contact unit. Obviously they think it is time to interfere.