1.04: Avatar

padders

System Lord of ASciFi.com
======================================
THIS IS A SPECIFIC EPISODE DISCUSSION:

Use this thread for:

1. Posting reviews/comments about the episode.
2. Posting images/pictures/multimedia related to the episode.
3. Talking about how the episode fits in with the series as a whole, character involvement in the episode etc...

Please feel welcome to post as much info about the episode as you can, links to reviews at other websites, etc.

======================================

EXTENDED SYNOPSIS:
Taken from http://earthfinalconflict.com/episodes/ep104.html

James Pike (Richard McMillan) was one of the most notorious inmates of his maximum security prison -- a lawyer turned serial killer. In the dead of night, he completed a strange mural on his cell wall, painted with his own blood. The next day the guard found him dead, but as the prison physician, Dr. Kaplan (Hrant Alianak), began an autopsy, Pike awakened and escaped.
William Boone (Kevin Kilner) and Capt. Lili Marquette (Lisa Howard) were summoned to the prison following Pike's breakout. In Pike's cell, they found the whole wall filled with unknown rune-like characters and bestial images. Central among them were strange Siamese twins -- one all eye, one all mouth. And at the bottom of the wall was a huge faceless sleeping giant.

Puzzled by why he had been relegated to such "mundane" police work, Boone soon discovered that Da'an might have been the killer's intended target, since James Pike was a CVI experiment gone terribly wrong. Da'an explained that the Taelons wanted to try to rehabilitate the most pathological of criminals to test the power of their CVIs, and that Pike had been implanted two years prior to his escape, programmed with a motivational imperative to love humankind.

Somehow, Pike had used his CVI to enter the private world of the Taelons, to understand their language, to break their secret codes and use the knowledge they kept hidden from Earth. The drawings in his cell were a retelling of an ancient Taelon myth, a story of evil and revenge that Pike felt he must enact. As he prepared to fulfill his destiny, Pike started a new trail of death in his first motel refuge, forcing one biker to stab another to death, and decorating their bodies with more of the strange Taelon hieroglyphs. Boone spoke to Dr. Belman (Majel Barrett Roddenberry) about the workings of Pike's CVI and got some distressing news: Pike's implant was burning out and she couldn't be sure that all the CVIs weren't programmed with a "doomsday date", causing them to self-destruct and kill their recipients.

When Boone and Pike faced off at a satellite transmission station, Boone's skrill was rendered useless. Pike attacked Boone but did not kill him. Instead, he teased him with a strange message from the Taelon myth.
Next, Pike sent a hologram transmission to taunt Boone, which Lili traced to his lair. She found Dr. Belman bound and gagged, her head shaven, with more of the strange Taelon drawings on her head. Boone went to Belman's lab, where he found a badly-wounded Agent Sandoval (Von Flores) whose skrill has been stolen by Pike.

Boone then followed Da'an to his appearance at an ecumenical conference, where Pike attempted to vaporize the Taelon with his stolen skrill. But Boone had engineered it so that Pike attacked a hologram, rather that Da'an himself. By that time, Pike deduced that Boone had also broken through his CVI. As he lay dying, he told Boone that the Taelons' world was inside the minds they gave their Implants, and urged him to look deep inside himself for the truth about why the Companions are on Earth.

This ep. gave an interesting look at Taelon Ethics. Behavior Modification is AKO. letting them Rot in prison is immoral.

My favorites scene in this ep was when Da'an went into the prison. The inmates inside there really acted like they never saw a Taelon before.

Then their was that Taelon Myth. leni told it beatifuly. I ain't quite sure how that turned out plot wise.

ZachWZ

This was one of my favorite episodes from the first season. It left you wondering about that Taelon myth and just what Boone's role would be.

One of my favorite scenes was when Pike lay dying and trying to challenge Boone to look inside himself.

Just saw this episode again. STill one of my favorites.

One of my favorite scenes was when Pike was dying and telling Boone to reach inside himself and that "the Sleeper will come".
Then at the end Boone is staring at that drawing PIke did and he looks at that image that Da'an wouldn't tell him what it was and says "the sleeper will come". Makes you wonder if Boone isn't suppose to be the sleeper.