Doesn't anybody like Piers Anthony???

I like him. I've read several of his Xanth novels, but not in a long time. Maybe I need to start up again.

Thanks for reminding me of him!

I like him. I've read several of his Xanth novels, but not in a long time. Maybe I need to start up again.

Thanks for reminding me of him!

His books are entertaining

He also did the novelization for the the original Total Recall film. It was a pretty good read. (y)

I've read the first few Xanth novels, but lost interest. I've also read Bio of a Space Tyrant series, the first five anyhow. I didn't realise that he'd written a sixth one much later. Again, I just lost interest in his writing, but I remember enjoying them at the time.

A Spell for Chameleon was one of the first fantasy books that I ever read. I loved his Apprentice Adept series too but I have not read anything by him in years. Xanth ran on for so long that I lost interest and over the years I just thought his books were for younger readers. Is that wrong?

I've not read much of his Xanth series. I'm familiar with Omnivore Orn and Ox plus Chthon and Phthon; but I've always considered Macroscope to be the one I loved the most. If you've not read it you should give it a try.

http://www.hipiers.com/
http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html

Someone also answers his emails and I had an interesting conversation back in 2013 when I published my book through Xlibris; because he seems to have a large page on writer resources he tries to keep up with and he seems to be a champion of the self publisher.

I quite liked his Tarot Trilogy (although it has been many years since I read them so may be looking through the rose-coloured specs of nostalgia)

I've read the first few Xanth novels, but lost interest. I've also read Bio of a Space Tyrant series, the first five anyhow. I didn't realise that he'd written a sixth one much later. Again, I just lost interest in his writing, but I remember enjoying them at the time.

Bio of a Space Tyrant would have made a great tv series.(y)

Im rather surprised that there has nave been any kind of film or tv adaptation of his works. :unsure:

Last edited:
I too enjoyed Xanth and the Split Infinity series - but read them quite a while ago and truth be told while I wouldn't object to reading the SI series again the Xanth I feel less love for

I never made it very far in Xanth, because I was allergic to puns back then. I might like them better now.

The Apprentice Adept series and the Incarnations of Immortality series are some of my favorite books -- I've read all of them a dozen times, at least. They're light, but full of good characterization and interwoven plot, and great fun. Incarnations is also very thought-provoking.

I didn't like the Mode series as much, and never read all of them -- only the first couple.

The Geodyssey series is masterful and completely different from all of his other stuff -- and from most everyone else's, as well.

I never made it very far in Xanth, because I was allergic to puns back then. I might like them better now.

The Apprentice Adept series and the Incarnations of Immortality series are some of my favorite books -- I've read all of them a dozen times, at least. They're light, but full of good characterization and interwoven plot, and great fun. Incarnations is also very thought-provoking.

I didn't like the Mode series as much, and never read all of them -- only the first couple.

The Geodyssey series is masterful and completely different from all of his other stuff -- and from most everyone else's, as well.

He's a great writer , one the best in the business.:)

Loved the Xanth books when I was 12-13. I'm certain their appeal would not hold up today.

Loved the Xanth books when I was 12-13. I'm certain their appeal would not hold up today.

I never realized that bad puns could be so versatile in terms of world building. :D But puns aside , this is a terrific fantasy series which still holds up pretty well. :cool:(y)

His novel Ghost was an excellent science fiction novel .

The trouble is that he's so inconsistent. Some of his stuff is brilliant, and some is so dire, you want to bleach your eyeballs - and you never know which you're going to get.

The trouble is that he's so inconsistent. Some of his stuff is brilliant, and some is so dire, you want to bleach your eyeballs - and you never know which you're going to get.
Well, you can read reviews and get opinion here, I guess. Split Infinity and microscope are pretty good, later Xanth stuff not so much.

Like @TomMazanec I enjoyed Macroscope
One thing that stops me even picking a book up is "clever" unpronounceable names like Xanth, Chthon, Phthor. Same with Lovecraft's Cthulhu stuff.
Personally I just hate that, it is a mega irritant.

I know Astro Pen.
Steve Jackson Games once made a Lovecraft parody for their Toons game called "Crawl of Catchooloo" where one of the entities was called Qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm "The Being Whose Name Cannot be Pronounced". No one knows what it is like because no one can call its name to summon it.

Back