See what one of the writers has to say!

stripe

Sovs Favorite Moderator
Please enjoy the recent interview with one of the writers of the hit show Andromeda Ethlie Ann Vare...:)

TTN: While we're still in the middle of the first season of 'Andromeda', could you give us a little preview of what's coming in the next season?

EAV: We started writing for next season a couple of weeks ago. One thing I think everyone will notice first off is better production values - we've learned a lot about costuming and prosthetics, opticals and effects, and with the break between seasons we can finally implement a lot of the changes we've been wanting to make. I think next season the stories will build on the best of last season and utilize the developing relationships between the characters, who have now had a chance to work and grow together. Overall, the stakes will be higher. I don't want to give away any secrets, but at the end of the year some pretty intense stuff happens, so we start next season right off with the pressure ratcheted up a notch.

TTN: In the first episode of the year 2001, 'All Great Neptune's Ocean' we saw Tyr and then later on in the episode Rommie both accused for an assassination they didn't commit. Also, in this episode, although not really very important, we see Dylan Hunt sitting in the navigation area of the Andromeda. Are there any other chairs on the Andromeda Ascendant?

EAV: There are no chairs in Command, because that's just not a place you're supposed to sit down and take a break. But there are chairs in lots of other places on Andromeda: Dylan's quarters, the Officer's Lounge... there's a nice bench in Obs :)

TTN: After writing the episode, 'The Pearls That Were His Eyes' which recently aired on television, featuring John deLancie very prominently as 'Uncle Sid', are the writing staff planning on anymore 'Star Trek' veterans to show up in upcoming episodes of Andromeda?

EAV: We love the idea of casting actors from the Trek universe, and hope to feature many in the coming years. It's like "old home week" for many of our viewers.

TTN: In a previous interview, it was revealed that 'Andromeda,' in the upcoming episode entitled, 'Star-Crossed' would be having a relationship with another ship, 'Gabriel.' Is this possible? Could you tell us a bit more about this upcoming episode?

EAV: I know that Lexa Doig has revealed some spoilers about "Star-Crossed," but I would hate to ruin anyone's fun. Let's just say that AI's are sentient beings, and sentient beings seek connection and intimacy with their own. But of course, since this is Andromeda, even in a love story Bad Things Happen.

TTN: Michael Shanks, who will be guest starring on the episode, 'Star-Crossed' will be playing 'Gabriel', the above mentioned love interest for Andromeda. Along with playing 'Gabriel', he played 'Dr. Daniel Jackson' on the series 'Stargate SG-1'. What is it like to see an actor who has played in other Sci-Fi based shows? Do they usually know how things are done a bit better than the everyday average actor, since they've experienced what it's like to be on a Sci-Fi series before?

EAV: The most interesting thing about casting Michael Shanks as a romantic interest for Lexa Doig is that they are now an offscreen couple, as well. I can only think my words of love were so persuasive that she couldn't help but fall for him

I do think that an actor who has experience in the science fiction genre is more adept at the quirky things we have to do to create our reality: green screen, prosthetics, wire work... there are specific techniques used on the set of our show that few others share. 'Stargate' would be one of the few, so Michael was able to hit the ground running.

TTN: In a previous interview with The Trekker Newsletter, you mentioned that in the episode 'It Makes A Lovely Light' was a story that would heavily feature Beka Valentine's character. Since there are not too many details about this episode on the internet right now, could you give us an in-depth view of what this upcoming new episode is about?

EAV: My fifth and last episode of Season One is called "It Makes A Lovely Light," which will air very near the end of the year - during May "sweeps," probably. Yes, it explores Beka Valentine's character once again... and again, I don't want to give away too much and spoil it. But let's just say that it takes her to a very dark place, that it was a risky episode for the actress and for the show, and that we're very happy with the way it turned out. Lisa Ryder gives an amazing performance.

To hint at the story: As a birthday gift, Beka vows to take Dylan home to Tarn-Vedra. And, since this is Andromeda, Bad Things Happen.

TTN: In the filming of episodes of 'Andromeda', there's bound to be mess-ups in acting by the actors on-stage. Any really funny outtakes that come to mind?

EAV: Season One will probably be best remembered for The Rommie Dance (Lexa cutting up between takes) and Have You Seen My Force Lance?, which was Kevin's question to every female guest star before every take. He would, of course, hold up his force lance while saying that and... well, you know what a force lance looks like.

BTW, for Christmas presents, Kevin gave everyone a pair of Andromeda boxer shorts with the phrase "Have you seen my force lance?" printed across the butt. I wear mine proudly....

TTN: Thanks for doing yet another interview with The Trekker Newsletter, we certainly enjoy interviewing you, and hopefully we can do this again sometime in the near future!

EAV: My pleasure. Thanks for asking!

Let me just say..

Originally posted by stripe
Please enjoy the recent interview with one of the writers of the hit show Andromeda Ethlie Ann Vare...:)

EAV: The most interesting thing about casting Michael Shanks as a romantic interest for Lexa Doig is that they are now an offscreen couple, as well. I can only think my words of love were so persuasive that she couldn't help but fall for him

What!!!!!!! The dirty knave! You Sir are fondling the woman I Love! Damn, now i have to save up to a trip to America, but in 10 years I'll spank your butt, Mr Shanks!

Hmm..oh well, I always wanted to be a teenager again I suppose ;-)

EAV: Season One will probably be best remembered for The Rommie Dance (Lexa cutting up between takes) and Have You Seen My Force Lance?, which was Kevin's question to every female guest star before every take. He would, of course, hold up his force lance while saying that and... well, you know what a force lance looks like.

Although I'm not sure I'd want to see Kevin Sorbos force lance, I'd like to have a gander at those outtakes - lets hope someone leaks them to the net :)

[Edited by snaller on 02-12-2001 at 05:22 AM]

Aww

Poor Snaller ....

Id give anything to see Kevins forcelance up close its a remarkable piece of equipment so Im told <BG>