4.20: Entity

My son, Asgard, watches with me! But the brothers.... well when one is on the computer the other is watching TV (in law) or Reading/writing (twin).

Asgard was brought up on TNG and DS9 (Star Trek) but he doesn't like the original or Voyager as well as the other two and he perfers Stargate!

Just steering back on topic slightly - is it just me who didn't like this episode very much ?

Compared to the rest of Season 4, which has been really good, Entity left me feeling disappointed.

I didn't really feel the storyline was that clear, jumping from one idea to another and the Computer Virus / Alien Entity wasn't that well executed in my opinion - it's been done better before. The Voice synthesis thing with Sam didn't really give AT a chance to demonstrate her acting ability to the full and Teal'c just seemed to be kinda lost.

The Sam/Jack Love-Interest thing was re-introduced but i thought it was far better implimented in "Divide and Conquer" and "Window of Opportunity". I ask myself if Jack have been so quick to Zat Sam twice (hence killing her) even though he knew the possible consequences of infection to other computer systems.

I suppose the only plus point for the Episode was that Teryl got to show off some of her acting abilities (e.g informing Jack of the closure of the life support machine)and showed herself to be a valuable team and regular cast member.

I don't think I'll be rushing to watch this one again although judging from most of the comments posted here, I'm in the minority on this one.

Am I the only one who talks/yells at the TV. I seemed to do it alot for this epi. Things like
'Oh look scutters!'
'Five alive, five alive'
'No don't go in there!
'Oh look isn't that the borg in the cargo bay scene'
'Blow me he's shot her!'
An alright epi made me smile.

Originally posted by Sphinx
Just steering back on topic slightly - is it just me who didn't like this episode very much ?

Compared to the rest of Season 4, which has been really good, Entity left me feeling disappointed.

I quite liked this ep.... interesting to have Jack in the right for once, shouldn't have bothered trying to make contact with it, just terminate it!

On the other hand, they can't make that assumption so the way they went about it was fairly standard...although I agree that Jack zatting Sam twice was rather odd, esp as the entity was leaving her...there had to be a get-out clause...and up she popped in the computer..one magic lead later shes reintegrated...this was the weakest part

Yes, the Sam and Entity part was left alone. (Jolinar did more with Sam and they showed more angst than here... I think it was too quick also!) Teal'c who? (He just seemed to stand around... or am I too much of a Teal'c person!

Maybe Teal'c's just not a talk-to-people-who-have-been-taken-hostage-by-a-virus person, and wasn't sure what to say? ;)

maybe t-man has a soft spot for sam and was all vehklept at the thought that one of his friends killed another one....

Maybe the writers have trouble with T-Man....oops.. man rant is back!

Originally posted by skydiver
maybe t-man has a soft spot for sam and was all vehklept at the thought that one of his friends killed another one....

VEHKLEPT.... what a fine word. Never heard that one before. Kinda has a ring of "cruvus" about it, don't ya think? Have you been downloading alien langauges into yer brain again Sky? It'll stunt ya growth you know :)

Watched this epi again last week. Definitley something "off" about it. Kinda get the feeling they lost interest in the plot while writing it. Still, worth watching for Jackisms and the extra air time the under-used characters (Frasier and Siler) managed to get. Also thought Sams PJ's were cool. D'ya think I can get me a pair of those? (Can mine have little teddy bears on them, huh? please, can they, can they?)

cheers
Mishkaz

Well, i just watched the ep. last night, after reading through all the spoilers.. (thankfully i like spoilers)..
I kinda liked it, but i have to admit, it wasnt my favorite. (whereas, the ep. that showtime played after, "upgrades" is one of my fav's)

I love jackisms, but in this ep. i think he went overboard.. they were fine in the beginning - the memo stuff (memos were mentioned in Prodigy too - the general ryan scene))... but once the situation got serious, he still kept cracking jokes... i mean, if you were in a base that was quarantined and "the fate of the world" rested on your shoulders, would you be admiring youself in a pic?.. i got a little irritated there.. (in a less serious scene, i woulda loved it.i know, its the way he handles things, but sometimes...grrr..

i thought the jack/sam scenes were well played out.. you could see there was something more, but never did it go overboard, and in some ways was just like a leader really caring for one of his team.. like how he was with Daniel in "the light"... though i'm sure that little remark by Hammond was meant to be more than sam just being a valued member of the team..

The other thing that got me was what i though of as the stilted acting by MS and CJ as far as their concern for Sam while she was comatose/dying... i guess i expected more from their characters that a brief sentence saying that they were gonna destroy the machine in the MALP room.. daniel especially didnt have a very distraught look on his face, while Jack looked like he was ready to burst at any time... (and generally i find MS the far better actor, so i found this surprising...)

Well, that's my 2 cents on the ep.. (ok.. maybe a bit more than 2 cents, huh!?!)

Entity

Ponyperson, I agree with you completely. Teal'c and Daniel did not seem to care very much or show much concern, if at all, for Sam. All the emoting was done by Jack. Now Daniel wasn't like that before, he showed he cared about Sam in previous episodes. Is this MS and CJ's acting? Or it is due to what they are given, scriptwise, and how the director tells them to "emote"?

I just think the script wasn't very good, it was just a replay of the Jolinar episode. And Jack's jokes though funny, seem totally inapropriate to the situation. He's wandering if he is looking fat and the complex is being taken over by an unknown entity?

i don't know if i picked up as much on the danny lack of emoting but i sure did on teal'c...it was almost as if as far as he was concerned sam was already dead and he didn't care...maybe that's what he knew he needed to do, to be the unemotional one among them.
to me janet did a perfect job of being near tears and yet still incontrol. as did jack. he was concerned and all torn up but still didn't turn into a slobbering mess.
and hammond knows...that seemed to be the one really big plot point. ole george knows there's something between the two of them but i'm guessing knows it also hasn't gone anywhere...
i gotta wonder just how much sam remembers? if she was in the malp the whole time, she doesn't know they were going to pull the plug or how they treated her...
and, hope to the shippers, anyone catch jack's little hand movement at the end(if someone's already mentioned this, i apologize)
right at the end he raised his hand like he wanted to touch her but stopped, i'm guessing cause he knew he couldn't...awwwww

Hey, JSC, I agree, they (the writers) have slipt back into some bad habits regarding the T-man. After a number of years with the team he should be less of an outsider,so to speak.

I thought that Rothery's acting was very good in this ep. Especially with the little catch in her voice when she told Jack that they should disconnect Sam since there was *catch* no brain activity.

RDA was good also, you could feel the care he had for Sam and the difficult decisions he had to make regarding her.

I agree that Daniel did seem to not be as concerned for the state Sam was in but more concerned about contacting the virus.

it just hit me, this eps set a precedent...two zat blasts aren't necessarily fatal...wonder if zatarc programming could serve the same purpose as aliens having control of your body...it could give them an out to bring marty back....just an idea

Are the writers playing with us again?
1. They keep the T-Man stoic (unemotional about Sam). Was this to help Jack and Danny hold on? or himself? Janet and Jack were great in the teary scenes. Danny and Teal'c just looked sad at the unhook the life support sceen.. But the writers have been doing the Perfect Black Servant Thingie again for T-man...in this one.... sort of like the first season. Need a writer with the perspective for T-Man... I think they should get Denise.... How bout it skydiver! Guess they want the T-man and Danny to react in fan fic... this was a shipper episode... Kind think that Hammond knows about the ust between Jack and Sam...Sam is his good friend's daughter and Jack has become a good friend (Chain Reaction and his granddaughter's reactons to Jack!)

2. The two zats your dead.... Ayeah, skydiver I agree with you! I kind of felt set up in that sceen... to say the least!

3. How quickly they resolved the tension of we've lost Sam... and found her in the computer... got her back in her body...Boy! If I were Hammond, I'd do some checking! To say nothing of what Janet will probably want to check out! No I do not read the Sam/Janet stuff!

hey anyone from the show wants to give me a job...it's gotta to be more than i'm making now.

and i definitely think george knows something is going on, he just doesn't KNOW something is going on. jack & sam haven't crossed the line and forced his hand.
persoally i agree with a lot of the fic writers, george would be incredibly happy for them, just not about the paperwork it would cause.
those of you that have seen double jeopardy know this but...and please don't tell me until next friday i'm trying to remain spoiler free here...wanna bet sam's all fine and happy for double jeop & exodus?

wonder how much if anything she remembers? if she was in the malp memory the whole time then was she aware of anything that happened between her and the rest during the interim?
lends new meaning to her having a way with computers huh?

What ever happened between entity and double jeopardy... welll on the fic writers know for sure... It isn't mentioned. Don't worry, skydiver. I don't think anything happens either! Ust and all but nothing happens... maybe in Season5.

Back