4.19: Prodigy

Ok.. i just watched this ep. last night...
NO DANNY!.. arrggh.. i knew this from reading the spoilers, but...WWAAHH...
ok.. i'm better now..
that scene where teal'c shoots jack was great... he can say so much by saying so little..

i liked the new cadet.. she was a bit annoying, but her expression when she realized just how much was out there was great... (i wish i could be her...)
she certainly did have a chip on her shoulder, and i wonder if learning what is out there possiby waiting for her will help her tow the line, or giv her even more of a superiority complex because now she really does know more than her professors..

what really disapointed me was that the scientist who was bugging jack reminded me a lot of daniel, esp. the way he tried to jump into things, and yet there were no daniel jokes.. ithought there were some scenes that were just prime for it... and you would think jack might mention it just caused he missed daniel.. i'm definately a bit disappointed with some of the writing of ths ep...

i definately liked the little energy aliens... i hope at some point they revisit that world.. though i know they most likely wont..

yeah that scientist did always want to jump into things like daniel but he was also extremely rude and annoying which is not at all like daniel. i think that's why he wouldn't have reminded jack of daniel.

Any X-Files fans here? If so, did you see a tad of a similarity between Prodigy and an X-Files episode? I can't remember which season it was or the title.

The premise:

A bunch of loggers disappear and when Scully and Mulder go to investigate, they find that there are these little goldish/green glowing dots (which are a bug of sorts) that bundle people up in cocoons to consume them. These things only attack in the dark so in order to survive the night, the heroes have to make sure the generator keeps running to light the cabin they've holed up in.

I didn't think similarities until everyone started wondering how much gas was in the generator that was electrifying the walls.

Cheers,

pretyy good eps.
for those of you interested, the exteriors had to have been shot on the real air force academy, i recognize the chapel in the back ground.
and there was a little joke 'wormhole and hyperspace may seem like science fiction but trust me, the future is closer than you think'
yeah, like right across town. the air force academy is on the north part of colorado springs, cheyenne mountain on the south part. the 'future' was a 20 minute trip down interstate 25 away.
it was nice to see capt griff again, and we learned that sam DID go to the academy and if she ever gets tired of jumping through the gate i think it's a pretty good assumption she could get a job teaching or in the astrophysics field relatively easily.

though she has to have a new appriciation for danny, she too knows some theories are right, like wormholes only going one way but she can't prove it cause it's classified...talk about frustrating

now danny was off with sg-11...haven't they learned. let's see, sg-11 bought it on 888 with the unas, were wiped out in season 3 and i thought they all died at least once before. i was sorta waiting for a joke about danny & the seeminly cursed sg-11...

then at the very end...they get the gate open and the little tinkerbell aliens want to kill them...and there's time for a nice apology at the gate by the doctor and a little 'moment' between sam & jennifer...hey if it was me i'd have booged my way through the gate

when they turned on the electrical field, anyone get the image of a giant bug zapper?

then again, anyone have flashbacks to the x-files eps darkness falls...gee wasn't it the one about tiny glow in the dark bugs and a generator that might fail...

and did anyone get the 'thank you rocko' line...i don't

"Rocco's Modern Life" Perhaps? I wondered about that,also. Haven't seen many movies lately and it ain't a Will Smith or Martin Lawrence, Laurence Fishburn or Morgan Freeman line... Is it Anthony Hopkins?

I remember that Xfiles episode... there were a few similarities i guess..
i used to retell that x files episode to my campers when we would go overnite camping in a park for enough from anywhere to be a bit scary... *grin*.. they'd walk around all night with flashlights over their heads!...
(do you remember the ep of the half fluke fish half man thing?.. i'd tell that one too.. then they wouldnt use the port a potties either!!!..)

yes, danny certainly isnt as obnoxious as that scientist was, but when he jumped into the glowing lights before they turned nasty, couldnt you just see daniel doing that?.. a very daniel like action!...

(btw.. i wonder what would have happend if daniel had been in the show. i bet the ending would have been a lot different.. he'd have tried to find a way to communicate for sure!!)..

I agree with you Skydiver about the lollygagging at the end there - Jack took *forever* to dial the DHD and then the long apologies with those nasty little mutant fireflies out there, ready to attack again maybe. Get moving folks!

And I remember that X-files eppy, yes, very similar.

But I liked the fireflies, they were lovely...

What wasn't so pretty was no Daniel. You know, I actually paid attention to this episode. Not one distraction. Oh well...

- Orange

ooh i dunno. he would have been in favor of communicating, right until that guy got dead. then he would have been in favor of beating a path to the gate.
or, chances are he'd have been on the planet in the first place and there would have been some nice pots and pans in the caves. maybe he would have been on jack's side for once. he's got the experience to know that not all aliens are nice ones.

Yes. And I am fglad they let Daniel grow. He I think would have been a lot more careful and if he had been on this episode might have told the scientists... LISTEN TO JACK!

Oh about the titleof that x files ep. - Darkness Falls.

Well, if daniel had been there i think that whole ep. would have been played out differently..
but he wasn't...*sob*..
(which i guess could have been the whole point?..)hmm..

There's been a lot of comments made on the lists about Jack dialing so slowly. As my mother would have said, "It's in the script." :D

However ... here's my take on it.

Jack was shot with the zat. It has to disrupt the electrical signals jumping around in the brain a bit. Running from one place to another might not be that difficult, but remembering symbols to use and then finding them on the DHD might have been a tad difficult under the circumstances.

One other thing, we never really see Jack dialing the DHD. It's always someone else. Maybe he isn't as familiar with the placement of the symbols as the others are and had to look for them. If that's the case, he seriously needs to practice. ;)

Cheers,

well put M.L i agree totally, it's usually sam or daniel that does the dialing all the time, poor jack...peachy

well if jack wanted practice all he'd have to do is tell danny & sam to step aside and do it. then again jack could gather soil samples if he wanted to...i think dialing is something he certainly knows how to do...it's just easier to tell carter & danny to do it so he can watch their backs which is somethign he's undoubtedly more at home doing

I thought he was trying to do it slowly and casually so as not to alarm or agit8 the ... light bugs.

I think he was doing it slowly to agitate us... actually dramatic pauses to build tension!

Originally posted by jsc
I think he was doing it slowly to agitate us... actually dramatic pauses to build tension!

He had to do it slowly in order to give Teal'c time to catch up so he could save him from the bugs. ;)

Cheers,

LOLLOL!!!!! That surely is better than thinking of the T-Man's rescue as a dramatic pause!