Fave Quotes (Terry Pratchett)

OMG 10 pages! someone proberly already mentioned this one but im too lazy to go check XD

"Vini, Vidi, Vetenari."

Coz he is badass you know :)

From 'Turntables of the Night'. Death discusses rock'n'roll:

OH, I'VE GOT THEM ALL, he said, turning back to Wayne, ELVIS PRESLEY, BUDDY HOLLY, JIM MORRISON, JIMI HENDRIX, JOHN LENNON ...
'Fairly wide spread, musically,' said Wayne. 'Have you got the complete Beatles?'
NOT YET.

Rincewind: Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, moriturus sum!

Pretty Butterfly: O excrement, I am about to die?
Interesting Times

- other Latatian sayings, such as Sodomy non Sapiens, and of course, Fabricati Diem Pvnc!

Granny didn't hold with looking at the future. But the future was now looking at her, and she did not like its expression.
Wyrd Sisters

Placenames in The Last Continent: Buggerup and Didjabringabeeralong (Priceless!)

"I'm a cat person, myself," she said, vaguely. A low-level voice said: "Yeah? Yeah? Wash in your own spit, do you?"
Moving Pictures, Ginger & Gaspode

"Woof, bloody woof!" - Gaspode

Oh, I could go on forever - the trouble with Pratchett is finding a sentence that is not quotable!

(One or two of the above may not be exact, I don't have the books with me.)

I read all the pages, just to check that someone had listed the "No, sir, she offered me a bun" scener from Wyrd Sisters. So thanks, Hoopyfrood for saving my typing finger!

What about:

"...and Bob's your uncle!"

Carrot: No, Bjorn Stronginthearm is my uncle."

And all the many people with eyes like Gimlet's - the dwarf who runs the delicatessen.

And "a suspicious sausage inna bun" as offered by CMOT Dibbler, passim.

In fact, why quote? Just post all the texts of all the books and THAT is my favourite TP quote.

Mary

Anyone who thinks I'm going to read through 10 pages is mad, but then again, i've noticed a few think about TPerry (I meanPTerry) readers...
So the point was that I might repeat someone.
I like most Death quotes, things like, there is no justice, just us, I bet you could murder a piece of cheese/I don't know about you, but I could murder a curry, and... wait for it... Squeak.
I can't remember many quotes, i have a bad enough memory as it is, so I suppose I shouldn't fill it with quotes.

Hang on.. I've just remembered one of my all time favs "is this a dagger I see before me?" "No my Lord, it is a hadkercheif."

Been reading Small Gods on the train the last few days (and I've been on many trains this past week!) and ended up looking like a lunatic, cackling away to myself.

Anyway, really liked this line:

It was almost impossible to know what he was thinking about and no one ever asked. The most obvious reason for this was that Vorbis was the head of the Quisitio, whose job it was to do all those things that needed to be done and which other people would rather not do.
You do not ask people like that what they are thinking about in case they turn around very slowly and say 'You'.

Hee :D

I'm not entirely willing to look through the entire thing to see if this has been done, but I think my favorite quote (more like passage), is from Hogfather.

"All right," said Susan, "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need ... fantasies to make life bearable."

NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers?"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH WITH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE WERE SOME SORT OF RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes. But people have got to believe that or what's the point — "

MY POINT EXACTLY.

The part in Night Watch where they start singing "How do they rise up" is a close second, though.

Been reading Small Gods on the train the last few days (and I've been on many trains this past week!) and ended up looking like a lunatic, cackling away to myself.

Oh, I do that all the time during class, and then the people surronding me in class mimic me. 'Sigh' Childish follies:( But I get used to it, and smile sweetly back at them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Maria8475 Charmed 4
Maria8475 Smallville 16
Maria8475 Charmed 90
Maria8475 Stargate - the movie 12
Maria8475 Andromeda 61