Death Glider Thing.

DCBastien

Sound and fury
I want one! Get me one for chrissie!
On a serious note, just how would they get it to work? No inertia? Something like ST's dampener?

Mechanics of the Death Glider

Hey, Skip. You got some good ideas there. Let's see if we can generate some ideas here.

I'm currently backing a combination of inertial thrust with a damping effect of some sort. Otherwise, in 'Deadman Switch' when Airs takes off with Teal'c, the rest of the team would have been blown across the countriside or well flattened since they were standing right next to the thing.

Any other more 'grounded' ideas out there?

well, in a season 4 eps, our heroes are close on the ground to a glider taking off and i don't remember seeing any signs of a forceful thrust, like a rocket would make, so the engine must be somthing like anit-gravity or hover in the atmosphere, or maybe if it's in close contact with the ground. now bear in mind i can barely wrap my mind around how my car engine works but...what if a glider uses a type of hover engine when they're in close proximity to the ground, sort of like a harrier engine but not as rough. then when they get higher they can engage a normal thrust type engine, like a rocket.
in the curse, serpents venom we see gliders taking off and there appears not to be any obvious signs of forceful stuff...i know that doesn't make sense but there was no sand flying when it took off in the curse so...it would have to be a hover type of engine...
unless of course i'm just rambling on and making no sense at all.

Sam actually said that it nullified inertia, but how would you do that? Do you stay in sync with everything? I would assume so as they could communicate. There was no reaction force, was there? Do they make dust/grass move when they take off?

to be honest i haven't paid that much attention. i seem to remember aris's ship kicking up a bit of dust.
unfortunately physics was not a class i ever took so i really have no idea how it'd work.

Either reverse-polarity or quantum bending (removing or cancleing one of the eleven dimensions like gravity).

1)the glider produces a neg magnetic field that holds it above the earth (like those prototypes I saw on some programme on TLC or Discovery Channel,I forget which.)

or

2) They have some super-technical way (Have Sam explain it :) ) way of removing gravity from around the ship. Gravity is just another dimension like time or height or width. I mean,look at this way, the speed of light is 386,000 mps or something like that but if you put a light in a box and close it the light is still going 386,000 mps even though the box is only a foot by foot area. The box doesnt slow light down but contains it. So basically they create a box (the ship) that doesn't include gravity so the box 'floats'. :)

or

3)I have some land in Florida I would like to sell you.

:) :) :)

may I have an aspirin please?

You people make me feel so blond

(apologies to the blondes, I'm sorry, it was a cheap shot))

Hmm, pass the asprin... tangent?
Ep that started this. But as I said, if out of sync, how communicate?