Guy Gavriel Kay

silvercloak

enemy of honesty
Anyone ever read him. Best Canadian Fanasy Author, though most of his books are kind of historical fiction with fantastical elements in it.

silvercloak said:
Anyone ever read him. Best Canadian Fanasy Author, though most of his books are kind of historical fiction with fantastical elements in it.
Can't say that I have, sorry. What are some book titles by him? Of his library, which piece of work would you suggest new readers to read first?

silvercloak said:
Welcome, silvercloak. I've heard of him, but I can't say I've ever read anything he wrote. Can you tell us more about him and his writing?

I've read one or two things by him and I'd say his writing is very lyrical. He takes our own historical times and gives them a couple twists and turns, throws in a bit of magic and, voila! A new story. From what I've read, his stories have a lot of ethical and legal 'questionings'. What I mean is that in a fantastical historical background, his characters must deal with weighty ethical and moral dilemmas. Of course, I've only read two I think and I can't remember the names either (I've got to get this head checked out, I think it's got a leak) but I do recall enjoying them.

That would be almost exactly how I would describe them. I would have to say the book Tigana is what I would start reading, even though it's not his first novel, though one of his best. For most of his books Guy researches a point in history for a couple years, then expands it into his own world and story. A great example of this is his Sarantine Mosiac duo of books. He took the world of Justinian of Byzantine and made a story of religious strife, political intrigue and magic. They are amazing. The first series he wrote as a response to the degradation of Fantasy. It is pure epic Fantasy. Also an amazing set of books. He also helped edit the Silmerarion (sorry, don't know how to spell it), with Christopher Tolkien.

The books that were inspired by Byzantium were Sailing to Sarantium, and the sequal Lord of Emporers.

Not really, and I'm sorry I haven't but I will try and search for him...thank you for the recomandation :)

His new book Last Sight of the Sun (I think, I just heard about it today) is inspired by the northern Vikings and Anglo-Saxons. I forgot to mention previously that the official website is called www.brightweavings.com.

That one sounds very interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it. Thanks for letting us know. I recalled (finally!) the book I had read, 'A Song For Arbonne'. I really enjoyed this especially for the young bardic character. I think I recall someone saying that this is one of a series called the 'Fionvar Tapestry'. I really like the use of tapestry because that is the way that the story unfolds - as I said very lyrical and smooth.

Edited to add:
I just checked out the link you posted and it is the 'Fionavar Tapestry', pardon my typo above. I also see that he wrote 'The Sarantine Mosaic' which I couldn't get through. Just more proof that just because an author is good doesn't mean you'll like everything they write. I like when authors diversify (use differing periods, worlds, characters) even though it means you may like some of their works and not like others. I think the only real problem with 'Mosaic' I had was that I couldn't figure out who the main characters were, and where the story was going. I also didn't have a connection with any of the characters that were introduced and felt that if one of them ended up being the main character that I just wouldn't care about the story, so I gave up after reading about a third of it.

You may have started reading the second book, Lord of Emporers. It was a duology. The first was "Sailing to Sarantium" and the second, as i have just stated was "Lord of Emporers". I identify with finding it hard to start reading his work. I didn't start actually enjoying his books until about two or three years after being introduced. Though after trying I read the Fionavar Tapestry and got hooked. With books written by him I find I can always reread them because you notice subtle intricities that you may have missed. It was almost the same for my older sister. She reads a lot, though doesn't find Fantasy too arresting. She read Fionavar Tapestry, liked it but was not ecstatic. She found it diverting enough to read his other books, and found the much more enjoyable, because the lack of certain Fantasy elements. She Especially like Lions of Al-Rassan. Which is about a female doctor caught up in the struggle of two warring nations of opposite religious and ideologys, while she is part of a cast off third religion. It is based on the fall of the Moorish empire in Spain when Christianity once again takes over. And obviously the third cast- off religion was Judaism.

I just got the book!! It's really good. I am also going to go the reading at a local bookstore!:D :D

I finished it a while ago. It was really good, not as great as some, but better than one or two others. I really regret missing him speak at my city. My sister didn't really want to go, and none of my friends are really interested in that sort of thing.

I read the Fionovar books, though it took my a few attempts to get past the first couple of pages (usually I find trips into parallel worlds uninteresting, so at first I didn't give it much fo a chance). But once I got into them they were great reads, with a few top class characters. One thing that did irritate though was the use of the sterotypical Incurably Evil Dark Lord, although Kay dealt with his baddy in a more interesting way than most I've read.

Honestly, best CANADIAN fantasy author? He's like the best author ever!!
I'm reading the fionavar tapestry for the second time right now and I love it, every single bit.
He's a lot like tolkien I have to confess, the big difference are just all the feelings inte G.G Kays triology.
Feelings I never felt when I read tolkiens books, and they never get boring (like lord of the rings may get sometimes)

I just love those books alot =)

I love Guy Gavriel Kay & my copy of the Fionavar Tapestry is so well read it is falling to pieces! I love the use of the Celtic elements of the Arthurian legend - it gives the stories a real sense of depth, as they're located in a different world, but there is that sense of a shared mythology - the very idea of the tapestry of worlds.
All my friends have been bullied into reading it & have loved it too.
Has anyone read his latest one? I saw it in the bookshop yesterday & wondered if it was any good...