Favorite Science Fiction/Fantasy TV Series(s)

Good going, Asp. We normally have to rely on Baylor to revive old threads so I'm sure, after all these years, he wouldn't mind you giving a hand.
Hmm, my favorite. Most of the ones mentioned would be on my list, and in my personal library, but I've always retained a soft spot for Star Trek TOS. I grew up with the show, after all. I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and not mention all the great SF I've seen over the years. Okay then. When are we going to get another show as brilliantly done as BSG? Waiting. Waiting.

B5 was my favourite, too. Farscape is a close second.

I was brought up on Space 1999 and have fond memories of the show. Same with the original series of Battlestar Galactica.

Rushing home from school to watch Monkey on a Friday is also a fond memory. I adored the Adventure Game.

I remember really enjoying The Invaders. I have fond memories of watching it with my dad during holidays.

Battlestar Galactica The New series
Farscape
Stargate SG1
StarGate Atlantis
The Wild Wild West
which , Is essentially a steam punk science fiction western .
The X Files
Hercules
Xena
The Outpost
is fun to watch
Buffy
Angel
The Avengers
The Outer Limits Both versions
Dr Who

My top favorites would be Farscape and Firefly. And, more recent, The Expanse, though not because of the stellar acting..
I remember in the old days enjoying Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, TOS, The Avengers, The Prisoner and Space 1999. Oh, and Blake's 7, of course.
Never really liked BSG, old or new. Boring, plus the Cyclons irritated me.
I watched Dr. Who intermittently.
Stargate SG1 had some decent episodes every now and then.

Twilight Zone (1959)
The Good Place
Firefly
Gotham
Star Trek TOS
The Umbrella Academy
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Sliders
Roswell
Over the Garden Wall

(All already mentioned except the asterisked ones, as far as I know.)

SF:
Farscape
Firefly
Person of Interest*
Space: Above and Beyond*
Star Trek: TOS/TNG/DS9
Stargate: Atlantis*
X-Files (early seasons)

F:
American Gothic*
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
iZombie* (early seasons)

Bonus:
On the one hand, practically all cartoons are essentially SF/F (and going by that, the old Warner Bros. cartoons are the best of all cartoons and near the top of all SF/F shows). On the other hand, I have a hard time thinking of cartoons as SF (even TV SF). Still, I'd echo the mentions of Futurama.

Oops. Buffy should have said "early seasons," too, but I tend to repress even the existence of season 6 (and 7) except for "Once More w/Feeling" and "Tabula Rasa."

I don't know why, but i read this thread as old SF TV.

Of the recent SF offerings, Killjoys and Dark Matter were pretty great and i'd love to see a reworking of Space: Above and Beyond.

My top favorites would be Farscape and Firefly. And, more recent, The Expanse, though not because of the stellar acting..
I remember in the old days enjoying Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, TOS, The Avengers, The Prisoner and Space 1999. Oh, and Blake's 7, of course.
Never really liked BSG, old or new. Boring, plus the Cyclons irritated me.
I watched Dr. Who intermittently.
Stargate SG1 had some decent episodes every now and then.

Stargate SGI gave us such great and unforgettable episodes as Wormhole Extreme .

I don't know why, but i read this thread as old SF TV.

Of the recent SF offerings, Killjoys and Dark Matter were pretty great and i'd love to see a reworking of Space: Above and Beyond.

Id love to see Space Above and Beyond rebooted.

Last edited:
Prisoner (1967), Sapphire and Steel, Doomwatch, Blake's 7, Mandalorian, Firefly, Quatermass Experiment, Star Trek (OS and TNG), Twilight Zone (original), Outer Limits (original), Doctor Who (first few seasons), Farscape, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Red Dwarf

Back