Favorite Science Fiction/Fantasy TV Series(s)

mac1

Science fiction fantasy
Sci-Fi/Fantasy Shows I Love :-

Star Trek (especially DS9)
V (Miniseries and Final Battle)
The X-Files
Lexx
Futurama
Quantum Leap
Red Dwarf
Buffy
Sliders

Used to always watch Treks in the hope of something happening. Most of the time was disappointed.

Next Generation had moments of glory. But the spin-offs fell further and further into soap-opera with space as romanticised token scenery Which missed the plot of having sci-fi.

More recent fantasy/sci-fis are just as bad with their hideous American forumulated set-up. The BBC makes everything luvvy-theatrical. Anyone see how bad they rendered Gaimans Neverwhere? Same sillyness as with the later Doctor Whos.

X-Files and Red Dwarf both suffered from being two series too long. As did Babylon 5.

Does anyone remember Robin of Sherwood?

Ahhh..."Robin of Sherwood"! The first series came out on DVD a while back, and I was really close to buying it [research - honest!].

But, alas, the funds ran dry and it's too late to tell Santa.

Was a free disc of the first episode of RoS on a DVD mag a while back. Watched it and although a bit dated it at least lacks the horrible forumlations of the recent US market.

You did not even spell my typo right. Still neither did I.

I never saw Robin Of Sherwood, was it any good?

I was looking at it on DVD in my local Video store and it looked pretty cheesy - which is not necessarily a bad thing. Lexx is pretty cheesy, but undeniably great, and thoroughly original.

I have just recently got Sky and I am loving some of the themed days some channels have. Today was A-Team day on UK Living 2, with about 6 or 7 back to back episodes. Hey Sukkas, I pity the fool. Next Sunday is New Adventures Of Superman day if anyones interested - I used to love that show.

I adore Robin of Sherwood....watched it when it was a series on Showtime years back.
My dauighter bought me a boxed set of the first two seasons, but it is unfortunately unplayable because it is in PAL format. But I love to look at the pretty pics of Robin and Heane on the box cover!

I love Farscape, and was devastated to find it being cancelled out from under me after I had just discovered it!

I love StarTrek TOS reruns and Enterprise.....I am an Archer afficianado!

I asked about "cracking" to the sales assistant before purchasing my own player. He suggested typing in the name and make number on a search engine, so I did so on Google and got two cracks: one to play VCDs, and the other to play all regions.

Apparently, it's just an issue of activating pre-installed software. Everything worked fine after I adding to codes.

However...my 1 year old daughter, Skye, absolutely loves the DVD player. You should see her giggle and dance when I switch it on! (we like watching film trailers together, along with Hannah, who's nearly 4). Trouble is, Skye now tries to turn the DVD player on herself whenever we're not looking. She's now somehow managed to disable half of the display! :-

SAVE FUTURAMA

They are cancelling Futurama.

Dont let this travesty occur.

Fight to save Futurama. Or Bite my shiny metal ass.

Put your name on this petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/futufu/petition.html

Go on, do it, or you will all burn for eternal damnation in robot hell!!

robothell.jpg

I ordered DS9 series one on DVD from Amazon.co.uk, it is due to arrive in the next 1-2 days. They are releasing all 7 series this year, between 25 of March, and 22 of December. At £62.49 a series thats almost £450 in just 9 months to get them all. I think its probably worth it though. Even if the first 3 series weren't as good as the later ones. It will make a nice collection.

DS9Cast.jpg

Also, is anyone else collecting the Red Dwarf series on DVD? I'm glad they released them in their original format, I didn't much care for the recently remastered versions of the early series. The low-budget look of the early episodes worked far better than the poorly done CGI effects in the remasters. If any of you don't know, they have currently released seasons one and two at about £15 each from amazon.co.uk. Well worth a purchase, unfortunately they suffer from the opposite problem to DS9. Whereas the DS9 series are to be released roughly every 5 weeks, far to frequently to fork out sixty quid, it seems that Red Dwarf fans will have to wait 13 weeks for a series costing only fifteen quid.

penguins_lovett.jpg

I'm still waiting for "Babylonn 5" series 3 to be released. The episode where the earth forces launched an attack on the station was one of the highlights of TV sci-fi, not just Babylon 5. Even my dad liked it, which is saying something. ;)

I could never really get into Babylon 5.
That was years ago however, I might be tempted to give it another chance, when I run out of stuff to watch, but that wont be for a while. I think the main problem I had with it was simply a case of never having seen enough episodes, and hence not relating enough with the characters. I think I have some vague memories of being quite put off by some awful looking CGI too, but I may be wrong. I am a little less harsh on TV shows today, so I might find I'd like it now, I mean I really enjoy Lexx now, and that looks appalling at times! ;D

Yes, that's the problem with long plot lines - you need to follw the characters to follow the story, and you need to follow the story to follow the character. It took me a few watches, but after then I managed to track down all but the first series on video that a friend had recorded.

I guess I'd always recommend starting from the beginning of season 2 and follow through. Season three I guess would have little meaning without the sense of building climax that is pushed into it from season 2.

But...at the end of the day, everyone has different tastes.

Decades ago it was always going to be Dr Who, Star Trek, Next Gen, Red Dwarf, Space 1999 and Blake 7 (for the giggles). I also enjoyed the BBC's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (both radio and TV versions); oh and Lexx, of course.

However, over the last couple of years I have rewatched nearly all of these and not many stand the test of time - they all had peeks and troughs, except Hitchhiker's, which only lasted one season I think.

But these days I am hugely attracted to Farscape, primarily because it's just so "far out" there, in every sense of the word; just as Lexx was way back in the 90s.

Am also trying (and not for the first time), to get into "DS9" and "Babylon 5" - but it's a big ask, and I rarely get past the first season for each.

"Babylon 5" - but it's a big ask, and I rarely get past the first season

Aw, but that's when it starts to get really good :)

For me, apart from Babylon 5, it's Farscape, Star Trek TOS, and Fringe. I can (and do) still quite happily watch all of those. Others I loved at the time but can't watch these days would be TNG, The X-Files, Buffy.

Babylon 5 is worth the effort, series 1 is a little weak compared to later ones. I enjoyed Fringe but I just can't bring myself to watch the last series.

Babylon 5 is my all time favorite science fiction series.

The Prisoner probably comes in at number 2.

I enjoyed the original Star Trek but didn't see it when it first aired.

I used to love Time Tunnel, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and Lost In Space when I was a kid but I have no desire to view any of them again.

Back