Uplift Trilogy (David Brin)

padders

System Lord of ASciFi.com
Probably my favourite series, coming just behind the Rama books by Arthur C Clarke and just in front on Ringworld oh and clsose to Foundation.

Anyway, which did you prefere. To me they were all great, just such a clever idea. Love Earth's position in the whole thing, the dolphins in the last book.

Arr.. such a great series. Starting to read the next 3 now.

Earths position is really different to most other books and shows. Even though we are well known we aren't powerful or important. In fact we are the opposite Earth is a poor world with many enemies but a few allies. And we are a semi-powerful just because humans uplifted Dolphins and chimps. I really like the dolphins personality. A poetic and dirty mind with them telling humans dirty limericks for thousands of years.

I don't suppose someone would like to list the titles and the order? Maybe a small review or something. I've never read them. Well to be perfectly honest I've never heard of them.

Cheers,

Hate to be the odd ball, but I didn't care for Brin's Uplift series. I suppose I should give reasons... I liked the first one (Startide), but the following two weren't that great. The second one (Uplift War) just didn't provide the epic nature that was established in Startide Rising. It's like he set us up for this huge big-picture type of storyline, then went to this macro view. Then, the last one was just to abstract.

However, I do like how Brin establishes characters. He really has a great way of character development. If Asimov only had this ability, then I would think Asimov the best of them all.