Order of Foundation Series? (Isaac Asimov)

because in this book appears the ideea of a galaxy populated only by humans...this is why in the foundation books you dont get any alien...i can't remember in which book of the foundation series is mentioned of the "eternals"...and their decision...but i know it's brief and an inexperienced reader could misse it

*pardon my spelling and also any mistakes in the terminology but i have read the books in my language: romanian:p

because in this book appears the ideea of a galaxy populated only by humans...this is why in the foundation books you dont get any alien...i can't remember in which book of the foundation series is mentioned of the "eternals"...and their decision...but i know it's brief and an inexperienced reader could misse it

*pardon my spelling and also any mistakes in the terminology but i have read the books in my language: romanian:p

No need for apologies, by any means. Yes, he did mention the Eternals in one of the later volumes -- I'm not absolutely certain about this, but I believe it was Prelude to Foundation or Forward the Foundation. (It's been some time since I last read the set, and unfortunately they're in storage halfway across the city, so I can't refer to them; but he also mentions in a preface how he's tying the earlier novel into his Robot/Empire/Foundation series.)

However, on the idea of a galaxy only populated by humans... this was something that entered Asimov's stories early on, for various reasons he discusses in The Early Asimov. Incidentally, there is a tale that belongs (more or less) to the Galactic Empire phase of the series that goes against that model: "Blind Alley", which is included in The Early Asimov, as well as a couple of other collections, iirc. It was, though, in The End of Eternity that he gave the rationale within the series for this being the case, if memory serves....

Having originally read the books (roughly) in order of when they were first published I've now started reading them again but this time I intend to read in Asimov's suggested order, i.e. in order of their internal chronology.

Just finished 'Rest of the Robots' and I'm now into 'Caves of Steel'...

Having originally read the books (roughly) in order of when they were first published I've now started reading them again but this time I intend to read in Asimov's suggested order, i.e. in order of their internal chronology.

Just finished 'Rest of the Robots' and I'm now into 'Caves of Steel'...
I'll be interested to hear how it reads going from Prelude and Forward, to "Foundation" itself. I've been mulling over a re-read of these too, as it must be, ooh a few years since I last re-read Foundation. I've not read them in internal chronology order, but have been considering it.

I really enjoyed my re-read of "Caves of Steel", enjoyed it just as much this time as I did the first. Now onto "The Naked Sun".

This forum thread is so short, though I imagine it will eventually explode if The Foundation Series somehow turns into a major TV Series. How that would actually work, I'm unsure. Anyways, I am reading it in the order of chronology. I'm on book six of the Foundation Series and will eventually revisit the other series over the next year. That said, I wish I would have been around at the time of these books' writings in order to get a feel for the series as each book was introduced.

This forum thread is so short, though I imagine it will eventually explode if The Foundation Series somehow turns into a major TV Series. How that would actually work, I'm unsure. Anyways, I am reading it in the order of chronology. I'm on book six of the Foundation Series and will eventually revisit the other series over the next year. That said, I wish I would have been around at the time of these books' writings in order to get a feel for the series as each book was introduced.

Here's hoping that tv series adaptation of Foundation is a success.:)

My re-read of Asimov is still going strong.

So far I've read the following (and in this order):

"Rest of the Robots"
"Caves of Steel"
"Naked Sun"
"Robots of Dawn"
"Robots and Empire"
"The Stars, Like Dust"
"Current of Space"
"Pebble in the Sky" (in progress)

You may note I skipped "I, Robot". I hadn't planned on doing a full scale re-read when I picked up "Rest of the Robots" (which I hadn't read before) and once I had finished it and decided to carry on through the rest of the books, I didn't fancy going back and reading it.

I also realised when reading "The Stars, Like Dust" that it wasn't actually a re-read; I had not read it before.

It is interesting reading in each of the Galactic Empire novels about the radioactivity of Earth, in the light of the events at the end of "Robots and Empire" that explain it in a different way, that is either not known or long forgotten in the Empire novels. We also see Earth's status decline in each subsequent Empire novel, the notion that it originated the human species seem more unbelievable to the residents of the galaxy.

Next up is "Prelude to the Foundation"...

My re-read of Asimov is still going strong.

So far I've read the following (and in this order):

"Rest of the Robots"
"Caves of Steel"
"Naked Sun"
"Robots of Dawn"
"Robots and Empire"
"The Stars, Like Dust"
"Current of Space"
"Pebble in the Sky" (in progress)

You may note I skipped "I, Robot". I hadn't planned on doing a full scale re-read when I picked up "Rest of the Robots" (which I hadn't read before) and once I had finished it and decided to carry on through the rest of the books, I didn't fancy going back and reading it.

I also realised when reading "The Stars, Like Dust" that it wasn't actually a re-read; I had not read it before.

It is interesting reading in each of the Galactic Empire novels about the radioactivity of Earth, in the light of the events at the end of "Robots and Empire" that explain it in a different way, that is either not known or long forgotten in the Empire novels. We also see Earth's status decline in each subsequent Empire novel, the notion that it originated the human species seem more unbelievable to the residents of the galaxy.

Next up is "Prelude to the Foundation"...

Nice order, and one I hadn't fully considered (I didn't include "Rest of...", "Stars Like Dust...", "Currents..." or "Pebble ..." in your particular order. Perhaps I might just try that on my next visit to Asimov's finest collection of books I have had the pleasure of reading.

Will also be interesting what order you place the subsequent Foundation and Empire books.

Will also be interesting what order you place the subsequent Foundation and Empire books.
I'm simply going to read them in order of their internal chronology. i.e.

"Prelude to the Foundation"
"Forward! The Foundation"
"Foundation"
"Foundation and Empire"
"Second Foundation"
"Foundation's Edge"
"Foundation and Earth"

Just finished re-reading "Prelude to the Foundation" and "Forward: The Foundation".

My first impressions were sustained. Although it is interesting reading them before the rest of the "Foundation" series this time around, I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it that way for a first time reader. It would just suck too many of the surprises out of the subsequent stories and they way it all develops.

Still, can't wait to re-read the original "Foundation" book next...