He's Back!!! (Terry Pratchett)

Cap'tCrash

Yes that marvel you either love or hate is back.Terry Pratchet is bring out his new discworld novel soon.Very near the top of my xmas wish list.

*just erotic.Nothing kinky.It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.

Cap'tCrash,

Please enlighten me about Terry Pratchet and discworld novels. I have never heard of them and am curious as to what Pratchet writes about them. Thanks.

Wow, never heard of terry pratchet.

It is fantasy stuff, he is prolific, probably over 75 books i think. I only got half way through the first one and i have to say it bored me but i here they get better. The discworld i think is a world on the back of a gian tourtoise or something bizarre like that but i can't remember. One day i will read them!

I'm with you padders. I couldn't really get into them either ... now Larry Niven's Ringworld, or the Thieve's World series I could read over again.

Cheers,

I guess the most modern thing I have read is Anne MacCaffrey and Marion Bradley and of course Octavia E. Butler. And of course our fan fic from SG-1 fans like Denise, MythingLink, Pho, OzKaren Yum@ and others too numerous to mention and several over at No More Blue Mondays!. (Of course Azimov, Le Guin, Zelaney, Niven, et cetera)
Haven't gotten into Discworld. Prefer Paleoworld and Gould, Tattersal, Leakey, Eldridge, Goodall, Horner, Bakker etc. OOPS.

I'm a big Prachett fan...have most of his books. Started reading his books with the one he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman, "Good Omens". Never was the Apocalypse so funny!

don't get me started on ringworld, i loved that book so so so so so much. The 3rd one is in my to read pile.

My top series have been:

-- Rama by Arthur C Clark and Gentry Lee (4) i still have dreams about their adventures (sad probably!)
-- The First uplift trilogy by David Brin. The next 3 are to read
-- The foundatin saga! by Isaac Asimo
-- Ringword Trilogy (not read last book yet).

We need http://www.talkscifibooks.com going!, one day..

I have read a lot of Pratchets books and loved most of them. How many books can he actually write anyway? He has I think four main sets of characters. There is Rincewind and his walking luggage, the city watch, group of witches and Death. His books are humourous with a lot of memorable quotes.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
"Of course, Ankh-Morpork's citizens had always claimed that the river water was incredibly pure. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys, they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed."

And I have read both uplift trilogies by David Brin, even if it took me ages.

keep on trying to start the 2nd uplift book but don't get past page 50 then i have to start again because it has been so long. I have been through this stage of about 4 months of not getting into a book and having about 5 i have tried, not helping. I am going to sit down and read it, it is by my bed now waiting to be read!

Foundation should be at the top of any reader's list. IMHO. ;) Along with his Robot series.

Katherine Kurtz = Camber series
Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner Harris = The Adept series
Raymond E. Feist = Riftwar Saga
Piers Anthony = Bio of a Space Tyrant and for fun his Apprentice/Adept series.
Fritz Leiber = Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

and people think I'm nuts

Stephen Donaldson's books to name a few.

Tokien's The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.

Cheers,

Shaun, Hi and welcome!

Thank you for the quotes from Pratchet's books. Makes me want to read them. The kidney one is great! All I can think of is the Mahatma's quote!

Those quotes just knocked me out!

The best way I can describe Mr P is true life through a very warped mirror. He takes every day situations and twists them till they scream, true he uses trolls ,witches, wizards but there is nothing fantsy about them.Some of his books are slow but for a good start off try The Reaper Man or Mort. He writes Death really well!

ML have you read any of David Eddings work? I loved the Thomas Covenant/Riftworld books and his work knocks the socks off them.There are only 3 books(so far)that I can clearly recall the very first time I opened them:
1.The Pawn of Prophecy
2.Reaper Man
3.My Family and other Animals.

JSC try Mr P, but DON'T do what I did and read it on a train/in a crowded area.People are VERY CONCERNED if you are reduced to a bubbling heap by laughing too much!

Cap'tCrash will definately heed your very good advice! My son gets me going like that! People have atendency to remove themselves from around one's area when that happens! He did that to me one day and a sweet ole granny ... sorta like me ... told him not to do that as us old folk had weak bladders!

Today, he did the comedy routine in the car as I was trying to park it and we were waiting for some nice old man who was hurrying to load his groceries and give us his spot.
He got me laughing so hard that people were going out of their way to avoid my car... and it was parked near the door of the store!

My all time fav Prachett character has gotta be DEATH. An entity trying very hard to be a people person...

"Hogfather" literally had me rolling on the floor laughing at his attempts to take over for an indisposed Santa Claus type figure. Especially when his assistant has to remind him that the proper response to young children peeking in him putting presents under the trees is "HO HO HO" not "Cower, brief mortals!"

Pratchet sounds like my kind of twisted humor person! Gives Christmas a whole new meaning, Cower, brief mortals! HO, HO, HO! Thanks STEVEN and all kind souls who answered my question! Death, huh!

ML have you read any of David Eddings work?

Oh yes, I've read all the David Eddings books. I have a tendancy to like series which is what most of my book shelves contain. I get so wrapped up in characters that I want to read more about them.

Padders you really do need to get talkscifibooks.com (or whatever you had in mind for it) going. I love to talk about the books I've read and to find out what others are reading.

Another tendancy I have is to just look for authors I'm familiar with instead of trying new ones. At the cost of new books nowadays, I have to spend very carefully so usually go with someone I know is going to be a good read.

I guess I'm going to have to trek to the basement to pull out some books from the boxes that are still packed. This has gotten me into the mood to reread some of those.

Cheers,

just worried it will go the same direction as scifimovietalk.com - ie no where.

i can add it very easily if there is enough interest? Ie someone to write descriptions (hehe)

Oh Dear god help me, I found a site that dealt with Prachet quotes, I only meant to stay a few minutes but 1 Hour later I 've printed off the the whole goddamned lot.
Before I begin here's the site
ftp://ftp.lspace.org/pub/pratchett/words/pdf/pdf
Now I have found some with a very weak link to Stargate, and I MEAN weak;

'Rincewind could scream for mercy in 19 languages and just scream in another 44!'(Danny!)

Infact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat,although in this case there were 3 deteremined states the cat could be in these being:
Alive
Dead
and bloody furious.
Schorodingers Moggy Explained

Somewhere about the place I've got an unfinished short story about Schrodinger's dog: It was mostly moaning about all the attention the cat was getting.

Here's one for all Parents out there:
The child had a permantly runny nose and ought to be provided with a hankichief or ,failing that,a cork.

In case you felt left out our cousins in the US of A.
The shortest unit of time in the multiverse is the New York Second, as defined as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green an the cab behind you honking!

And just for you Padders

of course,it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing,fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact.

Originally posted by Cap'tCrash

And just for you Padders

of course,it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing,fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact.

Got a new reputation have i?

it sounds like similair type of humour to Douglas Adams and the hitch hikers guide to the galazy. My fav bit has to be the "disproof of good" through the babel fish seconded by the thought of the cow that wants you to eat it. Brilliant :)

I love David Eddings book too. He is one of my favourite authors. Many of his books were translated into Czech and I read them all.
Also like Asimov's Foundation and O.S.Card's Ender's Play (dunno the name of original exactly).
Anybody here like Zelazny's Amber saga?