Texane

Frelling Wicked
--------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged.
--------------------------------

I liked the way the writers started this one - you knew, but you really didn't know, what Crichton was up to, especially during the middle of the episode. Peacekeeper? Turning on the crew? And it really gets ugly then.

I was a little surprised at some of it - interesting though.

And those Peacekeepers just keep on coming up with more leather and weapons! This was a good one.

I like the way that Crichton's scientific background showed him the answer to keeping the virus from getting away . . . although I'm sad that we lost this particular Peacekeeper. What a waste of . . . well, scenery! :rolly2:

We find out that Aeryn was awaiting approval for a transfer to this type of Peacekeeper detail: "success measured by body count."

Aeryn said to Crichton that his people probably didn't have such a thing. He told her we do, either serial killers or linebackers, depending whether they are amateursor professional.

Fahrbot, stay tuned for the next 2 epys. They are connected to this one, and just as good!

Would you believe i missed this episode first time round..

Good episode.. Critchon looks cool in PK captain uniform

I loved this ep! I've liked all of this first season but the past three episodes, A Human Reaction, Through the Looking Glass, and A Bug's Life have been by far my favorites.

I'm always skeptical of mysterious alien diseases that pass from one victim to the other because it reminds me of some bad Voyager episode. However, Farscape did a great job of making an old plot original.

One of my favorite things about this ep was seeing the darker side of Crichton. Sure, it was the alien virus doing the killing and punching, but it was so cool seeing John be the bad guy for once. Also, I loved having him play the part of the PK. He and Aeryn both looked great in the suits. :D

Another aspect I enjoyed was the other PK officers working with D'Argo and Zhaan. It proves that survival is on everyone's mind, criminal or otherwise.

I have to say I prefer Fourth season Chiana to the first season gray girl, but I did like it when she got the imprint of the key. :)

A Few Questions From This Episode:

Do all PKs have British or Australian accents? I hope that was the reason why John was using that bad interpretation of one.

Why the heck didn't Larraq and his officers watch their cargo? If I had spent a cycle searching for something I wouldn't let it out of my sight.

Why didn't Larraq know about Moya's escape from the Pks? If they had the coordinates for a PK base in the Uncharted Territories you would assume they had been in contact with their superiors at least once.

Crichton needs some work on that accent, but leather is definitely his forte'. :upto:

Now I don't want to get off on a rant here but...

To answer some of the questions posted here, this is my take on it all.

Accents: Yeah, so far all the PKs have an Australian accent mostly due to being filmed in Australia. And John's accent was bad but that's what made it so awesome.

Cargo: I think the PKs felt comfortable once they saw some "familiar" faces in Aeryn and John so maybe they didn't feel the need to babysit their cargo.

Moya's Escape: These commandos had been out looking for this thing for a while and as with most militaries, when a small group is on a specific mission they sometimes lose touch with their command structure. It's not that unlikely that Larraq and his group didn't know about Moya and PKs being the somewhat "racists" they are probably couldn't tell one Leviathan from another.

And I love the leather. Very alien and human at the same time. Besides, anything's better than the "low budget" looking khakis of earlier eps.

Do not read unless you already watched the episode

REVIEW

1.18 A Bug’s Life

W
hat's this? Why are you still holding my hand after our field-trip through The Looking Glass? Afraid of bugs, are you? There's no need for that, it's all quite safe. See how it is securely locked in a sturdy crate, with four capable Peacekeepers to guard it.... What possibly could go wrong?

Professionals they are too. Watch how they secure the Docking Bay area in one smooth move, even before the marauder itself has properly landed while heavily leaking cesium. Impressive, right? Of course, they don't know yet they will find Aeryn behind those hangar doors, handling a big gun. And she knows how to handle frelling big guns, because at heart she’s still a Peacekeeper. And here comes Crichton who – surprise! - has donned a Peacekeepers Captain uniform. He looks smart and the part, don’t you think? Relax, everything is under control.

But there is a problem. Captain Larraq, seemingly competent as he confidently tries to assert command of Moya, is not bad looking himself. If Aeryn, at some level, feels attracted to him, it’s quite understandable, fed perhaps by her missing her old life in the secure world of the Peacekeeper corps. The result is that Moya's crew will have to keep up their feeble charade while they are going to visit a Gammak Base...

Back to the crate. See how sturdy it is? Not too big or cumbersome - D'Argo wouldn't fit in it, but Rygel would, probably - yet a bit oversized for a virus-container. It has a lock which goes with a key which is carried by one of the Peacekeepers. It’s absolutely safe... except for Rygel’s drive for procurement. And Chiana snurching habits. And a few baulking pseudo prisoners escaping from their cells with mutiny on their minds.
A few microts later and there's an intelligent bug on the loose. It will release a million spores when it resides within a host for an arn or longer. Rygel is suspected to be the host - instigated by an really smart bug - hunted down, shot into stasis and locked inside the crate. And yes, it fits him perfectly! Unfortunately, the virus was intelligent enough to hide in a entirely different, much larger, person.
Now the bug is migrating freely left and right.
Well, that makes it official. Murphy’s Law rules on this Leviathan. The virus is looking for a nice and safe place to start his spore-producing cycle, but being on board Moya soon finds that even bugs get to deal with that troublesome Law.
A bugs life is very cheap. People tend to squash them whenever they get the chance. Admit it. It is not surprising to see this bug thinks exactly the same way about people. People start dropping dead like flies. What is curious though, is that it is a very selective bug. It seems to kill Peacekeepers only. Is there some ironic justice in the universe, considering the Peacekeepers were intending to use the virus for biological warfare? Anyway, it was chilling to see how ‘Johnny Bug’ killed Hassan the way you would swat a fly. Intelligent or not, by killing Hassan it has also revealed itself, with general panicking as result. Or, in other words: "Okay, so the virus is inside one of you, and you've all got guns? Great." Yup, it was great!
The bug did one final attempt to kill someone. It mistook Aeryn for a Peacekeeper and tried to kill her. It came close, very close. Closer than you'd think. Closer than I have the Nerve to tell you. Finally, thanks to Moya, an initiated starburst and a doses of leaked cesium, Crichton manages to save the universe the Uncharted Territories the day.

Phew, all is well again, the bug is dead. You can let go of my hand now. People might get funny ideas about us.