Frelling Wicked
--------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged.
--------------------------

a/k/a Peacekeeper Barbie

Rygel again negotiates on behalf of the crew with a race known as the Tavleks. Deciding to look more "royal," Rygel steals one of Moya's synaptic processors, which looks like a large gem, and which he put atop his "sceptor." All fine and good until Rygel is kidnapped, and the "gem" is needed to keep Moya in orbit.

And the Tavleks show up with one of their own little weapons . . . an arband that injects a drug into the user that gives him or her increased abilities: speed, strength, and AGRESSIVENESS.

When the young Tavlek gets captured aboard Moya, his armband comes off when he is unconscious ("you can be disarmed without being dis-armed"). Our fearless crew, trying to save Rygel (actually the "gem"), each uses the armband which brings out the worst in them :rolleyes:, except for Crighton who might not have worn it long enough.

In this epy, we find out that if a Luxon is bleeding a dark color, he will die unless the blood flows more freely, at which time it turns clear. Aeryn managed this by beating D'Argo severly in the back where the wound was . . . and after the nasty barbs they had already exchanged, she may have enjoyed it. :erm:

The writers of Farscape took a page from Stargate - bad things can happen from unknown tech of other races . . .

Hmm... I always had the feeling that it was the other way around, that David Rich had a peek into TFAL before he wrote seaon 4's "Upgrades". They didn't even change the basic idea of those psyche-up wrist devices.

Schogger

I really dug this ep... and I don't watch SG1 (sacrilege, I know :blush: ) so I don't know about any "borrowing" that might be going on... by now you should all know that the writers at Farscape are very good and are capable of inventing any number of new ideas. :D

Anyway, I was saying, I really dug this ep even though I didn't originally see it in order.... It was probably the 10th eppy I saw overall, and I thought it looked kind of rough.

After several viewings, however, I can see several relationships developing, especially D'Argo's. As in later eppys, arguements and exclamations made in anger (or under the influence;) ) often ring of truth. D'Argo still thought of Aeryn as he thought of all Peacekeepers--savage, which is exactly how Aeryn characterized Luxans in the Premiere. :D In Aeryn, D'Argo sees his wife's murderer, even though she never even knew D'Argo was married.

I love knowing what I know now and going back to see the older eps. :D There is so much more insight to be gained.

What are you guys seeing?

and I wonder if the writers were making a statement about drug use, or this line of reasoning just worked for them.

Well, I think the writer did make a comment on drug addiction through the "B" story of the boy and Zhaan. When D'Argo was wearing the gauntlet, he was more addicted to the power he felt, not the drug itself. After having been imprisoned for 8 years, he was finally able to assert himself, and the gauntlet allowed him to do this easily and immediately.

Side note... I loved D'Argo's black PJs at the end. ;)

This eppy established John's mispronunciation of alien species' names. Tavleks = Tavloids. And also that the others will correct him without thinking. And I loved the banter between John and Aeryn at the beginning re: her pulse rifle. ;) Then later, in the Prowler, his realization that she'd knocked him out. :D Don't know why he was so offended. After all, D'Argo had knocked him out his first hour on Moya! :eek:

FINALLY got to see some of the images they used in the title sequence! Three or four of John and Aeryn (very close :naughty: ) and D'Argo's arm thrust when he's trying to use the gauntlet. And one of the most memorable images from the show: Zhaan exposing herself to the Tavlek youth! :D GREAT!

This ep also had John's first use of the word "critter" for any alien that wasn't bipedal. ;) A bit of human arrogance? And it was also the first time we get to see what a truely incredible weapon the Qualta Blade really is. :D Not to mention the first time we get to see how occulars work... LOVE that John has a hard time with them at first. Guess this was an eppy of firsts! :D

A fun episode with lots of humor even in the dramatic moments. The subtext of drug addiction, while not part of the "A" story was pretty obvious. But the "B" story wasn't really about drugs but more about choice, a running theme in Farscape. The Tavloid (I like that name better) boy was presented with a choice and like somtimes in real life he didn't make the "right" choice. Instead he chose the "easy" way. You could really see Zhaan's disappointment in his decision. It was also great to see D'Argo, Aeryn and John's different reactions to the gauntlet. Even though it was a stimulant it had a unique effect on each of them. D'Argo's rage and need to be in control, Aeryn's desire to go in guns blazing and John's euphoria at a new experience were all amped up. And we get to see another major character's weakness, D'Argo's blood.

This is a wonderful episode in my opinion, very subtle. This episode showcases the humour which made Farscape stand alone from most SF on TV.

Zhaan's compassion was beautifully played and i particularly enjoyed the banter between here and the Tavloid. (Sorry). Her disappointment at the end was heartfelt. I felt to a certain extent that this was more about peer pressure than anything.

A fun episode with lots of humor even in the dramatic moments. The subtext of drug addiction, while not part of the "A" story was pretty obvious. But the "B" story wasn't really about drugs but more about choice, a running theme in Farscape. The Tavloid (I like that name better) boy was presented with a choice and like somtimes in real life he didn't make the "right" choice. Instead he chose the "easy" way. You could really see Zhaan's disappointment in his decision. It was also great to see D'Argo, Aeryn and John's different reactions to the gauntlet. Even though it was a stimulant it had a unique effect on each of them. D'Argo's rage and need to be in control, Aeryn's desire to go in guns blazing and John's euphoria at a new experience were all amped up. And we get to see another major character's weakness, D'Argo's blood.

Definitely one of the more humorous of episodes: lots of jokes and pranks between the three protagonists; while I also quite liked the secondary story between Zhaan and the boy: that kind of maternal link of mother telling her son off for being a naughty boy, but the boy not really listening and wanting to do his own cool things instead.

The actual kidnap of Rygel barely registered on my interest levels. Never really took to that character purely because he was nothing more than a Muppet in all senses of the word; plus he was an arrogant SOB, so had no compassion for his problems whatsoever.

But I loved the whole John/Aeryn banter; you could see John becoming more confident with his surroundings and intermingling with alien beings and cultures; while Aeryn was also starting to defrost a little from that tough, merciless Peacekeeper she was in the Premier. And even though she still has some hatred for nearly all alien beings, she's at least not quite so uptight with her fellow shipmates.

7/10