Texane

Frelling Wicked
------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. reviews of
the episode are encouraged.
------------------------------

In the second episode, in order to find a chemical to save their living ship, Moya, John lands on a planet where he meets a mother and her son - and finds himself as the alien from another planet.

And what was that substance?

Basically, salt! Still a preservative and flavoring, even on other planets. !:D

I think when most people consider "sci fi," they don't realise the other half of the coin: they are the alien in someone else's eyes, too.

Interesting.

Originally posted by Texane
I think when most people consider "sci fi," they don't realise the other half of the coin: they are the alien in someone else's eyes, too.

True.

I think that this is a good episode.
What I can't figure out is why they moved the order and placed this one 4 in order..

Yeah, umlak... just umlak! A seasoning for these folks, but an anesthetic for Moya. Who knew pepper could pack such a punch? :lol:

And what's that about order? This was eppy #2 as far as I know. They didn't show it in that order where you are?

Loved the Star Wars references, too.

"Yoda. Green guy. He trained warriors." Now that Aeryn could understand. :D :lol: :D

no..

They first aired it like this..

1. Premiere
2. Throne For A Loss
3. Back, And Back and Back to the Future
4.I, E.T.

that is also the order on the region 2 dvd....

Originally posted by pkgrl
"Yoda. Green guy. He trained warriors." Now that Aeryn could understand. :D :lol: :D
If only Aeryn knew what Yoda looks like! :lol:

How come they could talk to him on the planet..?? How did they know his language??

Critchon.. Its just that, in the first episode, critchon couldnt understand D'argo without the translator microbe dudes.. and so, how could the aliens on the planet understand him (critchin AND D'argo) if theyd never been injected with the translator dudes??..

I noticed this after watching a whole weekend of Farscape DVD's, best use of my time actually..

Damn... now i just seem like a geek..

(Btw, England just got the grandslam against Ireland.. not a good day for Rugby)

Every day is a good day for rugby, my friend. :D

RE: Crichton talking to the people on the planet, yeah that "problem" was discussed on the skiffy bboard back in 1999, and again in 2000, and again in 2001, just about every time someone thinks to bring up Translator Microbe Theory. (Notice it even has an official name.) ;) I think it was decided that, although they seem fairly primitive, these people may have been tampered with by the Sebaceans (or someone else with translator microbe technology) in the distant past. Remember, they not only managed to understand Crichton, but also Pilot and D'Argo. You'd pretty much have to have translator microbes if you want to understand Pilot's language... or English for that matter.

Does that help?

Now I don't want to get off on a rant here but...

Translator Microbe Theory? That could actually apply to another episode in S4 that I'll post in later.

Good catch Plethora! I didn't notice that until reading this now. And it is kinda funny that in the second episode they've already "contradicted" themselves with established technology stuff. But hey! It's Farscape and they can contradict themselves all they want as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks..

Crichton talking to the people on the planet, yeah that "problem" was discussed on the skiffy bboard back in 1999, and again in 2000, and again in 2001, just about every time someone thinks to bring up Translator Microbe Theory.

I apologize for bringing up old stuff.. but im a newbie.. gotta start somewhere right..??

Anyhow.. this one is one of my fave farscapes.. cause Critchon can understand why theyre so afraid of him.. but it also raises some questions.. what would our (or any other countries) military do if Aliens ever landed ?? Or maybe theyve already landed.. :alienooh: :iiworry:

Have you seen "A Human Reaction" yet? Check out that thread for a fairly realistic scenario of what would happen if Americans (or Australians) "found" alien life on Earth. :)

Yeah, MS, the Translator Microbe Theory came up a LOT in the fourth season. Best explanation I heard was confirmed in the fourth season and included stuff like Crichton hears what each character is saying in their own native language, but the microbes instantly translate it to English. It came up in AHR, too.

Hope that helps.

Have you seen "A Human Reaction" yet?

Indeed i have, should have thought of that one..

How could i have not seen it?! its pretty crucial to ALL of what happens on farscape later..

wwwwwwwwwwoooooooohhhhoooooooooooooooo

I'm sure enjoying this new round of Farscape discussions for Season 1!:rolly2:

Back