1.02: I, E.T.

Well.. its the logical place for a newbie to start.. right?!

Ive goteded myself an alien thingy.. *feels real proud*

Anyhow.. Sci-fi have just started repeating the whole first series in the Uk (where i live) so i get to watch them all again, and then you notice little things.. then you fear your a geek..

But, i have embraced my geekyness.. being a geek is cool..

it also appears all the geeks are the people who understand computers . . . which means geeks are running the world . . .

:eek:

For a second episode, I think this one works. We already know that John is lost in distant space with a bunch of aliens. It hasn't really sunk in that it's all real and this episode I think does that for him. Had this come later in the season I don't think the story arcs that follow would have worked as well. We needed to get John established in the universe and he had to realize just how alien everything is and what exactly his situation is. By taking the original concept of human in alien environment and then flipping that around again to make John the alien appearing to a human like species does just that. You can see it in his face when he speaks with the alien boy (I forget his name) and they talk about their wants to meet aliens. It's really poignant and although not the best episode, I, E.T. accomplishes it's goal.

Just one thing that bothered me though. The aliens on the planet could understand John's language even though they had never had any contact with aliens. How is that possible? Did they have translator microbes genetically or is this just a continuity mistake by the writers? I think it's the latter because these first few eps were all shot really quickly and so some things slip through the cracks. Like D'Argo's changing eye color. You can see that in this ep. In one scene he's got bright green eyes and in another they're blue (his natural color). But if that's all you notice then I think they did a great job.

Just watched this one yesterday, myself. The continuity things always bothered me. Remember, my first FS eps were DNA Mad Scientist and They've Got a Secret, then I saw the rest of season one before this one, so I already saw John behaving, for the most part, like he knew what he was doing. He made some mistakes, but he wasn't nearly as "golly gee" as he was in this eppy.

I did like that this one reminded John of exactly what he had lost. His "this stuff coulda been made on Earth" line and his interaction with the kid were desined for that. And his last shot in the tag, too, when Aeryn says, " Don't tell me you're going to miss that rock." He says, "No, not that rock." You can just see in his face the ache to go home. He was just reminded of our scientists, our military, our dreams as a planet-bound people, and it makes him miss his home. :(

Watching these early eps again, made me realize just how many writers they had back then... when each new ep was written by someone different. I think the continuity was looser because of that and the fast pace the crew tried to maintain for the network.

The things that bugged me the most was the "alien" characters use of language like damn, hell, minute, year, hour, etc. Once, later in the season, their individual languages were established (when I started watching) it was just jarring to hear them use English for these things. (Now, it's fun to hear them attempt to use English.) :D

hey . . . I never did find out how a guy going on a test run of a small ship ended up on Moya with Calvin's,a jumpsuit, khaki pants, a khaki jacket (complete with IASA patch), duct tape, Wynona, white t-shirt, hair accutriments, a black t-shirt, and an additional pair of darker khaki-looking cargo pants. :rolleyes:

In Premiere, didn't you see him wearing most of that under the flight suit? I did. :D Not sure that he brought the brush... might have found it onboard Moya. ;)

And ALL men bring electrical or duct tape with them... everywhere! lol Just kidding. Seeing as how he had that bag stowed away somewhere on the FS 1 module, I'd say that he had the electical tape with him, 'cause you never know with American inventions. :naughty:

This episode was pretty average and i'd give it 3 out of 5.

It's a plot that's been pretty well used throughout SF so there's nothing really new or especially interesting about this episode.

Back