Egyptian book of Ra from wich stargate got it's story.

Daniel Jackson

http://www.rostau.demon.co.uk/DestructionOfMankind/index.html

This texts tells the story of Re's plan to destroy the human race because he came to hear of mankind's plots against him. After an initial spate of destruction by the Eye of Re, the sun god relented and came up with a plan to save the remainder of mankind.

The text itself comes down to us via inscriptions from five royal tombs of the New Kingdom: Tuntankhamun, Seti I, Ramses II, Ramses III, Ramses VI. The copy presented here is scanned from Gods of the Egyptians, vol 1, by E.A Wallis Budge, the copyright having expired on this publication. The scanned images have had Budge's outdated transliteration and translation removed and the hieroglyphic text updated and corrected based on the more recent publication by Erik Hornung in Der Ägyptische Mythos Von Der Himmelskuh. In addition, sections of the text have been checked for correctness agains photographs of the inscriptions from the tomb of Seti I in Das Grab Sethos' I. by Erik Horning, pp194-195.

I will post a translation of the text soon.

hey dan !
glad you came over here but just 4 your info that should be placed in Stargate Mythology (not here) i'll get on it and change it 4 you (this is in daniel 4 your info ppl)

The info looks very interesting, more mythology stuff to read, wow the list is growing quicker than i can get through it!

i think my tutors would think so but i certainly don't !

Yeah, but they go a bit awry when it comes to Heru'Ur, I think...

Just thought I would tell u all that it isn't the eye of Re but the eye of Qebehsenuef. That is a mistake that a lot of people get wrong.

Originally posted by Anubis
eye of Qebehsenuef.

He's only one of the sons of Horus, or Canopic Gods; he shouldn't have his own Eye! There are more major Gods who deserve an Eye! ;)

I've never heard of that, tho. Do you have any online linx you could give me, to read up on it?

er...wot is the name od the rain god in stargate and the cloud god also...

Erm, dunno about that, but if anyone has any info about the eye of Qebensenuf, I'm sitting on the edge of my chair... OK, slight exageration, but still... :evil:

Ok I've come across alot of different gods....but I haven't come across any for the rain or clouds.....you sure you got it right?
:blpaw:

no, i just wanted 2 no if there was 1...i don't need 2 no now so it don't matter n e more

i guess u're a buffy fan...i am also as u might of guessed

It's not the eye of Qebehsenuef. It's the Eye of Ra. The Eye of Ra is said to be Hathor, from which humanity came as tears (perhaps a relation between Ra and Hathor). In the story of the destruction of mankind Ra, after gaining knowledge of what mankind is ploting, talks with the other great gods and They say that if He chooses to eliminate all mankind it should be His Eye to do it, because all mankind came from Her.

Thats pretty much what I thought, but I was intrigued by:
Originally posted by Anubis
Just thought I would tell u all that it isn't the eye of Re but the eye of Qebehsenuef. That is a mistake that a lot of people get wrong.
(from previous page)

btw, hey Quantum God, haven't seen u around b4... ;)

Originally posted by Quantum God
It's not the eye of Qebehsenuef. It's the Eye of Ra. The Eye of Ra is said to be Hathor, from which humanity came as tears (perhaps a relation between Ra and Hathor). In the story of the destruction of mankind Ra, after gaining knowledge of what mankind is ploting, talks with the other great gods and They say that if He chooses to eliminate all mankind it should be His Eye to do it, because all mankind came from Her.

In series 1 Hathor, she explains she is wife and daughter of Ra, and with him the mother of the other gods, which in the series means Goa'uld.

And in the same episode says she was sent by him to destroy mankind, but he changed his mind: BUT this part may have been a ruse to gain SGC's favour - but it could still be loosely based on the above myths/stories.

Yes, Ra changed His mind.
After Hathor, who transformed Herself into a lion(later the lion goddess became known as Sekhmet), killed people for a night Ra changed his mind and tried to convinvce his daughter. But she had liked the taste of human blood, so she continued. Later Ra sent wine that looked like blood into the path of Hathor and she drank it thinking it was mortal blood. She got drunk and slept for ever. (Apparently she woke up in season 1 ;) )