Process: "Set in Stone", or an exercise in revision

littlemissattitude

Super Moderator
Over in the thread on Process, there was a disucssion about feeling that once something is written down, it seems set in stone and is very difficult to revise. This can be true, as was mentioned both of outlines and of the writing itself. I think I have stumbled on an exercise that may be helpful with getting over this feeling.

Last night I was reading "Ender's Game", a short story by Orson Scott Card, that he later expanded into the novel of the same name, which I have also read a couple of times. Great book. Anyway, as I was reading the short story, I noticed several things that had changed in the transformation from short story to novel. Most of them were little things, but they were readily apparent.

So I thought that it might be helpful, if anyone is interested in seeing how that works in hopes of getting over the "set in stone" feeling once they have written something down, to read the novel "Ender's Game" and then read the short story of the same name just to see how Card handled changes in the expansion from short story to novel. I think reading the novel - the finished product - first and then the short story (which is how I did it) might be the best way to approach it, since the reader already has a set idea of how the story unfolds. Then, when reading the short story, it is easier to see how Card started out with different details, sometimes different plot points, but then altered them in the later novel.

Just thought I'd offer the suggestion, if anyone is interested. By the way, the original short story is available in a volume, with two other short stories revolving around the Ender universe, called "First Meetings". It would probably be available through the public library system.

If anyone actually decides to do this, I'd appreciate knowing if you thought it helped at all.:)

I'm mixed between that feeling. Sometimes I am writing a section that I really want to get over with and not edit ever again. Most of the time, though, I feel okay with taking things in and out. I know that professionals rewrite sections of books over numerous times and that it requires constant editing for it to be good.

Heh, I've always wanted to find the issue of Asimov's Science Fiction that Ender's Game was originally published in. I have had no luck thus far in finding it though.

I heard about First Meetings a couple months ago, but never picked it up. Do you know if it is in paperback yet?

Hmmm. That's really interesting. I just looked at the Barnes & Noble website, and the edition of "First Meetings" that they carry (just published in August 2003, so no paperback yet) contains four short story/novellas. The edition I got from the library carries a July 2002 publication date and only has three stories in it.

Oh, okay. I think I see. The edition I got out of the library is a first edition from a small publisher, Subterranean Press, while the edition that B&N is carrying is published by Tor Books. I guess the good news is that the edition B&N is carrying isn't that much for a hardcover - you can get if for less than $15 if you order it online, and it lists for less that $20 otherwise. I'd try the library first, though.

I'm really bummed now, though. I was going to write a review of this for the other side, but now I am hesitant since the edition I read is missing the one story.

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks...actually I stumbled upon that copy at my school library. They had that same version. I looked on the internet and Card's site had a different version - from TOR - his main publisher...I was confused how that copy came about...maybe from EnderCon or something?

SDNess said:
Thanks...actually I stumbled upon that copy at my school library. They had that same version. I looked on the internet and Card's site had a different version - from TOR - his main publisher...I was confused how that copy came about...maybe from EnderCon or something?
I'm not sure. I understand that the fourth story is one written especially for the Tor edition. I really want to get hold of it, as it tells the story of how Ender's mother and father met and got together. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy it right now. Haven't checked the local library system yet to see if they have the Tor edition.

Back