-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

MythingLink

First Prime of ASciFi
A man is found murdered in his office, his liver missing. There is no apparent signs of entry until Mulder discovers what turns out to be an elongated fingerprint.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Ha! It was like an episode of Supernatural, which made the eldest happier. Curiously, though, in a Supernatural episode they have time to tell a human story, as well as deal with main character development. In this X-Files episode, there was no human story - the victims were simply victims, and all the focus was on Mulder and Scully - making them our ordinary world, rather than the ordinary people who have suffered. It's an interesting point of comparison IMO - Sam and Dean are "saving people, hunting things" while Mulder and Scully are just "hunting things".

Randy M.

I suspect the creators of Supernatural learned from The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the focus shift may have been intentional. That said, I also think if you re-watch early episodes of Supernatural you'll see they evolved over time, too. It originally appealed mainly to pre-teen and teen girls -- Padalecki and Ackles were fresh off turns that had drawn attention to them (Gilmore Girls and Dark Angel respectively). I can attest to that given my then teen-age daughter when the show started.

There was a touch of that with Duchovny, I think, but mainly it was trying to be seriously spooky, certainly succeeded with this episode -- even watching it again years later I found it one of their more effectively creepy noir early outings.

Randy M.