padders

-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

Sean3w

Anise/Freya could have been portrayed better. They didn't have to make her so shallow. All in all was a good ep. I give it a 7 out of 10.
----------
Come visit http://www.sg2070.com

SGPflughaupt

Freya was pretty cold hearted about experimenting on the Team without more research. Makes the Tok'ra seem even closer to their Goa'uld kin in way.
Anise was definately not the dominate of the pair, even if she didnt like it she seemed to willing go along with Freya.

Funny moment when Anise tells Jack she is attracted to him but Freya prefers Danny.
What does an aquatic flying snake see in a guy who has legs and arms?

Mythinglink

I've got to rewatch this episode because I was so turned off by the Anise/Freya character that I don't remember much of it even after a week. If she just kind of disappears into the wood work never to be seen or heard from again, I wouldn't be disappointed at all.

MythingLink

Major Spoilers for Upgrades - a really generic synopsis of the episode.

The Tok'ra, Anise (Vanessa Angel from Weird Science), arrives at the SGC with devices she found from an ancient civilization known as the Antoniques (my spelling). She asks for SG1s assistance to test the devices - arm bands which will enhance the natural abilities of the wearer as well as give them superior strength and speed. As the experiment continues each member of SG1, except for Teal'c for whom the arm band will not work, experiences greater strength, speed, and mental acuity. Dr. Frazier becomes worried, however, when it looks as though the arm bands have released a virus into the systems of SG1. She advises Hammond to have SG1 remove the arm bands for further study into the effects they are having. SG1, however, cannot remove them.

Anise then informs Hammond and SG1 that the Tok'ra High Council would like to put the arm bands to a test. They had just received word of a new type of battleship Apophis is building. The Tok'ra believe that the now enhanced SG1 could destroy the ship. Hammond becomes angry and suspicious that this was what the Tok'ra had in mind all along and decides not to allow SG1 to participate. Hammond meets with Teal'c to get his opinion on the new ship. Teal'c is convinced after looking at the information Anise has down loaded into the SGC's computers, that Apophis must not be allowed to continue building on the ship. Hammond still balks at sending SG1 and Teal'c offers to go by himself. Hammond rejects that also as a suicide mission.

Meanwhile, O'Neill, Carter, and Daniel are also looking at the information and formulating a plan. The Gate on the planet where the ship is being built is heavily guarded. Carter explains that "Worm hole physics dictate that you exit at the same velocity that you entered." So if they entered the worm hole at speed, they would also exit that way and would be able to take out the guards before they even were aware that anyone was there. They also decide that the way to destroy the ship is not to destroy the reactor itself which is heavily shielded, but to destroy the pipes carrying water that cool the reactor instead. Strategically placed C4 would do the trick. Getting through the Goa'uld force shield would be easy for them as well. She explains that "Goa'uld force shields operate on a frequency oscillation principle." SG1 should be able to see the oscillation and time it so that they can move through it with their enhanced speed.

SG1 manages to disable the GateRoom personnel and go to the planet. They neutralize all the guards around the ship before entering. Once inside, they notice two Jaffa carrying a box and determine that it is 'weapon's grade naquada'. Daniel volunteers to get it while Carter and O'Neill set the explosives on the cooling pipes. Once that is done, they all meet back. Upon trying to leave, Daniel passes out and his arm band drops off. Carter and O'Neill rush to his side.

Back on Earth, Frazier and Anise are explaining to Hammond that the virus that is what is actually causing the enhancement of the skills is being attacked by antibodies that are building up in the systems of SG1. Once the antibodies destroy the virus, the arm bands become useless. That was what caused the extinction of the Antoniques according to Anise. Hammond becomes alarmed that SG1 is in a very dangerous situation that may turn more dangerous if their arm bands should come off.

Back on board the ship, SG1 comes under attack by a couple of Jaffa. Ducking Staff Weapon blasts, they are saved by the arrival of Teal'c who comments that he was apparently needed after all. O'Neill has Teal'c take Daniel to the entrance of the ship while he and Carter follow. Teal'c and Daniel arrive safely, but notice that they are alone. While Carter and O'Neill had been following, Carter suddenly runs into one of the force shields just as the effects of her arm band wear off. She passes out on the wrong side of the remaining force shield. O'Neill also loses his abilities, passes out, and his arm band falls off.

Alarms sound around the ship and as Teal'c tries to return to get O'Neill and Carter, extra force shields pop up and he and Daniel are cut off from O'Neill and Carter. They remain in the entrance to the ship waiting for the destruction of the ship that is only minutes away.

With Carter stuck on one side of a force field, O'Neill tries to forcibly take down the shield by destroying the wall mount where it originates from. Before he can do that, however, a Jaffa arrives behind Carter. Just as it looks as if Carter is about to die courtesy of a Staff Weapon blast, the C4 blows on the cooling pipes. This knocks the Jaffa to the ground and disables the force shields as well. O'Neill and Carter rush to the entrance of the ship and rejoin Teal'c and Daniel. With only minutes remaining before the naquadah reactor blows from lack of cooling, SG1 rush to the Gate. As Teal'c is dialing home, the ship explodes and SG1 make it through and back to the SGC.

O'Neill, Daniel, and Carter all apologize to Hammond for disobeying orders. Teal'c does not stating that he has nothing to apologize for. Hammond backs him up by saying that Teal'c did follow orders. Hammond is going to use the excuse that the three were under the influence of an alien device at the time so there would be no official reprimanding of the team.

Freya, Anise's host, tries to explain that neither one of them knew about the ship before she/they arrived at the SGC with the arm bands. Personally, I don't think anyone believed her. She stops O'Neill before he leaves for the infirmary to tell him that she hopes that they will work together again. I don't think he was too pleased to hear that. Parting shot was of Anise/Freya standing on the ramp to the Gate.

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink
The Woolfden: http://www.woolfden.net

padders

It is so unfair.. i really want to read what you wrote here, seems a mini essay :) but better not. We have to wait a few more weeks yet before we get the eps... oh i can't wait! normally we are not quite this far behind showtime, it is so annoying. (before any showtime gloating just think dvd!)
----------
Chris Padfield, administrator for TalkStargate.com
http://www.talkstargate.com/ - Talk Stargate till your heart's content!

Sean3W

Well at least it comes out in video for you faster. It seems any foreign contry gets everything before the USA. We have to wait some of a couple more months before anymore episodes of Season 1 come out! We only have gotten the first 3 eps. WHich really sucks!!

Hammer

I LOVED this episode! It was quite amusing ^_^
Despite the whole "damage to organs" thing, I want one of those armbands! It was just a great episode.
I actually like the Tok'ra. Well, kinda...I like the host, but the symbiote bugs me a bit. But that's just normal for the whole "Tok'ra" thing (I was a adamant Marty-disliker for some time). But Freya (the host) seems like an alright kind of person (for someone with a snake in her head). Did anyone else notice the looks she was giving Jack at the end? I sense a B-storyline coming on...

My favourite parts of this episode would have to be Daniel's line of "I'll get it"...so simple, yet perfectly done :)

Then there was the whole thing at O'Malley's...that just cracked me up! From the cravings, to ordering (and the whole mention of the fence, etc), then to see Sam hustling the guys, then the whole "Geek" thing. (A new thing to add to the "Everything I know, I learned from Stargate list"...#whatever: Don't call Daniel a geek when he's under an alien influence)

But oh...SG-1 in a barfight...I just couldn't stop laughing! And then the best lot of lines has to go to the end scene.

Jack: Well anyway, I'm sorry.
Sam: Me too.
Daniel: Me three.
<All look at Teal'c (who's looking smug) and pause>
Teal'c: I have no need to apologise.
Hammond: Teal'c was following orders.
Jack: Of course he was.

Despite what some people have been saying, I'm saying that I loved this episode.

----------
Hammer - DANIELite, JACKette, TEAL'Conian, KAWler, FERling and GM of the Stargate Command RPG
"Didn't I order you to get a life?" -- Jack O'Neill, The Other Side ¦ "Greetings from Earth, Doctor Jackson" Louis Ferretti, Children Of The Gods

MythingLink

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole Anise/Freya thing. Don't like the either side of her. And the costume has to go. For a show that has in the past shown that women aren't just objects to drool over, they are on the road to undoing that. With the two successive episodes that she's been in, her neckline has dropped until I was fearful she was going to fall out of her top completely.
I have to stop and think that maybe the whole idea was to make people dislike her and if it was, they are one the right track.

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

Sean3W

I knew those damn arm bands were to good to be true. I mean, with those, they could have destroyed to Goa'uld right then and htere but no... they had to wear off after a few days and not work agian after

MythingLink

Those armbands kinda reminded me of a Farscape episode. Guess those ideas just bounce around from venue to venue.
Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

I have seen this episode this morning (downloaded) And thought it was pretty cool especially when they are eating at the bar/steakhouse place.

Did this episode seem a little long to anyone?

No, I didn't. What do you suppose it was that made it seem long to you?

Cheers,

I dunno, it's just that they seem to do a lot of things ie, Anise came, they tried the armbands out, they went to bar, they then destroyed the ship......

I think it's probably only because i've seen this ep ONLY once, so i might have to watch it some more.....

I really enjoyed this episode, but I want to know more about this plunging neckline mythinglink which episode is that mate ??

hehe

Ranger

It was new episod day today and this was it. Lots to comment on!

Well finally meet the Anise/Freya person and um.. yes... not going to say much i don't think there.

Those arm bands, yeah farscape episode - i know excatly what you are talking about even down to the "drug" bit of it and loosing rational thought. Hehe but looking on production timetable i am guessing no one really copied anybody else.

The whole bar fight thing, hysterical. The look on the waitress' face (i am surprised she accepted the order) but it was so funny. I just wish we got to see Daniel in the fight! Knocking over all those Jaffa at the gate was pretty cool as well!

I liked the episode, nice idea. I think Jack was a little bizarre leaving behind the arm band - not exactly what we want the Goa'uld to be able to somehow reverse engineer.

Fun episode, enjoyed it a lot.

Don't think there's any threat of the Goa'uld reverse engineering the armbands since the ship they were left on was destroyed and I can't see the Goa'uld finding them among the rubble since they don't appear to me to be the kind of people who would search for survivors. <G>

Cheers,

That's true, good point. And i suppose if the tok'ra couldn't get them to work then goa'uld couldn't on themselves but they could draft in some slaves i guess somehow and get them to use it.

Yup that was my first thought, but then I remembered that they blew up the ship. <G>

Cheers,