Leadership Qualities

archiver

MythingLink

No it's not a trick question. Basically I'm curious about what others think make him such an effective team leader. His SG team is unusual because it consists of military and civilian personnel and his ability to lead isn't hampered by that. Why do you think that's so?
Cheers,

----------
MythingLink
The Woolfden: http://www.woolfden.net

padders

Firstly and most importantly, they all trust him. He has shown his dedication to all the team members continually. This most be the most important aspect of leadership.
----------
Chris Padfield, administrator for TalkStargate.com
http://www.talkstargate.com/ - Talk Stargate till your heart's content!

Marleen

He is devoted to his team and would die for them. Like ML said he can can lead a civilian (Daniel)and military persons. Leading Daniel...well that's difficult with him running around everytime he see's some rocks (artifacts)and all. Daniel only died a couple of times so Jack's doing a good job...errrrr....
Anyway I would follow him, but that's got to do with those brown puppy eyes *grin*

----------
What are you crasy!!! Oh, you are...sorry...

Marleen

Like in the episode Dead man switch
Jack suggested they just fly home and be home in time for dinner. Not thinking they are millions of km away and it would take about 10 years (according to Carter). But then he (later in the episode) corrects his earlier mistake by saying they can fly to a nearby planet with a Stargate. I thought that was very clever...So he isn't stupid, but sometimes he speaks before he thinks.
Always making witty remarks to your enemy frequently leads to great pain, he knows that but he continues to make funnies :)

He can make everybody smile even in the worst possible situation. I like that so I will still follow him...

But don't discard those gorgeous eyes MythingLink *grin*

----------
If a schizophrenic threatens with suicide, are we talking about a hostage
situation then?

MythingLink

Personally I think what you refer to speaking before he thinks is intended to get Sam and Daniel thinking. It's one way of using your assets. <G> By making snide remarks or really silly sounding comments he might get them to come up with different ideas to get out of a situation.
Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

SGPflughaupt

Plus he gets enemies to underestimate until its too late. It may be just habit to play slow-witted for that reason. Not that he does really understand What Daniel and Sam are spouting but plays the buffoon for effect like Miss Link (a pun,sorry could resist must have URGO in me) suggests.

MythingLink

Every once in awhile he jumps in there like when Daniel underestimated his knowledge in Singularity. I think the man knows a lot more than people give him credit for.
Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

Jack is strong, courageous, sharp, witty, compassionate and cares about his team members. He would give his life for each and every one if need be. He is likeable by humans and aliens alike and is not afraid to bend rules when he feels they need bending.

What a big set of Jack qualities.... I just have one to add to the list "Fearless"

Actually i would also call Jack Stubborn which would tie in with your post of him 'bending the rules', gamma?

I agree, Jack is most definately stubborn. Especially when it comes to something he feels strongly about or one of his friends being in danger or doing something he disagrees with. I think it can be a good quality, depending upon the circumstances!

Oh,and I forgot - fearless - yes, that goes with courageous. Jack has true heroic qualities. He's my hero.

Leadership you either have it or you don't.
Jack has it in heaps.He knows his team, knows their strenghs and weaknesses,trusts them to do what he asks to the best of their abilities.He is responsible for them and will do his best for them.I think the smart remarks to the 'badguys'is a way of keeping their attention on him thus protecting the team.
If I had a superior officer who trusted me to do my job,knew me rather than just my name,someone I knew would risk himself supporting me,then I would follow him to the jaws of hell(of course having drop dead gorgeous eyes helps!)