Terrible films!

Those of us around in 1977 remember Lucas saying he had planned three trilogies, and that he started with Star Wars as those were the best characters.
I planned three trilogies but decided to start with the only good one :D

I remember when a TV station advertised episode 4 a new hope as "the film that started it all." I was on the phone in a flash.

About as bad as the time a TV guide trivia listed Optimus prime as the leader of the transformers!
Retro history changes suck.. but I'm not sure about the above.

"Episode 4" did start it all, even if under a different name. And Optimus Prime was leader of the Transformers in the 80s series and start of the movie.. :D But I get your point. (I suppose could also quibble on the difference between Autobots and Transformers).

The Toxic Avenger, Nuke 'em High, etc. I hate that series. Totally unfunny and poorly written. Also, Rubber, a movie about a psychic tire. I don't know why critics liked it so much.

As much as I like Adam Sandler, he has made a few stinkers. That's My Boy was awfully lowbrow, and I predicted the end of Just Go With It a couple minutes in.

Also: the Scott Pilgrim movie and Hester.

""Episode 4" did start it all, even if under a different name."

Luckily that is totally incorrect. It was released as Star Wars, nothing more. Star Wars started it all. The original theatrical version is available on the second hand market as laserdisc and special edition DVD bonus disc. I believe VHS also. If you watch it you will see only Star Wars appears on screen. Empire and Jedi do have the episode titles, as by that point Lucas was well running amuck. Also note, no episode titles on any merchandise or toys of the time, that I've ever heard of or seen, if further proof was necessary.

A lot of films have name changes prior to release, they usually use working titles, like blue harvest, or are charged for other reasons like Revenge of the Jedi. But they are not the real names of the released films.

Star Wars may well have been a flop, which would be bad enough without having a regrettable episode 4 stuck on it hampering it's use. So, the reasons are sound.

Another example is Master and Commander, the far side of the world. There is a reason it's not called episode 10 (from memory it was the 10th book). As that would be daft for a first film, and as it unfortunately transpired, it is the only film in that series.

There is a very good site dedicated to the subject of preserving the original theatrical versions if you have a search. Apparently Lucas even tried to swap the national archives original copy with a special edition version, the cheek!

It's good to be very clear on such things as the less initiated may not understand and that can perpetuate the problem.

The film released in 1977 was called Star Wars.

Future generations should be able to see it as it was originally released. Let's make sure it's not forgotten.

Optimus prime was the leader of the Autobots. If Churchill was the leader of WW2, he just sucked, as his troops were fighting themselves. If you write trivia questions remember to get your facts right.

2012 by Rolan Emmerich, the amount of cringworthy situations the characters had to get out of, always the ground was collapsing or they had to fly through falling buildings.

""Episode 4" did start it all, even if under a different name."

Luckily that is totally incorrect. It was released as Star Wars, nothing more. Star Wars started it all.
Exactly. The same film but they have used the incorrect/different name..
At least they are not claiming The Phantom Menace started it all :D

I planned three trilogies but decided to start with the only good one :D

The magnitude of Star Wars success was unexpected . I seriously doubt he had anything mapped out beyond the first film. :)

The magnitude of Star Wars success was unexpected . I seriously doubt he had anything mapped out beyond the first film. :)
Reading lots of star wars books in the late 70s I remember seeing quotes from Lucas saying he had planned the three trilogies and started with Star Wars as they were the characters that worked best.

All of the Jurassic movies. I couldn't get past the totally bogus pterosaurs.

2012 by Rolan Emmerich, the amount of cringworthy situations the characters had to get out of, always the ground was collapsing or they had to fly through falling buildings.

Its bad but, not as bad as Geostorm and Midway.

Anything Adam Sandler is in seems to get panned quite heavily. His worst being Jack and Jill which if I’m not mistaken swept every Golden Razzie award

The Fred trilogy is awful. Not one thing in any of the 3 films is funny which is about the level you expect from a guy who got famous for raising his voice like a chipmunk. Even at the time I never thought it was funny

As a child, this is the film that taught me the meaning of the word "hypothetically"...

Id actually like to have seen what Irwin Allen in prime could have done with one.

Anything Adam Sandler is in seems to get panned quite heavily. His worst being Jack and Jill which if I’m not mistaken swept every Golden Razzie award...
A colleague of mine was telling me his son is really enjoying Adam Sandler movies recently. The boy is 11. Makes me think maybe youngsters are the ones who keep him with a fan base. Even if not all his movies may be suitable for pre-teens.