1.10: The Torment Of Tantalus

I always type it in at the end of every post. Kind of like saying '10-4, over and out'. <G>

Cheers,

That's a good skill to have, in my eyes anyway.....

Over and Out,

I also think this is one of the best episodes of Season 1, tying with 'The Nox' for first place, and watching it again, it really shows how poor the writing has recently become.

But first time around, I never realised how derivitive the story really is - man trapped, believed dead for 50 years - and the 'Back to the Future' way of powering the gate. It was too conveinient the way the DHD just dropped through the floor while the rest of the castle remained.

The other thing that really struck me was why Catherine just believed her father and never asked further questions about Ernest. Didn't Daniel say that information had been revealed by the Pentagon under the Freedom of Information Act. Does that not make it available to everyone? Surely, she would have been the the first one there at the door, even if she had not tried to get answers earlier. Questions such as: why was there no body?

Originally posted by Dave
The other thing that really struck me was why Catherine just believed her father and never asked further questions about Ernest. Didn't Daniel say that information had been revealed by the Pentagon under the Freedom of Information Act. Does that not make it available to everyone? Surely, she would have been the the first one there at the door, even if she had not tried to get answers earlier. Questions such as: why was there no body?
I would imagine it was partly due to culture at the time. If "father said so" that was it - or certainly a lot more than today. And what could she do about it later? Even with the FOI Act, the information would be there, in a small box in a huge warehouse. Even after a few years she'd probably get over it and almost forget. She doesn't strike me as the sort who would sit and mope.

Originally posted by PTeppic
She doesn't strike me as the sort who would sit and mope.
No she doesn't, but she is very inquisitive, or at least she used to be. She served coffee to Ernest and her father, even though they had a maid, because she wanted to overhear about the project. She suggested to Ernest that they use DC rather than AC. Then she just forgot about the Gate for 50 years, even though she was aware that they had begun new experiments with it. I still think her curiosity would have been stirred more.

Originally posted by Dave
Then she just forgot about the Gate for 50 years, even though she was aware that they had begun new experiments with it. I still think her curiosity would have been stirred more.
She led those experiments... and Daniel finally opened the gate to Abydos. But, she then dropped out of sight again and a year later didn't know they'd opened it AGAIN after Apophis' raid...

Did you see Dr Becket from SG Atlantis! playing the young scientist who goes through the gate!

Well I never!!

Ranger