Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

RangerOne SG13 SOR

Great episode, loved it :)
but...

In the film they discovered that only Abidos was still in "Alignment" with Earth so they could still gate travel between the 2 planets. Now in the series when they found the planet directory Sam came out with a statement about how they now knew how much out of alingment the sytem was and how they would be able to adjust their calculations for future travel.

Well thats great but... if at the time the only way back to Earth was thru Abidos how did the Goa`uld get to Earth from Chulak ???
Becuase they went to Earth first then Abidos second.

This also brings up a bigger question.

Granted that they can make new calculations at the SGC with all the computer equipment (thats why I believed they never went for a DHD when it was available) and travel to new worlds but how do they adjust the reverse calculation to Earth or is it permanantly re-aligned at the SGC for incoming travel as well..

Hey did I just answer my own question???

hehe

;P

----------
"you want sarcasm, pleased to meet ya"

padders

Completly lost me! I really need to watch the film again, come on DVD .... its coming i hope :)
----------
Chris Padfield, administrator for TalkStargate.com
http://www.talkstargate.com/ - Talk Stargate till your heart's content!

SGPflughaupt

Heres another problem....Sam said that the alignment btw Tau'ri (I like the better than Earth,lets petition the UN for a name change) and Abydos worked because of the were near so the galactic expansion or drift hadnt invalided their coordinates. But in the movie when the gate was activated and the probe sent they said they tracked almost all the way across the known galaxy which would indicate that the two world were not close.

SGPflughaupt

No, In this ep. Sam also mentioned that they had tried sets of coordinates and none worked and Danny had also. It was suggested by Danny that the reason they dont work is that the planets have drifted and so they are not at the same coordinates. Sam suggested analyzing the target planets change in position and then correcting the coordinated dials for the shifts. The closer in space the less the change in coordinates btw two gates but the great the distance,the greater the change. Hence my question...the movie indicates a great distance to Abydos but this ep. suggests they are close because the original coordinates still work.

MythingLink

However we don't really know what is considered 'close' in this instance. It could still be clear across the galaxy, but be closer than the other planets in the Stargate system. Do we know for sure that we are travelling within the Milky Way Galaxy or into other ones?
As for how the Goa'uld got to Earth from Chulak, as Sam said they (the builders of the Gates) would have taken the red shift into consideration. The DHD itself probably calculates for it automatically.

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink
The Woolfden: http://www.woolfden.net

Wowzers what an old thread

This is one hell of an episode hey?
One of the best bits was when Daniel is saying good-bye to the people of Abydos.

How did Jack know that the Planet was called Abydos? I'm pretty sure that he is not told in the movie.

Also how did Teal'C turn on the Stargate at the very start of the episode?

Heh some good wathing skills there...
Also how did Jack know that the planet is/was called Abydos in the movie I never hear him get told but in Pilot he says very early "There creatures are not from Abydos" (or something along them lines)
I have more questions but they can wait...

Oh someone along the way probably mentioned it. ;) There are unimaginable things we don't get to see because they don't really do anything for the storyline. Some things have to be assumed or it would bog down the show.

Cheers,

I have watched it many of times and never hear Jack get told... yeah maybe it is just one of those things we expect...

I have a question. Remember when Hammond showed Jack the dead Jaffa? What happened to their symbiotes? Did Maybourne get them? Are they floating in formaldahide at Nellis (Area 51)? Are they wandering the universe or dead?

We saw the two dead Jaffa but no dead symboites.

Yeah at Area 51 or perhaps they took up an acting career for the independance day sequel :)

Heh,
Apophis would never be heard of if he came through to earth a day later.....

If you want to go by what the book adaptation says about the symbiotes, Apophis picked them up and took them when they left the body of the dead Jaffa.

Cheers,

MythingLink, Martouf and Padders,
Thanks for the replies. Did not say what happened in the movie, glad someone read the book. Now can relay to others that are curious.
MythingLink, Finished NEXUS, enjoyed it.
jsc

This was the ultimate - the pilot. It set everything up and took over right after the movie. I loved it. It was gut-wrenching when Sharay and Skaara get taken by Apophis though. My favorite scene in the whole movie is when Jack and Daniel have the heart-to-heart talk at Jack's place after coming back from Abydos. They are both so vulnerable and open with one another and I think that moment cements their friendship.

very good ...

chidren of the gods is a very good film ..

good story, good special effects ...

Reveiw:

Brilliant, absolutly brilliant.

I prefer this to the film, really. The feature-length gives enough time for a sturdy plot to be built up, and also room for a contrast between action, drama and emotion. This is shown in the last scene of Daniel on Abydos, and when he's on Chulak, compared with the fights at the start, end, and when Skaara and Shar're get taken. My video completely misses out the scene with Daniel at Jack's house, but I saw it on TV, lovely addition.
Top episode, I'd continue if I didn't think it would take up too much space.