Conflicting Time Periods

SDNess

I'm writing a story (epic fantasy) now and I have a dilemna with time periods/technology.

Could a "swords and magic" era exist at the same time as an "industrial" era in the same world?

Different civilizations have different rates of evolution, but would my story still be serious, for example, if trains and airships are used in one part of the world and catapults, trebuchets, and medieval combat are stilled used in another?

Would I be able to equip certain weapons such as muskets or cannons?

Well, it sort of occurred before, with SOme civilisations years ago teching faster than others through the ages.

However, the problem with industrial and medieval era existing in the same planet at the same time is kind of hard to pull off. Since if they met the industrial era would easily win against the medieval, except from the assistance of some very powerful magic.

The killing capacity of industrial technology is far greater than medieval stuff. If they went to war i would give the win to the industrial hands down, and if the medieval were to win, i'd wonder how they'd manage it.

Then again, if they were to never meet, then it's possible. That's just my view on it. I can't see how bombs vs. catapults could really work well.

I'm assuming magic would help equalise the conflicts.

However, there needs to be a very convincing reason why such disparate cultures have evolved on a single world. Geographical isolation is a cause of course, but if both cultures are fairly large and one has airships - well, they would definitely have stumbled upon the other culture sooner or later. Maybe that is what the story would best be about? Otherwise it seems very unconvincing to me.

(Should this go in the writer's forum, btw?)

You could think along the terms of the Conquistadors when they wiped out the Aztec civilisation. The technology gap was huge and it was pretty one sided because of it.

The problem you have is coming up with a valid reason for the lesser civilisation existing so long without suffering the effect of the other on its technological advancement. Isolationism? Some sort of physical barrier just recently removed? (could be a magical barrier).
Just throwing a few thoughts your way :D

knivesout said:
(Should this go in the writer's forum, btw?)
I don't see why not. It is a writing problem, after all, and a valid question at that.

I also don't see why there can't be such disparate cultures represented in the same world. After all, in the real world, stone age groups have (and may still) share the world with industrial civilizations. Think of the Cargo Cults that originated during World War II. Of course, this sort of condition would probably presuppose geographical isolation - but might also be a condition of political separation as well. There are real-world examples of this in the differences between Soviet and Western science during the Cold War era, when science in the Soviet Union had to conform to Marxist-Leninist ideology - this had implications especially in the biological sciences. I've also come across the idea in some fantasy that a culture had lost most or all of their technology through some kind of banning for whatever reason.

SDNess, you might want to look at some cultural anthropology texts for suggestions on where to look for information on the results when such different levels of technology meet for ideas on how this works in the real world. This could give you ideas for how you might want to play off such meetings in designing your world, if indeed your cultures meet. You especially might want to look at - as Foxbat suggested - the meeting between the Aztecs and the Spanish conquistadors, and also at the meetings between North American native cultures and Europeans, and South American and African first contacts with more elaborate (I wouldn't necessarily like to say "advanced") technologies.

Remember, however, that while a true "swords and sorcery" culture in a fantasy work might be at some disadvantages in meeting a more technologically advanced society, the society that possesses magic might also have some advantages over a culture that only possesses material technology and might not even believe that magic exists.

Actually, I think that this sort of story idea is a fertile background for looking at all kinds of interesting conflicts and has some fascinating implications. Good luck on your writing, SDNess.:)

Another idea just struck me: you could consider the route taken many times by Michael Moorcock - that of the Multiverse. Perhaps you could explain the discrepancy by having the two different cultures in two different parts of the Multiverse which happen to overlap and intrude on each other given the right set of circumstances.

I love a good bit of brainstorming :D

Wow...this place is great.:D I'm pleased with your responses.

The age of technology that I am aiming at would be mid 1800's - up to the creation of the train.

bombs vs. catapults could really work well.
What would you define as a bomb? In Lord of the Rings, Sauramon has possession of some explosive material (which they use to blow up the tunnel at Helms Deep). Bombing would definetly not be advanced - cannons were used pretty early on in history (1600-ish...I think).

Geographical isolation is a cause of course, but if both cultures are fairly large and one has airships
[quoteIsolationism? Some sort of physical barrier just recently removed? (could be a magical barrier). [/quote]Those work quite well together.:)

Another idea just struck me: you could consider the route taken many times by Michael Moorcock - that of the Multiverse. Perhaps you could explain the discrepancy by having the two different cultures in two different parts of the Multiverse which happen to overlap and intrude on each other given the right set of circumstances.
I thought of using that one with another story. It is very interesting and does connect well with a science fiction setting (or would it still be "fantasy"...?)

SDNess, you might want to look at some cultural anthropology texts for suggestions on where to look for information on the results when such different levels of technology meet for ideas on how this works in the real world.
I'll have to find some time to do that. :rolleyes: History is a very good reference, I recently learned.

Thanks, again, everyone.

SDNess said:
The age of technology that I am aiming at would be mid 1800's - up to the creation of the train.

That's different then! When you said industrialized I invisioned world war 2 timeframe, or even today's.

It could work easier then, since we're not talking air travel yet (are we?). The only thing we have to contend with is boats, but some strong magic could explain that reason away.

You could make it a post apacylptic world where technology is on the

way out and medieval weaponry on the way back in. (without the use of magic)

It would be very hard to convince the reader that the medieval society could

survive the industrial revolution. Even in isolated areas such as Japan there

were samurai who died resisting technology. Samurai warfare and strategy

was far superior to that of the west but bows and arrows and swords aren't

very

effective against weapons capable of firing multiple rounds. But don't get

discouraged because anything is possible and there is a solution to make your

world work. You just have to rely on your imagination to make it happen.

I have to admit my elvish space pyrates still have a sword duel from time

to time. But I am a hokey writer who does whatever i want not someone

seeking to create a realistic world with plausible events.