padders

-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

MythingLink

I've always enjoyed the episodes the introduces new mythologies into the mix. This episode gave us both the Unas and the Asgard.
But what I found the most interesting was the little 'test' that Jack put Daniel through at the end of the show by giving him the Staff Weapon and the responsibility for destroying the Hammer so that Teal'c could leave. I don't think he was doing it to put Daniel on the spot or to prove his loyalty to the team, but to show Teal'c that no matter what the consequences, Jack wasn't the only one who considered Teal'c 'family'.

I would have liked to see them try something, though, before destroying the Hammer and that would be trying to physically move Teal'c through the way that Jack did when he first tackled him to get him out of the Hammer and then by yanking him on his second jaunt into it to get rid of the Unas.

I also kind of wondered if the Hammer would have stopped a Staff Weapon blast from entering the cave. Could Jack have taken the SW to the other side of the Hammer and fired it into the cave to hit the Unas while he and Teal'c were waiting for him to show up?

One little nit about it. Carter tells Kendra to bury the exit to the cave so as to trap any Jaffa or Goa'uld inside. I don't think that would have worked too well. They would still have any weaponry they had carried with them and would have been able to use it to blast their way out of the cave.

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink
The Woolfden: http://www.woolfden.net

padders

I also thought it was a really rushed decision to just to destroy the hammer like they did. I really did not think they thought long enough about what alternatives they had.
The staff weapon bit, ekk.. need to re watch the episode before i can comment!

----------
Chris Padfield, administrator for TalkStargate.com
http://www.talkstargate.com/ - Talk Stargate till your heart's content!

Heh, yeah they are stupid for destroying the hammer... they could of just waited for someone to bring back a shovel from earth to dig under :)

Okay maybe a jackhammer but it would of been worth it...

My favorite part of this Ep. is the begining. Daniel is giving an extremly dramatic reading of Norse myth. Then Jack interupts with a no thrills summery.

ZachWZ

Originally posted by archiver
MythingLink

But what I found the most interesting was the little 'test' that Jack put Daniel through at the end of the show by giving him the Staff Weapon and the responsibility for destroying the Hammer so that Teal'c could leave. I don't think he was doing it to put Daniel on the spot or to prove his loyalty to the team, but to show Teal'c that no matter what the consequences, Jack wasn't the only one who considered Teal'c 'family'.
I never really thought it was a test, but more like Jack giving Daniel the control over the situation. it was Daniel choosing to save teal'c even though he knew that this could potentially save his wife. i think Jack knew what Dan would choose, but he wanted Daniel to be sure that Daniel realized that he wanted to do it. Urgh! my thought aren't coming out all that well in words. sorry.

Certianly it was Daniel who was losing the most, by the destruction, so it was IMO the best leadership decision of Jack's to give Daniel the staff-weapon. He was then in control of his own/Sha're's destiny as well as Teal'c's.

Also, why not take the staff weapon outside and try putting a hole through the cave wall?

My first thought when I saw the episode was: Why didn't Jack tried to push Teal'c out of teh hammer, instead of inside, as some of you pointed out.. that really bugged me,

But it was kind of fun to see, when Sam and Daniel first met teh lady.. don't remember her name.. the one that introduced them both to Kendra anyway. Their first conversation, when the horse standing behind her, and the horse shifts his head from left to right, almost every scene :)

It was a rash decision to destroy the hammer in my opinion. It's not like they were in a huge hurry to get out of there. The danger was gone, they just needed Carter and Daniel to come up with a plan. They could have left Teal'c and Jack and gone back to earth to figure it out. They could have sent food in, etc. At least try all options before blowing it up.

Unas

I must say, it was a surprise to learn that a big name star like James Earl Jones was doing the voice for the Unas! I suppose he has got the right voice, everytime I hear it I always think of Darth Vader.
Also, a bit of a nitpick. The blond kid that Kendra is healing was also on Chulak in Children of the Gods. Why is he on Cimmeria?

Well spotted! [I hadn't... :p ]

I was about to say quite possibly because he is from Cimmeria... we know the Goa'uld rounded up likely suspects from many planets - including Earth.

But of course, they couldn't have come to collect from Cimmeria - unless the person was very near the gate, and the Jaffa somehow managed to re-dial out very quickly. We don't really know if the Hammer only works if incomers try to leave the vicinity of the gate...

It is probably just an error - Hanno (Cor-Ai) is also Simon (in Demons).

I just rewatched the episode and found out that Marduk ( The Tomb ) was already mentioned here.
He enslaved Jebanna (sp?), the world where Kendra lived.

But then about the Hammer.
If the Goa'uld come with ships, the hammer couldn't do anything right ?
It can only teleport people who come through the Stargate ...
Not really that great defense ...

Isn't the planet technically part of the Asgard Protected Planets thingy - in which case why didn't Thor detect the invasion by Heru-ur in the first place?

What I LOVE about THOR's HAMMER

Okay---Despite the Daniel issues (which I can ignore) I do love the Thor's Hammer Episode because it is sucha Great Jack and Teal'c show! I just love it when Jack and Teal'c are together on screen! There is such commradery!

From the first minutes, after the come through the Stargate....and Teal'c is in trouble as the Thor's Blue transport beam captures him, and Jack leaps to his aid, throughout every second of their journey through the caverns in their quest to find freedom, the connection between the two men is just---outstanding!!!

YEEEEWWWWW-HAWWWW!!!

I love it when Teal'c tells Jack to go ahead and leave and Jack's firm repsonse is, "I'm not going anywhere!" And oh, that wonder "Teal'c" expression!

And those great, humorous moments -- as my best Stargate friend says, the Lions and Tigers and Bears, "oh, my" moments -- when teal'c and jack are trying to convince each other that the First One is really dead. Too funny!

And soo Little Boy like-- yet, given the real danger for both men, understandable!

And the way Jack never hesitates to just take on that Unas ---! You go, Warrior! Especially at the end, when he can free himself-- but stays to help Teal'c fight to the very last! OH YEAH!!!!!

What a great bonding story for Teal'c and Jack!

And then, when the others show up -- well, Jack's expressions when he has to confront Daniel's intentions and desires are also just great.

There is no moment of softness. No question as to where he stands on the issue. His voice betrays no "iffness" -- it's just:

Teal'c is leaving this place -- NOW!

That he expected Daniel to make it possible, was really just his way of telling Daniel to wake up to what the harsh realities of life - and the Universe -- has to offer:

"Teal'c is here now," (Look Daniel, you don't know if you'll ever find Sha're....)

To Teal'c: "No! You're part of this family now! We're not leaving you behind"
(Don't you understand, yet, Teal'c -- you're more than just my friend. You're my brother!)

And when he handed Daniel the weapon..... (Make a decision Daniel. Are you a part of this team or not!)

I think what is interesting, most of all, after Teal'c is able to walk through Thor's Hammer, and he thanks Daniel -- and Daniel's only response is to comment, "At least we know it can be done, right?"

Hmmmm----wonder what Jack thought of that response? Did he ever call Daniel on that comment?

Anyway....just love this episode!

As I said in another post, Jack should have been court-martialed for destroying the hammer without even trying to find another solution.

What was the big rush? Teal'c wasn't going anywhere. Jack wrecked what could have been a key piece of technology simply to prevent Teal'c from spending a few days in a cave.

I also don't know why Jack was so eager to *save* the man responsible for the kidnapping and killing of one of his fellow air force officers, not to mention being responsible for Skaara and Sha're being goa'ulded. If I were Hammond, I would have taken a very dim view of Jack's actions.

He had risked his own life to change sides, bringing knowledge and skills which had already proved useful and will continue to do so for several years, saving SG-1's lives on numerous occasions. He had also allowed himself to be subjected medical experiments to try to save Kowalsky, one of Jack's closest friends. There's also the whole "don't leave a man behind" thing going on...

I perceived O'Neill's decision to destroy the hammer device as being selfish and arrogant. Regardless of how indebted the rest of SG1 was to Teal'c they had no right to take this course of action. SG1 jeopadised the lives of many innocent people for the welfare of one of their own members. Even Jackson's sole response was only considering himself, with no regard for the Cimmeria people. The safety of the Cimmerians was not SG1's to risk.