David Eddings

jiggy

The Belgariad and the mallareon series. Ive just bought the first four books in the belgariad pawn of prophercy, queen of sorcery, magicians gambit, castle of wizardry. Ive bought them all on recommendation and am hoping they live up to expectation. Has anyone one read them and can comment on them?

I found them very enjoyable and light reads.

Great for reading during a lazy afternoon and want something to make you feel good.

The Eddings Gambit

jiggy said:
The Belgariad and the mallareon series. Ive just bought the first four books in the belgariad pawn of prophercy, queen of sorcery, magicians gambit, castle of wizardry. Ive bought them all on recommendation and am hoping they live up to expectation. Has anyone one read them and can comment on them?
I have read Pawn of Prophercy and Queen of Sorcery. Also, I read the first novel from the Mallorean Series, Guardians of the West. I doubt they will change your world, but I certainly agree with nemogbr; you will find them a fun, quick read.

On a sidenote, I would recommend that you do not read The Rivan Codex : Ancient Texts of THE BELGARIAD and THE MALLOREON. David Eddings comes across within his reflections on fantasy writing as a bitter, grumpy old man. :(

I've read all of them and I think it is Eddings' best work, I might re-read them just for a treat.

Has anyone read The Redemption of Anthalus?

Haven't gottenmy hands on a copy as of yet. Wondered whether it was worth it. I'm more of a Belgarion/Belgarath fan :D

Good advice from a David Eddings fan: do not read The redemption of Althalus, you'll probably be very disappointed.

The Belgariad and The Mallorean were excellent stories, and easy reads as has been pointed out already. I found the two prequels to this series more enjoyable but you have to read the series first. Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress. The Sparhawk series was also quite enjoyable. The Rivan Codex made me despise Eddings as so accurately pointed out by McMurphy. To add to McMurphy's criticism, Eddings also tries to teach us how to write fantasy... 'Teach' being the operative word. I suppose he can't help his teaching background, but I hold it against him. He appears very much out of touch with what I would call new fantasy. JV Jones and George RR Martin are good examples of this 'new' fantasy. After he wrote the Rivan Codex, Eddings wrote the Althalus rubbish. I read the first two or three chapters but could take no more of his talking cat. If somebody can promise me that it is good then i might give it another whirl. His most recent book is called the Elder Gods. I own it but have never read it as yet. The talking cat and the abuse he threw at the late great Tolkien still echo through my mind... When it is obvious that Errand is a sorcerer, and will thus receive the Bel prefixed to his name, do you think it odd that he suddenly becomes Errion. This name change may only happen in the UK editions. Belerrand sounds to close to a certain British profanity. The lays of Beleriand a homage to Tolkien perhaps....

I found the early Eddings works of The Belgariad and The Mallorean to be excellent examples of 'easy reading' fantasy that don't require much thought. Unfortunately, I have steadily gone off Eddings as a writer ever since. He seems unable to reinvent himself. All of his characters quickly degenerate to display the same dry, sarcastic humour, which brings a sense of deja vu to every conversation. This is a great shame, as he was one of my icons in my teenage years. Despite this, he remained an influence in my own writing when I finally started. I thoroughly recommend his first two series and would recommend The Elenium and The Tamuli to a degree (if you don't mind reading about the same characters with different names). As for The Redemption of Althalus, well, sadly I would have to agree with many others and say 'Don't go there'!

I basically agree with what was said above, except that the Elenium characters are rehashes of the Belgariad. Sparhawk is far less innocent and prone to not knowing what's going on then Belgarion. The same goes for Ehlana and Ce'nedra, they are both queens, but to me Ce'nedra is far more whimsical and easily pissed off (excuse the language...). I could go on like that for a while...

And lastly I'd like to add that I enjoyed the Elenium and Tamuli more than the Belgariad and Malloreon. :)

Sirathiel said:
I basically agree with what was said above, except that the Elenium characters are rehashes of the Belgariad. Sparhawk is far less innocent and prone to not knowing what's going on then Belgarion. The same goes for Ehlana and Ce'nedra, they are both queens, but to me Ce'nedra is far more whimsical and easily pissed off (excuse the language...). I could go on like that for a while...

And lastly I'd like to add that I enjoyed the Elenium and Tamuli more than the Belgariad and Malloreon. :)
I agree, in that I loved the more grown up stances of the Elenium and Tamuli. I felt that the characters were different, or at least in different positions. IE the experienced warrior was the hero, instead of the little boy.

I have to say that I felt Althulus and Renata to simply be condensed versions of the other series. I however have seen favorable reviews of the Elder Gods, and am keeping hope alive.

i disagree with you thinking that the Rendemption Of Althalus is a horrid storry it is my favorite of the david eddings books althlough i do admit he did gloss over a few points of the whole translocting door thingey but still it is a brilliant book and worth or a fair comondation

Althalus1989 said:
i disagree with you thinking that the Rendemption Of Althalus is a horrid storry it is my favorite of the david eddings books althlough i do admit he did gloss over a few points of the whole translocting door thingey but still it is a brilliant book and worth or a fair comondation
I don't think Althalus is a horrid story, however, while well written, the storyline is similar to the other books, although condensed. i like to see authors branch out and change tactics. not keep writing the same book over and over again. i could even name the characters right back to the same in the belgarid series. i love eddings, but was very disapointed, not with the style, but with the actual story content.

Princess Ivy said:
I don't think Althalus is a horrid story, however, while well written, the storyline is similar to the other books, although condensed. i like to see authors branch out and change tactics. not keep writing the same book over and over again. i could even name the characters right back to the same in the belgarid series. i love eddings, but was very disapointed, not with the style, but with the actual story content.
Although i may be contradicting or what ever you want to call it, i do agree with that and i also like to see authors branch out and broaden their horizins. and most of the characters in Redemption of Althalus have similarity’s to those in the Belgariad and the Malloreon series eg. Gher/Eroind Althalus/Silk ect. ect. well acculy i Cann't think of any more carector names in Redemption of Althalus :rolleyes:

Can any one sugest any more Fantasy authors to me because i have this habit or picking an author then plowing through all of their work catching up on my sleep then proceding to my next author leaving a trail or destruction at my local libary :D

PS: Thanks for the Hullo I, Brian

Raymond E Feist's "Magician" might be a good place to start if you can hold from buying up his entire works - might be a tad expensive. :)

Alternatively, George R R Martin's "A Game of Thrones" is an interesting mix of mediaeval and fantasy, and that is only a trilogy for the moment. :)

I said:
Raymond E Feist's "Magician" might be a good place to start...
Alternatively, George R R Martin's "A Game of Thrones" ...

Two of the best Brian - Can you suggest anything for someone who's read these but is looking for something just as good...

Fantasy may not be your speciality, but your taste is right up my alley if Feist & Martin are anything to go by, so Gemmell it is. I have one sitting on my shelf called Dark Prince. Is this a good place to start?

I'm afraid I haven't read that one - simply "Legend" - which is really Gemmell's key work. The novel is focussed around one big siege, set within a castle/fort with no less than seven outer walls that are forced down one by one. Gemmell said he was inspired to write the work after a cancer scare, with the seven walls symbolising the seven stages of psychological grief - despair, rage, denial, acceptance, etc. A decent read.

It was so successful that it spawned a following series, which I'm told is effectively just a repeat of the theme in Legend from different angles.