Posters

archiver

Sean3w

Hey Padders, I had this crazy idea this morning, 1:45 AM to be exact, that you and I could start our own Stargate poster business. I know we'd make lots of money. Especially in America.

MythingLink

I don't want to rain on your parade Sean, but I'm pretty sure you'd need a license to do that and those can be quite costly even granting that they would sell you one.
Cheers,

Sean3w

No you didn't rain on it. YOU SMOTHERED IT. DROWNED IT. KILLED IT. CRUSHED THE LIVINGNESS OUT OF IT. oh well.

MythingLink

Sorry. Honestly having known people who have tried with another venue to merchandise products, it can be incredibly difficult to do. Most won't sell you a license unless you can prove to them that you'll make them some money (lots of money) in the deal. Your best bet would be to contact MGM and see what, if any, plans they have for continuing with their merchandising of the show. What they offer so far is really kind of lame and not much of what was suggested to them to produce when they first asked for suggestions.
Cheers,

padders

It is a nice idea, there does seem to be a distinct lack of merchandise compared to lots of other popular tv shows - strange really, i thought that was where they made quite a lot of their money. Not sure what we can do about it thought if anything?

carter

if you do go throught with this SELL SOME UP HERE !!!!!!!!!!! CANADA NEEDS SG-1 SUFF!!! sorry (bows head down in shame)

padders

Hehe i don't want to infringe any more trademarks. Just got a letter from a lovely lawyer:
Dear Sir

RE: talkstatrwars

We are writing to you in connection with the above domain name. We note that
the domain name was registered by you on 21 July, 2000

We act for Lucasfilm Ltd. Lucasfilm Ltd and its addiliated entities
(collectively Lucasfilm") are the exclusive owners of all rights to the STAR
WARS motion pictures. Those motion pictures and the characters whic appear
therei are protected by the copyright and trade mark laws of the United
States and other countries including, without limitation, the United
Kingdom.

Clearly, Lucasfilm is very concerned about the talkstarwars.com domain name
as the essential feature of the domain name is their well know STAR WARS
trade mark. Clearly, any use of this domain name would infringe the STAR
WARS trade mark and amount to passing off at commonlaw. Further, the mere
fact that you have registered this domain name is unlawful. We have been
unable to find anyt active site.

Accordingly, Lucasfilm requires the talkstarwars.com domain name together
with anyother domain names registered by you which incorporate any STAR WARS
names, trade mark or other intellectual property are transferred to
Lucasfilm Ltd.

We look forward to receiving a response within 14 days and reserve all our
client's rights in relation to this matter.

Marks and Clerk.

SGPflughaupt

Well there was no site there at all when they emailed me so probably thought i got the domain for speculating.
To be honest it is probably a standard letter they send to everyone who register a domain with starwars in it. (although it did have reference to me being in the UK in it) There are other sites with the domain name starwars in it (starwarschicks.com) i think was one.

Not that important anyway if i have to give it back, i am planning on setting it up slightly differently with an umbrella talkscifimovies.com to cover it. Coming eventually... see the talkstargate.com forum about the new software.

padders

Well there was no site there at all when they emailed me so probably thought i got the domain for speculating.
To be honest it is probably a standard letter they send to everyone who register a domain with starwars in it. (although it did have reference to me being in the UK in it) There are other sites with the domain name starwars in it (starwarschicks.com) i think was one.

Not that important anyway if i have to give it back, i am planning on setting it up slightly differently with an umbrella talkscifimovies.com to cover it. Coming eventually... see the talkstargate.com forum about the new software.

Sean3w

NEW SOFTWARE? YOu know what, you should add games and stuff. Something for us to do when we have nothing else to post to.

Sean3w

You knwo Padders, if you would stick with more, I could get you a whole lot of stuff

padders

You knwo Padders, if you would stick with more, I could get you a whole lot of stuff
not sure what you are talking about.

Games, yeah sounds fun but in the quewe of stuff. Sooooo much to do

MythingLink

I also heard Lucas Films is really quite proprietary. I heard it's one of the reasons they started offering to host Star Wars web sites for free.
Wonder if the government is paying Lucas Films royalties for using the name Star Wars?
:grin:

Cheers,

carter

your right they are gready i mean they won't even let you use a name yyeeesssshhhhh what are they gonna do next?

padders

Well i sent an email back to the lawyers and they have not returned it yet.
If they do, will try and use the whole incident for a bit of publicity for the site. hehe