Bookshops Events

Neal Asher

England http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher http
I think this is relevant to this thread...

For anyone who is in the area, there’s to be a bit of a do at Heffers Bookshop in the Grafton Centre, Cambridge, on 2nd November starting at 6.30pm. Numerous writers, including me, will be there to sign books and generally wander around and chat. Here’s the attendance list thus far:

Neal Asher
Steve Cockayne
Mike Carey
Erin Hunter
Eoin McNamee
Matthew Skelton
Mark Robson
SF Said
Amanda Hemingway
Philip Reeve
John George
Paul Kearney
Sam Enthoven
Heulwen Jones
James Barclay
Justina Robson
Stan Nicholls
John Courtney Grimwood
Mark Chadbourne
Chaz Brenchley
Juliet McKenna

Re: Heffers Bookshop, Cambridge

Excellent! I'll get to meet Philip Reeve! I've been wanting to meet him for a few years now.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea who else was going. :)

Excellent! I'm quite close to Cambridge. I might finally get to meet you Mark.:D

Paradox 99 said:
Excellent! I'm quite close to Cambridge. I might finally get to meet you Mark.:D

LOL! I still find it strange that people want to meet me. I shall look forward to the event all the more knowing that I'll have at least one person there who's not just looking to chat to the bigger names. :)

Mark Robson said:
LOL! I still find it strange that people want to meet me. I shall look forward to the event all the more knowing that I'll have at least one person there who's not just looking to chat to the bigger names. :)
Pah! They're all small fry compared to you Mark.;)

Paradox 99 said:
Pah! They're all small fry compared to you Mark.;)

Flattery will get you everywhere, Paradox. :D Seriously, though, it should be an interesting evening. There are certainly a few people there that I very much look up to. I will be pleased to have an opportunity to put a few faces to the names of authors whose books I have enjoyed.

I confess that I've not read your work yet, Neal, but I look forward to meeting you as well.

Neal Asher said:
I'll be the one with the red wine mustache and a tendency to grin a lot and walk into book shelves ... hang on ... that probably covers most authors.

Ah Mark, here's your opportunity to buy a signed copy...

Neal, I'll be delighted to have you sign a book for me. I'll be sure to dust the moths from my wallet. :D

Normally, I might be your evil twin brother, (oh for a smiley with devil horns!) but I'll not be drinking that night. Sadly I'll be driving home straight after the event. I want to spend a little time with my family before I start touring the following day.

Re: Do you go to conventions ?

I went to the equivalent event at Heffers last year, it was a good opportunity to get some signed books from Peter F Hamilton, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Susannah Clarke etc. Looks like there are even more authors there this year so I might go along, although I've only read Grimwood out of them.

OK, I’ll be doing another signing at 6pm Thursday 9th of August at Waterstones in Lakeside Thurrock, so if you’re in the area, come and buy some books, say hello, get books you’ve already bought signed! See you there.

TheGreyArea.

I’ve been a bit wary of including some people in my ‘friends’ list on myspace. There seems to be a lot of bands on myspace and, really, I’m not going to include people just to up the number of my friends in this weird cyberspace popularity contest. Really, to get included on my list a person needs to at least show some interest in SFF, writing or even better, have my name down in their books section. When this guy contacted me I thought, especially upon seeing a complete lack of a book section on his page, ah, another band-on-the-make, but he soon disabused me of that notion by directing me to his ‘Influences’. Miguel Vella TheGreyArea. He, his daughter and his wife Wendy then turned up at my Forbidden Planet signing where they got one of the staff to take this picture (I’m the ugly one on the left ... and see that big stack of books to the left of me?). Both of them are fans, and on this occasion he sprang this as a surprise on her, since she didn't even know why he’d taken her into the store.
Cheers guys – nice to see you!

I'll be attending this year's event at Heffers though, Mary, so I look forward to seeing you there. :)

I seem to remember you saying, Neal, that you weren't going to be able to make it this year, which is a shame. Nice picture, by the way. Sorry I wasn't able to get to the Heffers signing in the end... next time.

Forbidden Planet in Shaftsbury Avenue London has numerous signed copies of my books, and now Waterstones in Lakeside Thurrock has plenty too. In the latter you'll find signed copies of Hilldiggers along with signed paperback copies of all my others from Macmillan. Many thanks to the staff of both shops for putting up with me!