Scifi past/Fantasy present

Crymic

Magic Crazed Elf
I know it's been done before but I kinda like the idea where the world say had major techonology and that caused their down fall. All living things on the planet where almost destroyed.

As the remainder people try to rebuild the use of electricity would make power an issue.

Would people give up on techology and go back to the basics?

Say they were able to get electricy back but never in the way it is today. but only the major cities had enough for lights.

I've been tring to find a proper balance between the two to still allow some techology.

I've been toying with the idea elves are really aliens who came to this planet long ago after it's problem. The use of their magic caused dragons and other twisted monsters to appear.

I've seen stuff like about the end of the world but it mostly is just about people going crazy and killing eachother for survival.

Any thoughts?

I don't know where I heard this from, but this was based on a downfall and only bits of technology was left. I don't know if it would be relevent for you. But it was just based around the idea of how people with expertise as (oh, I've suddenly realised! I think it's from Stephen King's The Stand. But don't quote me on that) electricians and the like would suddenly be worth their weight in gold. And people would seperate themselves into groups according to abilities. There would be those who had electricial knowledge who would live soundly, and those who didn't who would live rough. And eventually mini wars would break out, and the living-it-rough people would try to grab as many technicians as they could.
Oh course, just a handful of technicians still left alive would not be able to repower the world, and thus there would only be the basics, like, as you say, enough to power the city lights or something.
Anyway, just a thought. Thank Stephen King, not me (I THINK that's where it's from anyway!
Craziness and murder is always a good read! (ignore me, I'm a ghoul at heart)

Well, this is a difficult area to have new ideas in, frankly, as it was something of a staple for several decades in fantasy (or, more accurately, science fantasy), from Anderson's The Broken Sword, which provided a rationale for why the creatures of faerie couldn't touch iron, to things like Norton's Witch World, where we were colonists who came through a gateway, just as the initial antagonists in the series were. Not that something fresh can't be done ... just that it's much more difficult.

As for the world collapsing and then the remainder going back to the basics ... again, it can be done but it's difficult. The reality of the situation is that the modern world is so interdependent that such a collapse would almost certainly result in more than 9/10 of the world's population dying or turning to cannibalism to survive; the revival of plagues and such that have long since receded into the background, the inability of industrialized nations to cope with the sudden change and the collapse of everything we know. The likelihood of any technology surviving this beyond the most primitive techniques used for warfare, is very slim, once the initial reaction has taken place, as we would be likely to use up our resources of such things in panic-driven warfare to try to maintain a power-base over each other. It's not a pretty picture... Eventually, an equilibrium would probably be reestablished, but it would almost certainly be after many, many millennia that would make the Dark Ages look like a walk through the park.

So, if you want to toy with these ideas for a story, keep in mind what the actual effects of such a collapse (or of such a revelation) would be. That can simply be an historical background, once the world has regained stability of a sort, or you can have stories that take place within the interregnum, depending ... or both. It's also quite dangerous mixing modern technology with magic, as the two tend to conflict in rationale, and become confusing if handled with any degree of realism ... think of plopping a modern, technologically-oriented person down in, say, ancient Babylon, or vice versa. The worldviews would simply not mesh, and one side or the other would almost certainly end up quite dead. So any major impact of magic on a post-Industrial Revolution style world is likely to make the story collapse under its own weight of illogicality. That sort of thing takes enormous effort to think out all the details; it's much better to have one or the other unless you're either enormously skilled and patient, or have plenty of experience in world-building under your belt.

That said, play around with it, see what you come up with... and if it seems workable, give it a go. The above cautions are given not to discourage one from trying, but to help avoid pitfalls that can wreck what might otherwise be a very good story. After all, Mieville has been breaking these rules right and left for a while now, and producing some very good work....