Greetings and Salutations from East Tennessee

Welcome, Laura, to our humble abode.

I hope you enjoy your stay here.

xx

Hi, Laura! I remember meeting you at the San Jose WorldCon (Teresa introduced us); you had cool earrings with your book covers on them. I'm glad you've joined Chronicles!

If you and Teresa start talking about McKillip, I'll chime in, too.

You never know, I might even re-read the Riddlemaster of Hed - the trilogy is still sat on my shelves. I've not read it in about 20 years, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to do a refresher read through.

Welcome to Chronicles, Laura. Nice to see another author here. We're gradually gathering a small throng of published authors. I hope to encourage a couple more in later in the year. I look forward to seeing you around the boards - I see you've already found your way to the aspiring writers' section. :)

Hello, welcome. Don't eat the peanuts here.

No, really you'll have a great time here. I'll sure you'll enjoy the friendly people and learn to accept the others (like myself;) ). Yes, even after various attempts (I think not) wicked humour is not forbidden on this site.
oil the chainsaws, swing your morningstars, sharpen your swords and tongues.
Note do not use the same device to sharpen both your tongue and sword, "bewief mm II no wamma spie laaik dis". Enjoy the boards.

Do you want a peanut?

Teresa Edgerton said:
I didn't know about the promotion -- congratulations! And doing children's programming sounds like it would be fun. When I worked in a library, in a far more humble capacity, I used to find excuses to shelve books in the children's section.

I'm glad you're reading McKillip; she's a particular favorite of mine. Unfortunately, there's never much discussion of her work around here. Maybe you and I could get some sparkling dialogue going in a McKillip thread.

(And we have an edit function on these forums -- which doesn't last forever, but can still be useful -- and other features, so that you don't have to make a whole string of posts like you did above. Actually, we have a lot more bells and whistles here than at any of the forums we used to frequent together. The vBulletin software is fabulous and gives you a lot of options.)

Promotion came because they actually eliminated my old position (New director has some strange ideas about service, but we won't go there), but now I am working less hours and making more money. Go figure. ;-)

Still learning my way around the system here. It's sorta like what they used at AbsoluteWrite.

I'd love to start a thread about McKillip

Laura J. Underwood
Author of DRAGON'S TONGUE

scalem X said:
Hello, welcome. Don't eat the peanuts here.

No, really you'll have a great time here. I'll sure you'll enjoy the friendly people and learn to accept the others (like myself;) ). Yes, even after various attempts (I think not) wicked humour is not forbidden on this site.
oil the chainsaws, swing your morningstars, sharpen your swords and tongues.
Note do not use the same device to sharpen both your tongue and sword, "bewief mm II no wamma spie laaik dis". Enjoy the boards.

Do you want a peanut?

LOL!

Laura J. Underwood

Brown Rat said:
Hi, Laura! I remember meeting you at the San Jose WorldCon (Teresa introduced us); you had cool earrings with your book covers on them. I'm glad you've joined Chronicles!

If you and Teresa start talking about McKillip, I'll chime in, too.

Hey!

Ah, Yes, the earrings. I have advanced the manufacture method and now tiny books with pages you can turn...

Lee Killough actually did something cool with her book covers and used sculpty to make the books and just inserted laminated tiny covers. That way, she was able to create post earrings.

Me, I can't wear the posts. The way my ears lay back, the posts cut my neck.

Laura J. Underwood

LauraJUnderwood said:
Hey!

Ah, Yes, the earrings. I have advanced the manufacture method and now tiny books with pages you can turn...

Now that interests me. Is there writing on the tiny little pages? (I'm imagining miniscule secret messages that you have to use a strong magnifying glass to read.)

For anyone who is curious, I did a review of Laura's book a while back. I think it's still on the first page in the Reviews forum. Also, since I can post a link, here's how you reach her homepage:
http://www.sff.net/people/keltora/

As for Patricia McKillip, I dug up this old thread, which didn't get very far, but maybe we can give it new life:
http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/7512-patricia-mckillip.html

Last edited:
LauraJUnderwood said:
And in true librarian fashion, "Does that answer your question?" :)
Thank you for your detailed response.

If you like Mr. Poe you may want to check out HP Lovecraft (if you've not already) or Thomas Ligotti for great horror literature.

Mckillip I'm discovering thanks largely to Teresa and I really like her writing. Right up there with LeGuin IMHO.

See you on the boards...

Teresa Edgerton said:
Now that interests me. Is there writing on the tiny little pages? (I'm imagining miniscule secret messages that you have to use a strong magnifying glass to read.)

I have one copy of ARD MAGISTER that has half the first chapter in it.

There is actually a 6 point type that works just fine.

Magnifyer is almost necessary, however. :)

Laura J. Underwood

LauraJUnderwood said:
Oh, and when I am not writing or working in the library, I am generally playing with beads, drawing, reading and fencing as a member of the SFWA Musketeers.

Fencing?? Wow! That's so cool. Welcome, I'm new too. Ooh it's so good to see a published author at these forums.

xx

KS

About the tiny books.

I remember having a small French-dutch dictionary. Should be handy for Exams:p, have never used it though. But I don't know where it is (read: it's lost forever; translate as: my sister has got it somewhere).

I love fencing. What kind of fences do you use?
Ah oh that kind of fencing.:p

I'm sure she'll be happy to get out a trowel and mortar and build a brick wall just to oblige you, scalem. Or stucco. Stucco is always good.

How about some pictures of you and the musketeers, Laura? As I recall, you're a fine, swashbuckling company.

Hello Laura & welcome to the forums! :)

You've got me really curious as to what the J stands for?
I had a quick browse of your website (that's some harp!) and I can see I'll have to add you to the list of books I have to buy! :D

I would imagine it would be a form of cruel and unusual punishment to put an author in charge of a library, talk about conflicting interests! Still, it's a nice way to promote your favourite authors & I bet your library has a sci-fu & fantasy section the envy of the state! ;)

Welcome!

Fancy that. I've just issued a welcome to an author that happens to be on my 'to read' but whom I have no more information than was in their original post. I've no idea how the book got on my list - but generally I get them from recommendations of other members here, from one other genre website and whatever I happen to come accross (ex: not too long ago I read an online article in one of the many newspaper websites discussing the recent rise in popularity of all things Templar...it mentioned some books and they're on my list too.). So, it is very good news that you are here! Not just because we all love to have actual authors to around to pester (and trust me, we are very good at the art of the pester), but as soon as I read your book (Dragon's Tongue), I'll have something specific to pester you about!

Have a great day!

scalem X said:
About the tiny books.

I remember having a small French-dutch dictionary. Should be handy for Exams:p, have never used it though. But I don't know where it is (read: it's lost forever; translate as: my sister has got it somewhere).

I love fencing. What kind of fences do you use?
Ah oh that kind of fencing.:p

When I first took up the sport, I was learning it through an evening class. My then boss looked at me (knowing that I liked mystery novels and had aspirations to write one) and said, "They teach courses in THAT?"

"Swords," I said.

He got this "the light dawns" look. Then he turned red. Then he walked away.

Yeah, I have heard all the jokes. ;)

Those and "Conan the Librarian" ones too.

Laura J. Underwood

And to answer the question about fencing, I took up the sport in 1978. I am the former Tennessee Women's foil champion (held the title four of the last five years I competed--lost one year to one of my own students in a fierce point for point match--she did me Very Proud that day), I was one of the first women in the US to take up sabre (and managed to gain a seating in the Southeast Section). I was coach for a time, then had to retire when life got too busy in the early 90s.

Met Elizabeth Moon in early 2000 and we became fast friends. She loved fencing too, and she had formed a group called the SFWA Musketeers for members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. I "premiered" at WorldCon Chicago that year, dressed out in Musketeer regalia.

I decided I liked it so well that I have been fencing as a SFWA Musketeer ever since.

There are pictures on the web. Google Tom Hise or Sharon Lee and you can see shots of some of the performances. Or you can go to SFWA's website (http://www.sfwa.org) and look for SFWA Musketeers and follow the links to the pictures from there.

This is my favorite: http://tom.hise.org/Chicon/Mvc-562.jpg

It's all for fun. And Fun for All.

Sorry, Punster escaped...

Laura J. Underwood

dwndrgn said:
Welcome!

Fancy that. I've just issued a welcome to an author that happens to be on my 'to read' but whom I have no more information than was in their original post. I've no idea how the book got on my list - but generally I get them from recommendations of other members here, from one other genre website and whatever I happen to come accross (ex: not too long ago I read an online article in one of the many newspaper websites discussing the recent rise in popularity of all things Templar...it mentioned some books and they're on my list too.). So, it is very good news that you are here! Not just because we all love to have actual authors to around to pester (and trust me, we are very good at the art of the pester), but as soon as I read your book (Dragon's Tongue), I'll have something specific to pester you about!

Have a great day!

I hope you enjoy it.

Laura J. Underwood