Hugh Jackman as Roland?

Hugh Jackman as Roland?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could see Hugh as Roland, but then i'm a fan of his, so i'm a bit bias, he could arguably be too young though.
Johnny Depp is one of my acting idols, and I admire him greatly, but I don't think i'd like to see him as Roland. He has the talent definetly, but I think his image doesn't suit Roland, and i'd be seeing characters like Jack Sparrow in his face all the time :D

I agree that Nathan Fillion is an amazing actor(Firefly and Serenity!). Not sure if I could see him as Roland though, maybe if he grew some stubble and had all the gear on. Interesting thought though!

He's already got the quickdraw down. In the Serenity film I had the first glimpse of what a gunslinger on Roland's level of quickdrawing would be like. He never drew down like that on the Firefly series. I think that was a development for the movie definately.

I wouldn't want that pretty boy from Lost playing Eddie...he's too clean and, well, looks like he'd be more at home in a boy band! I think the suggestion of Edward Norton is quite apt; he was especially good in Fight Club. Eddie is dark and troubled, he has his drug problem which is the first major hurdle he has to get over and throughout he is the voice of doubt, although of course ultimately he too is drawn by that damned Tower. And you'd need someone who could really show his fierce love/deep hate for Roland. There's the danger that he'd just become the wise-cracking sidekick type and there's so much more to Eddie (as with all of King's characters). You really need some brilliant actors if The Dark Tower were ever made into a film to really to give these characters justice. It's not just looking the part, it's playing the part as well; indeed, I think that's more important.

Eddie is already in a movie. Did anyone see the fellow playing Larry Underwood in The Stand? Just rewatch and look when he's leaving New York with a gun on his hip and the guitar on his back. Sans guitar he is a complete look alike for mine and my wife's version of Eddie.

dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but there IS a DT movie in the "works".

they're debating about film or tv, but I'd vote TV myself those are always better than the movies. It's in Developement Hell, but it is a project.

good point, Eastwood's actually old enough to play him now.

remember, Roland's ANCIENT.

dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but there IS a DT movie in the "works".

they're debating about film or tv, but I'd vote TV myself those are always better than the movies. It's in Developement Hell, but it is a project.

Really? Score!! (Hopefully -- cinema has had a history of destroying King books and Dark Tower would be the one I really, really wouldn't want them to get wrong)

I'd say it deserves the large scale of a film shown in the cinema (imagine watching it on a huge cinema screen!) but it would have to be horribly mutilated and cut down in order to fit in the whole story -- unless they make seven films! But length-wise, and being able to fit in all the little but very important nuances, tv would be better. And then maybe show it at the cinema :D

Really? Score!! (Hopefully -- cinema has had a history of destroying King books and Dark Tower would be the one I really, really wouldn't want them to get wrong)

I'd say it deserves the large scale of a film shown in the cinema (imagine watching it on a huge cinema screen!) but it would have to be horribly mutilated and cut down in order to fit in the whole story -- unless they make seven films! But length-wise, and being able to fit in all the little but very important nuances, tv would be better. And then maybe show it at the cinema :D

I think they'll start off with Roland catching the man in black and carry through the entire Drawing of the Three with the first film. Film #2 would be the Wastelands. They'd skip Wizard and Glass and go to Wolves of the Calla. Film #4 would be Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower.

If we ever see a DT film , it will be mutilated almost beyond recognition - NO WAY are we going to see a series of 7 films - at best we might get a 6 hour made for tv adaptation of the whole lot. Imho a.lot of the books were really quite drawn out , and were a vehicle used by King to resurrect characters he had dispensed with in previous novels - I half expected the group to end up spending a night in the Overllok hotel , or encountering a mad dog (then again we do see a rabid bear in the woods - perhaps a substitute for Cujo?). I guess that most of this would go staright over most viewer's heads

I think perhaps the book most workable as a film - and in my opinion by FAR the most enjoyable of the series - is The Drawing Of The Three . Maybe they should start with that one and see how they go?

As far as characters go , I always pictured Roland as a Clint Eastwood lookalike - as it appears did many others. Also my version of Susannah looked like Whoopi Goldberg.

Choosing the correct Roland would be the most important choice , as he will be the one that viewers wll be required to feel an affinity for. Josh Holloway aka Sawyer from Lost might be a suitable choice. Firstly he's fairly well known , secondly he's a 'likeable' person.

The fact that he is younger than the character described by King is unimportant - let's face it , Roland is old to the point of almost being ageless. A weather-beaten face (easily produced by any make-up artist) and , more importantly , distinctive eyes , are all that are required to distinguish the gun-slinger

An older alternative would be Kevin Costner , in my opinion a great actor , and one who ticks all the right boxes for The Gunslinger

Cujo is mentioned in book 7. Roland thinks to himself that the word means "dear heart" or "sweet one" I can't rmemeber which.

Yeah, Whoopi for Sus 10 years ago. Now? Today? Queen Latifa, cause she's hot in that ass kickery way.

I can't see Roland being cast as any currently known actor. Like Superman Returns, he'd have to be a relative nobody.

But I absolutely cannot agree to Costner as Roland. Sorry, can't be. :p.

What about Christian Bale? In 3:10 to Yuma he played a western-style character. Pretty believable. He played possibly the best Batman I've seen and somewhat revived the franchise. He was great in Equilibrium even though the movie was somewhat low-grade. American Psycho? The Machinist? It seems that in each movie he does, he sets out to do whatever it takes to help that character come to life. And what about Eddie? Who would you like to see play him? Robert Downey Jr perhaps? Throw some names out there...

Whoever played Larry Underwood in The Stand needs to play Eddie. Go back and watch the scene where he's leaving New York. He's standing on the highway with a gunbelt slung low looking like Eddie walking right out of a Dark Tower novel.

First Post! Hugh not a good choice, maybe for the Tick Tok Man. The only choice that is perfectly clear. Roland-DANIAL DAY LEWIS Jake is a tough call Detta\Suz\Odetta- Vivica A. Fox Eddie-Adam Storke (nod to Marvolo) Father Callahan-Lance Hendrickson

One thing in favour of Daniel Day-Lewis: his incredibly intense and dedicated attitude when taking on a role is to be much applauded and he would certainly try his best to portray Roland. Saying such, he probably would be a much better choice; even if I can't quite see him as Roland right now (probably because I've still got his fantastic performance from There Will be Blood in my head) having him do a fine job in acting would be better than having someone who just seems more suited to the role in appearance etc. Roland is, I'm sure, the character that all Dark Tower lovers would want to see perfectly portrayed on the big screen.