Hunters Of Dune

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
The preludes to Dune (I thought) were fairly so so. Enjoyable and readable enough, but lacking that edge that Frank managed to instill in his work.

Still, I have high hopes for this one. Hunters carries the story forward from Chapterhouse and (finally) we might learn the nature of the force chasing the Honoured Matres back from the Scattering. Based on notes left by Frank, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson pick up the baton once more.

Judge for yourself here (Chapter 1 online)

http://www.dunenovels.com/dune7blog/page43.html

Should I have placed this post in the 'Classic' section?
Only time will tell.:)

Right now I'm reading this book, and is really good. I specially like that I'm learning more of the Honore Matres and their conflict with the Bene Gesserits. Also all the thing in the no-ship is very interesting.

Just read it - and I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On the one hand, Brian and Kevin managed to bring the series back to life. I kind of felt that Chapterhouse had too much philosophy and too little intrigue, but with Hunters, this is cured. I also enjoyed some of the genuine creepiness brought into the series.

On to the bad: I certainly did not like the ending, and I'm left wondering whether Brian and Kevin just veered the series off in a direction entirely unintended by Frank Herbert. I also did not like how many characters were turned into cardboard cutouts of their previous selves (I'm thinking specifically of the Rabbi, a number of certain gholas who are brought back, and the Honored Matre in general).

So, anyways, I kind of read this as though it were fan fiction, albeit really well-written fan fiction. For those of you Frank Herbert purists out there - I'd suggest you do the same.

Just read it - and I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On the one hand, Brian and Kevin managed to bring the series back to life. I kind of felt that Chapterhouse had too much philosophy and too little intrigue, but with Hunters, this is cured. I also enjoyed some of the genuine creepiness brought into the series.

So would you suggest this book to a person, who loved the original series (except the fourth book) but loathed the prequel trilogy (House of ...) ?

If you loathed the prequels, I don't think you'll enjoy this book that much. It pretty much feels the same as that series.

BUT, I think it is a worthwhile read for Dune fans, simply because it claims to follow the outline put down by Frank Herbert. So, even if you think the style sucks, at least you can get an idea of where Frank Herbert was going. I remember finishing Chapterhouse and asking, "Wtf? That's it? Noooo, damn you, more!" Hunters scratches that itch at least partially.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and really love how the end ties up all the books into a coherent connected story.

However, it brings back the one character of Herbert's tale that I despise most.

I have really gotten into the prequels and the sequels to Frank's books. I know that the style is a lot less philosophical and a lot less detailed than Frank's books, but certainly have been captivated by the pre-and post-developments to Dune-to-Chapterhouse.

I am reading this at the moment - I didnt know it existed but saw this tread on the forum and got it.

It follows Chapter House, so far the chapters have been

3 years after Chapter House
4 years after Chapter House

Not bad so far and it seems to fit in quite nicely with the previous stuff. Although the quality of writing is certainly below the originals.

Perssonicus: Let's see now, it must be one of the new gholas - maybe Halleck?

Ive just finished reading it, and while I agree that it doesnt come close to the originals, it is a very good read, i especially liked the focus on the honoured matres and the conflict between them and the bene gesserit is what kept me reading.
on the other hand, i do dislike the way so many famous characters are brought bakc as gholas, maybe that was FH's intent, but because hes not the first hand author, it makes you feel that kevin and brian and searching for leads and are resorting to bringing old characters back in.
btw I also dislike the fact that the unseen enemy is omnius.....*sigh* an anti climax or what!

soz if u havent read it yet, just gave it away.

Back