'Jaime Lannister sends his regards'...*stab*

Centurion

The last Roman
So who was that with the pink cape who finished off Robb?
I'm sure i've come across that pink cape before in the book, but i
can't put my finger on who's it is!

Wasnt it merely one of Boltons men...the POV was from Catelyns point of view if I recall correctly and Im sure she would have recognized Roose yes? Im about 6514 miles from my books so if someone could confirm or deny Id appreciate it....

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed by George in one of his conversations with fans at various signings & visits.
Catelyn was fairly deranged at the time so I'm not sure she's a particularly reliable witness.

The only other 'named Bolton' is Ramsay and he was in the North taking over Winterfell, so no other character could wear Bolton's colours apart from Roose himself. It wasn't a small sigil on a breast, this was the fully regalia so I'm 99.9% sure it was Roose. It would also have been a good way to:
a) ensure that Robb ("The King in the North") was dead and not merely held prisoner by Lord Frey as a bargaining chip - which, to be honest, would have been more to his advantage.
b) show his loyalty to Twyin & the Lannisters by actively participating in the Red Wedding.

It really makes no nevermind either way...Oh well I wouldnt have thought Roose would have participated in that bedding ritual otherwise he'd have been down on the floor...

I guess its noticable that he says Jaime and not Tywin...and after all Roose had that nuanced conversation with Jaime and Brienne....and not Tywin.

Yes, Jaime Lannister outright says to Roose Bolton, "Send Robb Stark my regards," which Roose then passes onto Robb: "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." Straightforward. There's some fudge room for it to be someone else, but I'm 90% sure it's Roose.

ladylioness said:
that could've been the case.

just for the record i hate all the freys and any one who was present at the wedding and helped the freys...
I don't think you're alone on that one. Karma is a bitch...

Just to make this clear....so Roose steps out to put on some armor...waits til the bolts start a flying...then runs up the steps, through dying Stark loyalists and a hail of crossbow bolts and stabs Robb Stark....

There was a few seconds in there where the action was calm (and he could have moved then) but I gotta assume his attention would have been drawn to the center stage so to speak...kinda dramatic...

So while Ill accept Roose did the stabbing....I think Martin has one of them continuity holes again....Im okay with that.

Im sure everyone will tell me its possible the ever crafty Roose Bolton ran up the stairs in the midst of a melee... I just dont think its likely.

The way I pictured the scene was the Stark loyalists (bar the one's carrying Edmund & his bride up the stairs) sitting in a Great Hall at tables. Robb may have been on a raised dias with Lord Frey.

Above the Great Hall is a gallery or various balconies from which the musicans were playing. The crossbow men appeared from there and launched their bolts at the (literally) "sitting ducks". Those who evaded the inital storm of bolts were stabbed by their Frey 'partners' sitting next to them or by soldiers who burst in at the ground floor entrace. Roose comes out either through the main entrance or, more likely, from a more private one near the back of the hall during the 'calm' period where Catelyn is begging for Robb's life. By now all the shooting & killing is ended. He then calmly walks up to Robb and stabs him.
I don't see any loophole, frankly. He left in plenty of time to change, especially if his followers were already outside waiting with his gear.

I really could have sworn that the bedding ceremony was underway and they (to include Robb) were conducting the party up the stairs....or maybe Im mistaken, it happens...quite a lot Im afraid. And unlike some forum posters (take that nameless forum poster who shall remain nameless) I admit it readily enough.

Thats how Catelyn was relatively alone on the ground floor with Grandmaster Frey....all the fighting was taking place on the wide open stairs.

Someone want to look this up?

Here is the line:

" A man in dark armor and a pale pink cloak spotted with blood stepped up to Robb. " Jaime Lannister sends his regards. " He thrust his longsword through her son's heart, and twisted."

Catelyn was watching...so it seems more likely to be one of Roose's men. Otherwise it would have read "Roose Bolton in dark armor...."

Roose had been sitting next to Catelyn but had excused himself for the privy earlier.

The fighting was everywhere, the bedding ceremony was going on, but there were still plenty of individuals left. Catelyn, Robb, Smalljon, Dacey Mormont, Lord Walder, Ser Wendel Manderly, Edwyn Frey and a host of others were still in the main hall. The crossbow bolts that took Robb and others down were from above the room.

Sorry to contradict but Dacey got an axe in the gut before "Roose" made his move. The Smalljon was grappling with a couple of Frey's, Wendel Manderly was completely bladdered and the Frey's were hardly likely to have helped.

I agree Catelyn would have recognised Roose but she was a bit mental at the time so I don't know how "reliable" a PoV she was at that particular moment.

Maybe Im simple, what are you contradicting?

Edit:
Oh, I see, you are correct. The way I wrote the above is a bit confusing timewise. Shouldnt post early in the morning!
Yes, the stabbing of Robb occured near the end. My point was just to list the group of individuals left in the great hall when the fighting started as opposed to going upstairs. There was a question about that earlier. Sorry for any confusion......

"A man in dark armour..."

In Westeros someone clad in armour usually has their face covered by their helm... ;) And Cat probably wasn't thinking straight and didn't recognise the voice.

Quite possible. The Tower of the Hand site concluded it was Roose also. (Ive been doing some extra-curricular reading on this topic!)

Maybe one day UnCat will run into him and give him her regards?