Help me find the name of this short story

tennisjump

I've lurked on this forum, and you guys are really knowledgable about sci fi, so I'm asking your help on this matter. I just recently moved, and my dad had a bunch of old sci fi books that are out of print that he had given to me to read, probably printed in the 70s. Anyway, I think I lost one book, but I distinctly remember one of the short stories. I'm hoping that maybe you can tell me the title and/or the author.

It was about a warlock who always had things go right for him. He went into an art shop and wanted a new painting from an artist. Unfortunately the artist has gone insane. When the warlock visits the artist it turns out that the artist couldn't deal with adulthood and is acted like a young kid. THe warlock seeks to cure him, and does so by going into the artist's dreams and destroying every utopian scenario the artist had, being the last man and the last women on earth, being the man who through some strange genetic defect knew the secret to defeating mankind's greatest enemy, etc. An important point was that a long 7 or eight digit number was recite ine ach of these scenarios, as the author wrote after the story, that he had writen the story based upon a picture of a man with the number tatooed on him. At the end of the story, the warlock cures the artist, but the drawback to his cure is that the artist looks 20 years older.

Again, all help is appreciated.

tennisjump

Thanks for the reply. do you know of anyone or anyplace where I can find the name of this?