Guy Gavriel Kay

elvet

Easily amused
Supporter
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,011
Location
Ontario, Canada
Is there an order in which to read his books? I've read the Fionavar Tapestry and Last Light of the Sun. From the July thread there is mention that his books are connected - is it by the characters, the places, or the times?
 

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
6,317
elvet said:
Is there an order in which to read his books? I've read the Fionavar Tapestry and Last Light of the Sun. From the July thread there is mention that his books are connected - is it by the characters, the places, or the times?
Excellent! One comment in the July thread and we have a Kay thread! As we have already been given a list of the books in order, and I was the one who said there was a slight connection in the books I'll just say that although there is a connection, it is very slight. There is a throwaway line in Tigana about the first of all worlds (Fionavar) spelt differently - and then there is the same again in A Song For Arbonne. The later books, Lions of Al-Rassan, Sarantine Mosaic and Last Light of The Sun are all set in the same world, making reference to one another - not events though just names and places. It could be that Tigana and Arbonne are the same world as well, but no mention is made of them (That I've noticed) Anyone else?

It's all in keeping with what Kay establishes in his firs series though, almost a multiverse of worlds spreading out from the centre, Fionavar and changing slightly with each one, until you reach ours.
 

Sieben

Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
17
Location
Once owned a greyhound!
Tim James said:
Excellent! One comment in the July thread and we have a Kay thread! As we have already been given a list of the books in order, and I was the one who said there was a slight connection in the books I'll just say that although there is a connection, it is very slight. There is a throwaway line in Tigana about the first of all worlds (Fionavar) spelt differently - and then there is the same again in A Song For Arbonne. The later books, Lions of Al-Rassan, Sarantine Mosaic and Last Light of The Sun are all set in the same world, making reference to one another - not events though just names and places. It could be that Tigana and Arbonne are the same world as well, but no mention is made of them (That I've noticed) Anyone else?

It's all in keeping with what Kay establishes in his firs series though, almost a multiverse of worlds spreading out from the centre, Fionavar and changing slightly with each one, until you reach ours.
Tim,

Your going to deep Tim.

Just read the books, enjoy the brilliant characterisation but try and get out more.
 

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
6,317
Sieben said:
Tim,

Your going to deep Tim.

Just read the books, enjoy the brilliant characterisation but try and get out more.
Outside? What's that? Where all the nasty trees and things are?
 

elvet

Easily amused
Supporter
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,011
Location
Ontario, Canada
Thanks, Tim. That really helped.
It's been a while since I read the Fionavar Tapestry and I've forgotten most of it. I think I may revisit it before getting into Tiganna.
Great link, Gollum :) .
 

ScottSF

ScottSF
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
472
Yay! a new one is on the way called "Ysabel" Early next year looks like.

Oh, there's already an older thread under Kay's name a few pages out. I don't know if these things get consolidated. When I said "thread" I meant a category in the authors section, but perhaps there aren't enough separate threads about his work. I've seen two general ones and one more specific thread about the Sarantine Mosaic. Looks like "General Book discusion" is the place to start.
 

elvet

Easily amused
Supporter
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,011
Location
Ontario, Canada
Yay! a new one is on the way called "Ysabel" Early next year looks like.
It's about a boy in current times meeting up with a character from another world. I love these type of fantasies that juxtapose present day society with other beings (ex. Fionavar Tapestry, Thomas Covenant, The Hickory Staff).
 

ScottSF

ScottSF
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
472
oh. . . I usually don't like that kind of thing. It's the reason why I've read everything of his BUT Fionavar. I have a feeling I will get over it soon and finally read the trilogy. But only because it's Kay ;)
 

sabinerak

Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
14
So I read Tigana years ago and, for whatever reason, I didn't like it. I couldn't say why I didn't like it. Maybe it just didn't speak to me at the time.

And yet, parts of this darn book have just stuck in my mind all this time that I keep thinking I should read it again and see if it's grown on me. I never could bring myself to get rid of the book even through my multitudes of book purgings.
 

GOLLUM

Moderator
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9,035
Location
Australia
ScottSF said:
oh. . . I usually don't like that kind of thing. It's the reason why I've read everything of his BUT Fionavar. I have a feeling I will get over it soon and finally read the trilogy. But only because it's Kay ;)
Make it quick, the best thing Kay has ever written IMO...:D
 

Finnien

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
164
It was my least favorite of his. I've felt his characters have been more original with later books. Sarantine Mosaic was probably my favorite two books, for reasons I can't name, followed by Lions of Al-Rassan. However, I don't think he's written anything that isn't terrific. =)

As for that 'going outside' thing, isn't anyone else terrified of the Big Blue Room? I prefer air conditioning, broadband internet, and delivery pizza. =)
 

ScottSF

ScottSF
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
472
oh yeah, I can't even reach the blue ceiling, and the green fur on the ground is creepy.

Sarantine Mosaic was my favorite too. I remember actually needing to stand up and pace while reading some parts.

I have a big book pile to read before I get any more books. I don't read as fast as some of you freaks! Wish I could.
 

williamjm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2006
Messages
832
Finnien said:
Sarantine Mosaic was probably my favorite two books, for reasons I can't name =)
Maybe the reason was the Chariot Races, they were great fun , I thought.
 

Tsujigiri

Waiting at the Crossroads
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
961
Location
Under a pile of paper
I enjoyed this author quite a lot, and I am a fairly discerning reader nowadays, I don't have a lot of time so I tend to discard books which aren't of an immediately noticeable calibre.
 
Top