Books You Shouldn't Read

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
OK recomendations for books that people shouldn't read and the reasons. Any genre not just SF&F.

Now this may seem a strange thread to start on Chronicles and some may say that such a list of books should be discouraged or frowned on (topic for another thread?) and until a few years ago I would have agreed with you. That is until I read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

I was diminished as a human being by this book. I was a different person after I had read it and not for the better. That book put things in my head that I wish weren't there.

So top of my list, and the only entry on mine so far, don't read:

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Last edited:
Paige Turner said:
I hate to start up any kind of controversy, so I'm going to go with The Bible, Koran, and Torah.
Hey! You took the words right off my keyboard! Well, specifically the Bible.
And my reasons? I think Mosaix's own words fit perfectly for that book too.

Mosaix said:
I was diminished as a human being by this book. I was a different person after I had read it and not for the better. That book put things in my head that I wish weren't there.
We're probably treading on dodgy ground, but nevertheless - that's my opinion.:D

Paige Turner said:
Nah, we're fine. What could happen?
*tests Paige's temperature*

Hon, you need some rest ... lots and lots of rest ... have you forgotten what country you're smack-dab next to???

Aw, go on. You guys talk a tough game, but you're a bunchy of softies. I could just give you all a great big hug… yes I could… yes I could! Who's a big scary country? Hmm? Who's a big scary country? * blows raspberry onto collective American tummy *

Paige Turner said:
Aw, go on. You guys talk a tough game, but you're a bunchy of softies. I could just give you all a great big hug… yes I could… yes I could! Who's a big scary country? Hmm? Who's a big scary country? * blows raspberry onto collective American tummy *
Oh, for Bokonnon's sake!!!

Paige Turner said:
Hahah haH a Hah aHAh aHAHa HAHaaa!!

I'm tempted to list a few of the authors that I loathe, but I won't. I feel there is value in reading the bad stuff, too.

Although, if pressed, I'd say avoid Robert Stanek. Not that he'll poison your mind or anything; you'll just genuinely wish you had your money back.

Paige Turner said:
I hate to start up any kind of controversy, so I'm going to go with The Bible, Koran, and Torah.

Reason: Because only misery can come of it. Don't make me quote statistics.

OK Paige I was wrong, there are four on my list. But at least American Psycho doesn't pretend to be anything but fiction.

red_temple said:
I'm tempted to list a few of the authors that I loathe, but I won't. I feel there is value in reading the bad stuff, too.

Although, if pressed, I'd say avoid Robert Stanek. Not that he'll poison your mind or anything; you'll just genuinely wish you had your money back.

Hi Red Temple, I should have made myself clearer in the opening post but it's too late to edit it now.

I wasn't referring to badly written books but books where the actual content, the ideas expressed, had a detrimental effect on the reader.

I wasn't referring to badly written books but books where the actual content, the ideas expressed, had a detrimental effect on the reader.
Would it really matter? If a badly written book or the content it's all the same. You wished you had never spent the money on it.
Question Paige, have you read all three books?

mosaix said:

But I really, really wished I had my $15 back from that. It bothered me for months. How's that for detrimental? :)

Seriously, I read a Chuck Palahniuk short story once that disturbed me quite a bit. I won't mention the name (largely because I can't remember it) or go into details of the story, though. Let's just say it was very well written and quite vivid. I found myself shaking my head for several days after to clear the imagery that kept creeping back.

I found myself thinking that I would rather have not read the story, given the option.

In all seriousness for a moment, suggesting that people don’t read some of the most important written works in human history because you disagree with their followers, their beliefs or what people have done in the name of those beliefs is a little silly and a lot short-sighted.

I’ve no use for worshipping or believing or the kind of ridiculous, destructive nonsense done in the name of religion, but the fact remains, those are some of the most important written works the world has ever known. I don’t know that I’d suggest reading them for enjoyment or entertainment, but I do believe at least a cursory once over is essential for anyone who desires a broader understanding of the world we live in and the people who populate it.

I didn’t need to believe or accept the beliefs of Krishnas, for instance, to understand and appreciate the Bhagavad Gita, just as I didn’t need to believe in or accept the teachings of Christianity to equip myself with a reading of the Bible. Can’t say I’m likely to ever want to go back to them, but I’m glad to have given myself these experiences. These texts have had a profound impact on the world. If I want to better understand my world, I feel like it behooves me to at least know something about them beyond my own prejudices.

red_temple said:
Seriously, I read a Chuck Palahniuk short story once that disturbed me quite a bit. I won't mention the name (largely because I can't remember it) or go into details of the story, though. Let's just say it was very well written and quite vivid. I found myself shaking my head for several days after to clear the imagery that kept creeping back.

I found myself thinking that I would rather have not read the story, given the option.

THAT's the kind of thing I mean.

We need to know the title so we can ignore it. :)

Shoegaze99 said:
In all seriousness for a moment, suggesting that people don’t read some of the most important written works in human history because you disagree with their followers, their beliefs or what people have done in the name of those beliefs is a little silly and a lot short-sighted.

I’ve no use for worshipping or believing or the kind of ridiculous, destructive nonsense done in the name of religion, but the fact remains, those are some of the most important written works the world has ever know. I don’t know that I’d suggest reading them for enjoyment or entertainment, but I do believe at least a cursory once over is essential for anyone who desires a broader understanding of the world we live in and the people who populate it.

I didn’t need to believe or accept the beliefs of Krishnas, for instance, to understand and appreciate the Bhagavad Gita, just as I didn’t need to believe in or accept the teachings of Christianity to equip myself with a reading of the Bible. Can’t say I’m likely to ever want to go back to them, but I’m glad to have given myself these experiences. These texts have had a profound impact on the world. If I want to better understand my world, I feel like it behooves me to at least know something about them beyond my own prejudices.
Very well said, Shoegaze99.

Hmmm. We seem to have gotten somewhat off-topic ... so I'm going to run with what's been brought up...

Speaking as an (technically) agnostic (practically speaking, atheist), I've no use for religion; but I do think that the Bible, or the Koran, or any other such book can indeed be read both for insight and for pleasure. Depending, for one thing, on the translation. The King James version of the Bible, for instance, is an exquisite work of English literature. Many of the newer versions, however, are dreck. Period. They may have more "accurate" translations, but they are tiresome and about as entertaining to read as a badly-smudged list of ingredients on a cereal box. So, no, I wouldn't condemn any of the "holy books" outright ... just as guides for living one's life.

That said, I'm not too certain about the whole idea of condemning any book outright, as what some have found uplifting and inspiring, I've found pushing me close to slitting a wrist; and vice versa. It all depends on what the individual takes from a work; and so I'd be loath to put my own personal hatreds out there and possibly deprive someone who might have found something very important but for my opening my big mouth.

That is just my 2c, but on this I'm pretty much immovable.

the smiling weirwood said:
There are bad books? As in not just poorly written?

Ummm, yes... The Necronomicon; The King in Yellow (play, not the short story collection); the Liber Ivonis, the Unaussprechlichen Kulten; the Ponape Scriptures.....:D

Are they evil in some way? I just can't fathom not wanting to have read a book unless it was just a stupid waste of time and money like Goodkind!*spits name disgustedly*

Back