The apostrophe in names - is it just me?

mosaix said:
Star Torturer I can't believe you went to the trouble to do that.

You many not believe it, but two of the names were correct.

a) was wrong--a battleship would be a StaStaGum-Kur

b) was spot on

c) was correct, but it needed a hyphen (StaStaGar-Fer)

You get two stars! :D

yay, i only got it rong because i dint go back to read the original post

ps: i only did it cause i needed to get out more from the tearooms

Rane Longfox said:
If used consistantly, with a correct linguistic explanation, it's fine. When you get stuff like the "Wi'tch" series, it's just plain annoying, aye.

Tell you what mate, after reading about people pointing at her saying "wi'tch, wi'tch, you're a wi'tch", the book died for me. It still lies there on my bookshelf, gathering dust.

Anomander said:
Tell you what mate, after reading about people pointing at her saying "wi'tch, wi'tch, you're a wi'tch", the book died for me. It still lies there on my bookshelf, gathering dust.

Welcome to the Chronicles Anomander.

Anomander said:
Thank you, thank you very much.

Do you know there is an 'introductions' thread where everyone can get to know you? Give it a try - you will be surprised how friendly everyone is.

When apostrophes are included for no reason it's annoying, but if there's a plausible reason it can be positive. I hesitate to use any Star Wars books as examples of good writing, but I liked Zahn's explanations of apostrophes in the Chiss names. Each Chiss name has a root name and a prefix and suffix based on the family one belonged to. The two apostrophes were always the second and second to last sounds in the root name. So, for example, Thrawn's full name is Mitth'raw'nuruodo.

As with anything, its not the apostrophes that are bad or good, its how they are used.

murphy said:
I think it was Anne McCaffrey who first started it. When you impressed a dragon and became a dragon rider, your name automatically lost a vowel and gained an apostrophe. Didn't bother me. The later usages did.
yes, when a rider was impressed, his name would be contracted, eg: Kevin = k'van. although this was only for male riders, apparently it was a thread fighting thing, because when the dragons were flying thread they would talk very quickly. it was a badge of honour.

The contraction made sense in the Pern books and the reason was explained. The contractions were also consistent so the reader got into the flow and rhythm of the names.

Many of the recent names though seem to have an apostrophe for no particular rhyme or reason. Almost as if they were the latest fashion accessory or writer's accessory in this case.

UH OH..looks like the Princess is back....:D

*GOLLUM runs to take cover to avoid a barrage of frozen items*

BTW nice to see you around...:)

it is new and improved princess, no frozen poultry in sight! (although we all know what can be hidden under my chair):D