Writers contests

dustinzgirl

Mod of Awesome
Hello, I was thinking we should have a verifiable contest board...that is, not cheap poetry.com or self-publish or junk contests.....Most contests will have an entry fee, but many are reputable.

Here is the one I am going to be entering.

http://www.writersdigest.com/contests/

Is this kind of diary of competitions not already available somewhere on the web? I'm in the UK, and there's two or three websites I tend to go to if I need to find out about new competitions. But those may not be comprehensive, and certainly wouldn't include comprehensive coverage of international competitions outside the UK.

Does anyone else have suggestions of websites that are useful for keeping an eye on writing competitions? No point re-inventing the wheel if it's already been done. But if it hasn't, then I'll all for this idea!

The Legends of Mernac site almost always has a fantasy writing contest. They just completed a Seven Wonders contest (where you write a story about a fantasy world "wonder" - you know like The Hanging Gardens of Babalon). They currently have a US $500.00 contest for the writer that comes up with the best Fantasy Villian. Open to anyone - no entry fees.

I routine recommend that writers not enter contests that charge fees to enter. It's just not worth it.

Writer's Digest, particularly, imparts a bad taste to me. I don't see them as trying to help writers, but to exploit writers as a cash crop. Their allegiance lies in the areas where their bread is buttered, namely their advertisers (including songwriter ripoffs, fake "how to write" gurus, and vanity presses) and the publisher and agents who provide them with the information they hock in their market lists.

They are also one of the more abusive publications I've ever queried or talked to about articles.

Alot of writers say never enter a contest with an entry fee. I think it's foolish. If you look at the three hundred or so small press magazines and e-zines that publish short speculative fiction -- only a dozen pay around 5 cents a word, and that's if you're lucky. And out of those magazines only a few publish new writers. Great odds?

I think I'd rather try my luck at a few contests. And
just because a contest charges an entry fee doesn't make it a bad idea to enter. If the prize money is decent ($500 +) and the entry fee is under $10 I can't see it as a bad deal. Far less people spend money on entry fees while thousands submit freely to magazines.

And if you don't have the money for an entry fee -- I suggest trying the The Writers of the Future Contest. The prize money is good -- better than what you would make at Asimov's or Relams of Fantasy. And no entry fee.

I'm also not really sure about the writer's digest competitions. Things depend though, but as I look at the numbers and such, I have a bad feeling about them, but feel free to enter.

On the other hand, I don't think all contests that charge a fee should be skipped. The trouble I mostly have with contests is that mostly you can't see how good you scored, unless you are amongst the winners. Say a thousand people enter and the top 5 gains prizes. If you aren't amongst the 5 best, how well was your story received? Were you in 6th place or in 880th place? The only thing you can see is how good/what type of story the winning stories were.

If your stories aren't yet accepted by magazines on a regular basis, I don't think you should try enter contests with an entry fee.

Disregarding this all, good luck to those who enter contests.:)

If your stories aren't yet accepted by magazines on a regular basis, I don't think you should try enter contests with an entry fee.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. But the reason that contests have an entry fee is so they can afford to give a prize and pay judges (and make a profit as well) so most contests have entry fees, but you have to avoid them as much as possible until you've been published a few times IMO.

More than one of the books I've read by writers on writing say to sort of eschew the whole idea of paying fees for anything, unless you can make it a legitimate investment in a profit-making enterprise. The idea is to make them pay you, not the other way around.

Writing contests are money-making enterprises fueled by starry-eyed chumps.

Anybody who tries to sell themselves on it being some sort of shrewd business decision to enter one is showing the kind of self-delusion tht will gut them quick in the writing business.