Neverwhere

I'm reading this at the mo and love it! Not read any of his stuff before but might see what else of his I want to read after. I went out and bought the Neverwhere DVD too. :D The book's better than the TV show, so much funnier!
Make sure you check out his seminal work Sandman comic series that was written in the 1990s. I have the entire collection and it is awesome. Aso don't forget the movie Stardust is now out. I'm going to see it over the weekend, this Sunday in fact.

When I was a long-haul truck driver I listened to this book, unabridged, on tape. Then I went out and bought the book, which I have revisited time and again. I am a Croup and Vandemar groupie! :) I like the twisted fairytale bent Mr. Gaiman has. It's fun enough for older kids and savvy enough for adults. I would love to see a proper movie made, or even a "Nightmare Before Christmas" kind of treatment (not a musical, mind you, but the animation might be fantastic).

It's funny that the book came after the TV show, which just goes to show that Gaiman wanted to take the TV series further than he could. It would be interesting to see how Neverwhere would be produced on TV now. I heard ages ago that Jim Henson Productions had the broadcast / film rights to it - wonder if it will see the light of day again.

I watched the TV series because my daughter, Rhiannon Lassiter, was an extra in it! But read the book much later and didn't realise it was written afterwards. It was certainly better.

The only other Gaiman I've read is his share of Good Omens (a book I love). Oh, and the kids' books Coraline and The Wolves in the Walls. Nearly saw the film of Stardust but Elizabeth: The Golden Age won out on the night. On second thoughts I think we should have gone with the Gaiman!

I'm afraid graphic novels are not my thing but what other straight fiction of his wouild people recommend?

Mary

I'm halfway through this book, which is slightly disturbing and most excellent :)

Do you ever find out what "The Messrs" (Croup and Vandemar) are? On the one hand I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be some kind of undead monsters. On the other, if Neil left them unexplained it would keep them that much more creepy and memorable.

I have watched the majority of the TV series of it and then accidently wiped it from my computer (smart one).

I am trying very hard to find the book anywhere but the net because I just don't like buying things off the net.

You can find the entire mini-series on Youtube.

My wife bought Neverwhere for me from Waterstone in town :)

Loved the ending by the way, the book ended up better than the original series!

Thanks Joel, I look it up.

Must find the book. Time for me to go book shopping in the city.

I love this book! I'd have to go with the majority and say the Marquis is excellent; a really un-likeable anti-hero, who I somehow can't help liking.

When the series came out I was 15, and spent a lot of time hanging around on the underground (back when it was cheaper) and it really caught my imagination. Croup in particular is excellent, and my other half still uses his inflection for 'naughty!' when he tells our kids off.

The book is better than the series, but I don't find that either gets in the way of the other, and for the supporting characters actually help flesh out the pictures in my head.

Love it! Love it a lot!

Neverwhere really grabbed me. I've always enjoyed "ordinary people get caught up in a world of magic" stories, ESPECIALLY the whole "hidden world" angle. A very, very fun read.

I loved this book but for whatever reason found the graphic novel disappointment. Maybe it's that whole thing about rather having to imagine it yourself? I thought it would be a lot grittier and darker, a la some of the Sandman comics.

I wish I knew what it was about Gaiman's writing. It is just so awesome.

This is probably one of my favourite Neil Gaiman books, even though it's a short one. I love the Marquis de Carabas and Old Bailey with his little flag!

I liked the TV series of it too, especially the choice of actor for de Carabas because I know him as Johnson out of Peep Show, which made me giggle. All in all though I thought the series was quite good, and didn't miss out anything much I would have considered important to the story.

I wish I was an Opener, you could have so much fun!

I've been trying to get this book read forever, but Uni keeps getting in the way. You all are making me want to put down the Chem, and pick the book up again!

You definitely should, it'd probably only take you a day or two to read. Or you could get it as an audio book and listen to it on the way to work or something?

Loved it! Although there were a couple of big loose ends. Where's the sequel?
he was writing a novella how The Marquis Got His Coat Back but it still remains half finished. I'm sure it will come full circle at some stage into the future.

meantime you should get the BBC production Neil and Lenny henry did for BBC TV way bacj when. Althoguh it has copped osme criticism inlcuding from Neil himself overall it's not a bad flick. It also has audio commentary by Neil for all 6 episodes and an interview with the man himself. I got it at JB HI FI in Melbourne.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Werthead Neil Gaiman 1
R Neil Gaiman 0
R Neil Gaiman 3